Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Shockey leaves former 'Canes to join current Giants

RedskinzOwnU

maybe we can get sean's worthless butt back up here too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2047003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Tight end Jeremy Shockey, absent so far from offseason workouts and the subject of recent entreaties from coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning was en route to New York on Tuesday evening to join Giants teammates for the conditioning program.

Shockey has spent much of the offseason to this point in Miami, working out with former college teammates and other league players, and suggesting his regimen there is perhaps even more challenging than the team's program. As he traveled to the airport Tuesday, Shockey reiterated that his boycott of the voluntary workouts were meant neither as an affront to Coughlin or his teammates.

Instead, he said, the workouts remain, he believes, the best way to challenge himself and prepare for the rigors of the season. There is, both Shockey and agent Drew Rosenahaus maintained, no hidden agenda.

"There is no mystery," said Shockey, the team's first-round pick in the 2002 draft. "It's just the way that I believe is best for me to get ready. This is about me helping me which, in turn, helps the team. It's just a personal preference. If anybody saw me, they'd know what I've been putting myself through."

In the next day or so, Giants coaches and players will apparently be able to see for themselves the results of Shockey's offseason endeavors. They won't have to just take his word for the kind of shape into which he has whipped himself after a spate of injuries that have affected his production.

How long Shockey participates in the formal program, where attendance is voluntary but where just about everyone else shows up, is uncertain. But Rosenhaus said his client feels it is time to start conforming and, as well, to end widespread confusion about his absence.

Staying away from the Giants program is not, Rosenhaus said, a ploy aimed at landing a new contract.

"Have we discussed his contract situation with the Giants?' said Rosenhaus. "Of course, we have. But there have been no negotiations. Nothing is imminent. Jeremy just feels like working down here (in Miami) is the best thing for him. And, believe me, if you ever saw the way these guys work and push each other, you'd never doubt his resolve. It's not as if he's in hiding. It isn't like he's out of contact with the Giants people."

Indeed, even Coughlin noted recently that he and Shockey speak weekly.

Two weeks ago, Manning phoned Shockey to seek to have him join the program, so that the two could work out together and develop an enhanced sense for each other. When news of Manning's call went public, Shockey was not pleased, but the players have since spoken and smoothed things over.

But Coughlin, who has been about as tolerant concerning Shockey's absence as he has been with just about anything in his NFL coaching career, suggested strongly over the weekend that it might be time for the tight end to report for the workouts.

"I feel very much that he'll be here at some point in time, hopefully sooner," Coughlin told the New York media.

And so, sooner it will be, now that Shockey is headed to New York.

"Hopefully," Rosenhaus said, "this will put an end to a non-story."

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

"Hopefully," Rosenhaus said, "this will put an end to a non-story."

Originally posted by Kevin B.

"It's not as if he's in hiding. It isn't like he's out of contact with the Giants people.""

Yeah but your other client Sean Taylor is you douche-bag. I seriously hate this guy.

I'm really not seeing why this is such a big deal. It would be different if he was just sitting on his butt, doing nothing at home. Bottom line is he is working out with arguably the best athletes in the NFL. As long as he shows up to training camp in shape, and ready to work I believe this is a non-issue.

It's not a big deal, but it is an annoyance. The bottom line is that the team has expressed its desire to have these guys at Redskin Park and the U guys answer to a different authority. I'm excluding Moss from this b/c he's in the process (one would assume) of negotiating a new deal, but does anyone really think it would be hugely different if he weren't doing a new deal?

I guess the difference is: You can work your butts off during the day and party with those South Beach honeys at night. The other difference is you can sleep in and schedule your workouts at 10 AM or 11 AM and not those early 9 AM workouts Coughlin probably demands.

Originally posted by Kevin B.

He's disrespecting the coach bynpt returning his calls. We all know he's working out and we know why he's not in town (Rosenhaus)...

He just can't own up to it like a man an return the coach's calls?

That to me is the big deal.

Thank you. I assume he'll be physically ready.

But what kind of punk doesn't return his coach's phone calls?

The coach whom he promised he would not make any trouble for when he was drafted...

remember his first press conference? "I just wanna earn my stripes."

Originally posted by The Full Monty

Thank you. I assume he'll be physically ready.

But what kind of punk doesn't return his coach's phone calls?

The coach whom he promised he would not make any trouble for when he was drafted...

remember his first press conference? "I just wanna earn my stripes."

:laugh: , it's ok you'll be cheering again come August.

Originally posted by demarc007

:laugh: , it's ok you'll be cheering again come August.

Come up with a new line. Noooo, we'll boo the 'skins b/cuz of Taylor! What insight you have! But, the simple fact is that he IS showing disrespect by not contacting his current employer.

Originally posted by herrmag

Come up with a new line. Noooo, we'll boo the 'skins b/cuz of Taylor! What insight you have! But, the simple fact is that he IS showing disrespect by not contacting his current employer.

I need to get a new line, but all you play is the disrespect card. Whatever.

Just look at the ages of the posters who think it's alright to workout at Miami and ignore Gibbs' requests.

These are young guys, who don't know much about the Redskins history, about tradition, about pride, about integrity.

These are young kids... they are the "ME" generation. The "Give me what I want today.... and you'll get yours when I'm damn good and ready" mentality.

Just the way it is with kids nowadays.

I need to get a new line, but all you play is the disrespect card. Whatever.

Whatever??? The disrepect card trumps all, except for your ignorance card.:doh: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Die Hard

Just look at the ages of the posters who think it's alright to workout at Miami and ignore Gibbs' requests.

These are young guys, who don't know much about the Redskins history, about tradition, about pride, about integrity.

These are young kids... they are the "ME" generation. The "Give me what I want today.... and you'll get yours when I'm damn good and ready" mentality.

Exactly, Die Hard!!!

:cheers:

It sounds like you are taking this thing a bit too personally.

The media "spin" on it might seem disrespectful to you, and I honestly don't think it's right, either...

BUT....

We don't know the whole story. Sean might be partying, sure. He also might be working out and doesn't want to face coach right now.

You ever been so late to work that you just didn't show up and figured you'd just deal with it tomorrow?

Yea, I used to do that when I had a normal job or one that required my attendance at specific times. I was young, too.

Give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. Why not assume he's actually working out?

Originally posted by Die Hard

I was thinking the same thing myself.

And Demarc, of course I play the "disrespect card". That's the whole point, isn't it? I'm not sure how it's playing a card, when it's both the truth and the point of the whole debate.

***EDIT: I do believe Sean Taylor will be in shape, and I understand he may need time off. But picking up a phone and calling back your coach (whom you know has tried to contact you) to tell him that you're not ready to report would seem like the logical thing to do.

I was thinking the same thing myself.

And Demarc, of course I play the "disrespect card". That's the whole point, isn't it? I'm not sure how it's playing a card, when it's both the truth and the point of the whole debate.

***EDIT: I do believe Sean Taylor will be in shape, and I understand he may need time off. But picking up a phone and calling back your coach (whom you know has tried to contact you) to tell him that you're not ready to report would seem like the logical thing to do.

The reason I say you're playing a card is because YOU see it as disrespect. The organization could just take it as the nature of the business. Taylor is not the first player to not return a phone call, are you kidding me. Arrington showed far more disrespect than Taylor with is tirade but I guess it's the in thing to do to bash the kid.

The reason I say you're playing a card is because YOU see it as disrespect. The organization could just take it as the nature of the business. Taylor is not the first player to not return a phone call, are you kidding me. Arrington showed far more disrespect than Taylor with is tirade but I guess it's the in thing to do to bash the kid.

Check out the threads on that very topic and get back to me. This is not singling out Sean Taylor. This is Sean Taylor singling out himself.

Archived