Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Desean Jackson contract

dockeryfan

OK. We all know he's underpaid and needs a new deal. He needs 6 games on the roster to get an accrued season. I believe it's six, because that's how it went down with Vincent Jackson, right? He sat out 10 games then came back for the last six. The Chargers gave him the franchise tag this year.

So if I'm Desean Jackson, I seriously think about playing 6 games, then sitting out the last 10. If he gets hurt and it ends his career the Eagles owe him nothing. His current salary is 555,000. That's 34,687.50 a game. If he sits out the last 10 games he forfeits 346K. Peanuts when his new deal comes around. (The Eagles could attempt to recoup the prorated signing bonus which would be an extra 338K) He still gets his year of eligibility. He can be a free agent next year or they can franchise him. Either way he starts getting paid in line with his value to the team.

As a business move, it's the right thing to do. There's way too much liability on his end.

As a business move, it's the right thing to do. There's way too much liability on his end.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/129898463.html

DeSean Jackson said that he took a multi-million dollar insurance policy out on himself in early August during his training camp holdout. The details were finalized last week just before the season opener at St. Louis, according to the Eagles wide receiver.

Asked Thursday how much the policy was worth Jackson said he didn't know the exact figure, only that the value was in the "millions."

He took out a multi-million insurance policy on his body a couple weeks ago I believe...

edit: if Vick is still out or gets knocked out for the season I wouldn't play if I was him though. Very little chance they will probably do extremely well to super bowl status with Young or Kafka.

Can the Eagles afford another big contract?

I think all of the people they signed not named Ashomuga, DRC, and Vick are all on one year deals. If they give him the big contract, it won't count against the cap this year. Eagles are playing with fire right now as they should have had an extension for him already. Also think, McCoy will be due something soon and Maclin.

He will not get the big contract he seeks in Philly because they never pay out big contracts to their players. Philly is cheap and they get players to play for a average contract but never a big one. They put all their money into Vick without considering Jackson. Now with Vick having a concussion they better worry about the "Dream Team" becoming a nightmare. The defense can only keep them in the game for so long before they get wore down and eventually lose games. Without Vick as the starter the Eagles will be an average team. And if Jackson does decide to sit out after 6 games they will be toast. So DeSean you better be prepared for a big disappointment from philly in the offseason and beyond because they wouldn't pay you what you think you are worth.

He will not get the big contract he seeks in Philly because they never pay out big contracts to their players. Philly is cheap and they get players to play for a average contract but never a big one. They put all their money into Vick without considering Jackson. Now with Vick having a concussion they better worry about the "Dream Team" becoming a nightmare. The defense can only keep them in the game for so long before they get wore down and eventually lose games. Without Vick as the starter the Eagles will be an average team. And if Jackson does decide to sit out after 6 games they will be toast. So DeSean you better be prepared for a big disappointment from philly in the offseason and beyond because they wouldn't pay you what you think you are worth.

Wow. You say the Eagles are cheap, yet also say that they paid out big money to Vick. As for DeSean dogging it, did you see him outrun everyone on the field and give up his body to bring down that Falcon defender? Somehow, DJax will get paid.

I agree with the principle but I hope DeSean doesn't do that. Because there is something way more valuable to a person of his caliber other than money. That is his reputation. If he were to sit out for 10 games for financial reasons, NFL teams would take notice and he still wouldn't get as much as he should. Everyone from fans to personnel in the front offices know that he's terribly underpaid but him playing every game gives him a good reputation and good standing with the league.

:helmet:

DeSean is just not that good. He's not an elite WR...he's a big play guy only. The league is catching up with him and his value is dimiinished.

As for the Eagles needing Vick...I don't think so. It's a system team...granted Vick runs the system very well.

DeSean is a gamebreaker. True gamebreakers are hard to acquire in the NFL, in his young career DeSeans already won them a number of games with this ability, i.e Giants game last season. Even though I don't care for some of his arrogant moves on the field (except the tossed away ball at the one vs Dallas of course) I do respect him for eventually showing up and playing this season instead of pulling a Vincent Jackson. He deserves a new contract, but on the other hand it's hard to rip the Eagles too much because we have no clue what he's asking for.

I believe they should do what the Titans did for Chris Johnson last year, give him a couple extra million for this season then try and work on it in the offseason.

DeSean is just not that good. He's not an elite WR...he's a big play guy only. The league is catching up with him and his value is dimiinished.

As for the Eagles needing Vick...I don't think so. It's a system team...granted Vick runs the system very well.

joke post? Has to be.

Archived