Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how would you reach a deal between the NFL owners and players?

88Comrade2000

I still think there will be a lockout because they are enough owners who will only settle for a complete reversal of what was agreed to in 2006 and they are willing to lose a season.

You need 24 votes to pass something and I think there's at least 9 owners who will remain hardline.

That said, how would you reach an agreement between the players and owners?

how would you reach an agreement between the players and owners?

I think there will be an 11th hour deal. The owners aren't stupid, they know what a cash cow the NFL is, and they'll come to a compromise just in time for free agency and the draft.

Keep the faith, brotha!

Do you know which owners are "holding out?"

My ignorant opinion:

- Extend the season to 18 games and add a bi-week (2 total)

- Reduce the existing percentage of revenue for player salaries by owners by 15% (5% immediately, 10% after three years)

- Make all contracts 40% guaranteed (capped) for the duration and ban guaranteed bonuses of any kind with a max duration of 4 years. A team seeking to keep a free agent can sign a player to a 60% guaranteed contract of 5 years in length. No fancy timing either, total contract divided by years = yearly salary. Money is only guaranteed if you are on the active roster for longer than 4 games.

- Any action by the player to willfully choose to not participate in mandatory team activities results in a forfeiture of the entire remaining amount of guaranteed money on a contract. No recoup of any previously paid funds.

- Eliminate the franchise tag and restricted free agency.

- Rookie salary cap and 30% guaranteed (capped) contract for the 1st round only. No cap for any subsequent round. Max contract length of 3 years.

- Increase roster size 6 and salary cap as needed to accommodate the increase

Benefits to owners:

- Massive amount of money directed back to themselves.

- They get to cancel guaranteed money on contracts for bad behavior.

- Rookie salary cap

- Extension of season

Benefit to players:

- All contracts come with partially guaranteed funds

- Franchise and restricted free agency gone. The decision to stay or go is entirely their own, though they'd have to turn down valuable incentives to do so.

Benefit to players:

- All contracts come with partially guaranteed funds

- Franchise and restricted free agency gone. The decision to stay or go is entirely their own, though they'd have to turn down valuable incentives to do so.

More work for less pay and less security? :rolleyes:

I don't think so.

Look for the union break the anti-trust exemption, opening the way for a new league...or, getting just about the same contract with the same amount of games they have now.

It'd be one thing if TV revenues were going down, but that's not happening.

The anti-trust exemption elimination is the only weapon the players have, and it's very, very effective.

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

- Extend the season to 18 games and add a bi-week (2 total)
I can't see the season going 18 games. Even the owners need to see through the green to the toll the season takes on players. Perhaps they come to an agreement of adding one game and removing 2 preseason games.
- Any action by the player to willfully choose to not participate in mandatory team activities results in a forfeiture of the entire remaining amount of guaranteed money on a contract. No recoup of any previously paid funds.
They'd need set guidelines on amount of allowable mandatory activities. Otherwise your idea leaves too much power in the hands of the owners.
- Rookie salary cap and 30% guaranteed (capped) contract for the 1st round only. No cap for any subsequent round. Max contract length of 3 years.
I'm in favor of the rookie cap but will be a huge debate on how it is designed. A specific sliding scale per draft slot regardless of position? The one thing I could see from this would be teams at the top of the draft selecting QB's then trading. Is this bad...not sure but certainly different draft strategies.

I think the cap would need to be for all rounds not just the first. Otherwise the players selected at the top of the second round would potentially have bigger contracts than selections at the bottom of the first round.

- Increase roster size 6 and salary cap as needed to accommodate the increase
This is a must if the season is extended at all. Could see one slot designated for a QB.

I'm with Hitman believing in an 11th hour deal being struck.

Shoot the idiots who think adding 2 games is good for football. A 18 game season ensures that the NFL turns into flag football.

I think most people that are paying attention agree with you. The problem is that what fans think "is good for football" doesn't seem to be in line with "what makes football money". I hate the rule changes that make it easier on offenses but apparently they've been popular and are considered successful. 2 more games would be more money for the league...

I personally think it means more injuries and as a result more rules to try and stop injuries.

I spent like 20 minutes typing my answer and then lost it, when I had to relog in. Grrrr.

Will try again later today.

I think most of the owners opposed are the usual cheap spenders. Ralph Wilson, Mike Brown, Bill Bidwell immediately come to mind. Heck, I think even a couple of the big spenders like say Jerry Jones and maybe even Dan Snyder wouldn't mind a lockout for a while.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

I think most people that are paying attention agree with you. The problem is that what fans think "is good for football" doesn't seem to be in line with "what makes football money". I hate the rule changes that make it easier on offenses but apparently they've been popular and are considered successful. 2 more games would be more money for the league...

I personally think it means more injuries and as a result more rules to try and stop injuries.

I'm in the column for more football but think a compromise can be reached at say 17 games. If that works for a while, then maybe at some future negotiation they consider 18 games.

..... A 18 game season ensures that the NFL turns into flag football.
Take away a preseason game and add ONE regular season game and also add a bye week

Bam....you just extended the season by 2 weeks without adding to much to the players schedule

2 games is a lot...Football is brutal...Management is asking for to much...Baby steps

My prediction. The second the players agree to an 18 game schedule this is over.

The owners already have a percentage in mind that they'll go to (say, 55%?) but they will lowball the percentage of the pie (50%?) to get the players to come down a bit from their demands. Eventually the players will trickle down to say, 53% or so. Then the owners will say: We'll give you 55% if we go 18 games. Lockout over.

I always thought the second the players agreed to 18 this is over. I still do......

I know it's a very complicated process, but I just want to know why in a "billion" dollar industry, they can't split things 50/50.

To put it simply, each side believes they deserve more of the pie for various reason. The owners have to pay the players and coaches, stadium costs (including staff), etc. The players feel they deserve more because they're the ones putting their bodies on the line and providing the entertainment (and therefore revenue) that the owners enjoy. Splitting it 50/50 would make too much sense and leave both sides unhappy so it won't happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I will finally post my solution.

Well, the owners want more of the pie and the players like it now or wouldn't mind more.

To increase the pie, you need to get more revenue. The best way to do that is through additional TV packages.

-- Expand the season by one to 17 games and add an additional bye. That will give the owners the 2 additional weeks of games they seek and the players get another bye week.

-- With a 17th game, you can now have permanent regional rivalry games every year. Most teams have natural regional rivalries like Jets- Giants. The ones that don't you will just create rivalries. Every 4 years those rivalries would have a home and away when those divisions play each other.

-- Those regional rivalries would take care of the 16 extra games available by expanding the season to 17 and you would sell those extra games to a network like TNT or TBS. I thought TNT did a great job when they had football.

-- With an extra 16 games in a 17 game season; only half the teams could have 9 home games. To solve that problem you reward the 8 division winners that extra 9th home game. An extra incentive to win the division. The other 8 games can be neutral site games in the North America or overseas. The one caveat- no division games can be played at a neutral site but other games good. I'm sure you could come up with a TV package for the neutral site games if you wanted.

-- Preseason would just be 2 weeks.

-- Players pay are adjusted accordingly to a 17 game season.

-- The rosters are expanded to 55 and 50 players are available on game day.

-- Change IR rules so a players doesn't have to miss an entire season unless it's absolute necessary.

-- Agree to a 53-47 owner/ player revenue split.

-- The draft is reduced to 5 rounds. Day 1- Round 1 , Day 2- Round 2, Day 3- **Bonus Pick Round and Rounds 3-5

-- ** I am reducing the draft by 2 rounds but before Round 3 begins, there's a Bonus Round. Teams that failed to finish with a winning record; would be given a bonus round pick before the third round.

-- Comp picks would now be assessed from Rounds 1 through 5.

-- There will be a rookie wage scale where players agree to a 2 year initial deal. After year 2 they can be come restricted free agents if they don't agree to a new deal. Full free agents in year 4.

-- Get rid of the franchise tag but have transitional tags where players are free to shop themselves anywhere and teams can have a right to match. If the team loses a players they will get comp pick in that years draft. The deadline to sign would be 2 weeks before the draft.

-- Free Agency is 3 weeks after the Superbowl

-- The Combine is moved to early April. Basically, you have free agency first and then you go to the combine and assess players and then have the draft

-- The draft is moved to Early May.

-- Superbowl would now be played on President Day's Weekend- I did steal that suggestion from PFT. A national holiday.

-- I would study for the first half of the contract to see whether adding 2 more teams to the playoffs would be worth it. Say you have a contract of 6 years and midway through you see whether or not you want to expand the playoffs.

-- Reach some agreement with some spring/summer league so you can have a real minor league where those players would be eligible to comp to camp.

Sure there can be more additional ways to get more money.

Well, I will finally post my solution.

Well, the owners want more of the pie and the players like it now or wouldn't mind more.

To increase the pie, you need to get more revenue. The best way to do that is through additional TV packages.

-- Expand the season by one to 17 games and add an additional bye. That will give the owners the 2 additional weeks of games they seek and the players get another bye week.

-- With a 17th game, you can now have permanent regional rivalry games every year. Most teams have natural regional rivalries like Jets- Giants. The ones that don't you will just create rivalries. Every 4 years those rivalries would have a home and away when those divisions play each other.

-- Those regional rivalries would take care of the 16 extra games available by expanding the season to 17 and you would sell those extra games to a network like TNT or TBS. I thought TNT did a great job when they had football.

-- With an extra 16 games in a 17 game season; only half the teams could have 9 home games. To solve that problem you reward the 8 division winners that extra 9th home game. An extra incentive to win the division. The other 8 games can be neutral site games in the North America or overseas. The one caveat- no division games can be played at a neutral site but other games good. I'm sure you could come up with a TV package for the neutral site games if you wanted.

-- Preseason would just be 2 weeks.

-- Players pay are adjusted accordingly to a 17 game season.

-- The rosters are expanded to 55 and 50 players are available on game day.

-- Change IR rules so a players doesn't have to miss an entire season unless it's absolute necessary.

-- Agree to a 53-47 owner/ player revenue split.

-- The draft is reduced to 5 rounds. Day 1- Round 1 , Day 2- Round 2, Day 3- **Bonus Pick Round and Rounds 3-5

-- ** I am reducing the draft by 2 rounds but before Round 3 begins, there's a Bonus Round. Teams that failed to finish with a winning record; would be given a bonus round pick before the third round.

-- Comp picks would now be assessed from Rounds 1 through 5.

-- There will be a rookie wage scale where players agree to a 2 year initial deal. After year 2 they can be come restricted free agents if they don't agree to a new deal. Full free agents in year 4.

-- Get rid of the franchise tag but have transitional tags where players are free to shop themselves anywhere and teams can have a right to match. If the team loses a players they will get comp pick in that years draft. The deadline to sign would be 2 weeks before the draft.

-- Free Agency is 3 weeks after the Superbowl

-- The Combine is moved to early April. Basically, you have free agency first and then you go to the combine and assess players and then have the draft

-- The draft is moved to Early May.

-- Superbowl would now be played on President Day's Weekend- I did steal that suggestion from PFT. A national holiday.

-- I would study for the first half of the contract to see whether adding 2 more teams to the playoffs would be worth it. Say you have a contract of 6 years and midway through you see whether or not you want to expand the playoffs.

-- Reach some agreement with some spring/summer league so you can have a real minor league where those players would be eligible to comp to camp.

Sure there can be more additional ways to get more money.

i like all ur ideas :)

Archived