Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times Blog: Corporation Says It Will Run for Congress

Mad Mike

I love it. :evilg:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/corporation-says-it-will-run-for-congress/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRKkXtxDRA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRKkXtxDRA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.murrayhillweb.com/pr-012510.html

“Until now,” Murray Hill Inc. said in a statement, “corporate interests had to rely on campaign contributions and influence peddling to achieve their goals in Washington. But thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, now we can eliminate the middle-man and run for office ourselves.”

:ols:

Why not? Corporations are people legally. We can just cut out the middle man. No one in this country cares that corporations that are legally obligated to be one track minded in their pursuit of profits are allowed to have basically unlimited access and influence in DC. So **** it let's just give them washington and then no one can complain that washington is bothering the private sector.

Good for Murray Hill, but I doubt it will get enough votes to win an election. Then again, Barney Frank keeps getting elected so I guess anything is possible.

That's because Barney Frank is as smart as hell and a very effective congressman.

You would have done better to say Chris Dodd or Sheila Jackson-Lee or any number of useless democrats in Congress. Frank does not deserve the abuse he gets from the Right.

You would have done better to say Chris Dodd or Sheila Jackson-Lee or any number of useless democrats in Congress. Frank does not deserve the abuse he gets from the Right.

I agree...especially about Sheila Jackson-Lee ,she is a blight by even congresscritters standards

I wish people took the time to understand the case recently decided, what the SC actually said and understood that McCain-Feingold didn't save the country from anything, nor was there a genuine crisis previous to that law or this decision, nor will there be one resulting.

Funny how no one talks about the corporate influence on the New Deal, regulations (even Upton Sinclair said the regulations and inspection regime were actually lobbied for by the packing industry, as it was a deterrent to the smaller competitors.)

Don't have a government involved in everything and you won't have corporations lobbying for influence.

It's also absurd that people don't look at unions, special interests across the map (from entire industries, to religious groups, to civil rights groups, etc) as just as great an influence/threat as corporations.

Good for Murray Hill, but I doubt it will get enough votes to win an election.

This is just the beginning, I'd bet. When major corporations follow his lead and start winning because they buy their way in, i wonder how much we'll enjoy it.

Senator Exxon and Senator Bank of America could have a lot more influence then they already do. It sucks to already be so beholden to them as it is,, I'd hate to become their 'constituents".

~Bang

Senator Exxon and Senator Bank of America could have a lot more influence then they already do. It sucks to already be so beholden to them as it is,, I'd hate to become their 'constituents".

~Bang

Senator and Congressperson Statist are a far bigger problem for the US and even without corporate contributions (Again, why do you overlook unions which use coerced funds and actively lobby to protect limited spheres of monopsony?) and will continue to be so.

I believe they already inhabit and dominate DC and even State Houses.

That's because Barney Frank is as smart as hell and a very effective congressman.

Yeah, He's a ******* genius. :rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQWk1Wp3L4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQWk1Wp3L4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is just the beginning, I'd bet. When major corporations follow his lead and start winning because they buy their way in, i wonder how much we'll enjoy it.

~Bang

I get the fealing that this may be a rare moment when you misunderstood the issue.

These guys are using this to demonstrate the absurdity of the supreme court ruling and to *stop* such a thing from actually happening.

I get the fealing that this may be a rare moment when you misunderstood the issue.

These guys are using this to demonstrate the absurdity of the supreme court ruling and to *stop* such a thing from actually happening.

Thanks, you may be right, I think I must have missed that. I am concerned that while this guy might be making an absurd point, that the joke won't be gotten, and actual big corps run for and win seats.

(Vote for Big Corp... or your fired!)

~Bang

Thanks, you may be right, I think I must have missed that. I am concerned that while this guy might be making an absurd point, that the joke won't be gotten, and actual big corps run for and win seats.

(Vote for Big Corp... or your fired!)

~Bang

There are specific requirements to run for office, one of them being a human being.

Yeah, He's a ******* genius. :rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQWk1Wp3L4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQWk1Wp3L4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's amazing what a joke this prick is and how he gets such a pass on the left and in the media regarding the real estate crisis.

It's also absurd that people don't look at unions, special interests across the map (from entire industries, to religious groups, to civil rights groups, etc) as just as great an influence/threat as corporations.

I'm pretty sure most people don't differentiate, even for a second, between the lobbying interests of "entire industries" and those of individual corporations. I doubt they would see any appreciable difference at all between the two. Far from "not looking" at one of them, they'd actually lump them together and call them corporate special interests.

Corporations are seen as the biggest threat, not the only threat. Be the "biggest" part accurate or inaccurate, corporations are a collective proxy for the entire problem including unions and other groups (*ahem*religiousgroups*ahem*). That's the way I see it anyway, and many of the folks whom I see carefully commenting on the problem seem to see it in a similar light.

There is a huge difference between social advocacy groups and for profit groups. The largest being funding and power the one that is often missed however is that they don't have a fiduciary responsibility to creating profit. They are allowed to think about OTHER FACTORS where as CEO and UNIONS are tasked solely with representing the best FINANCIAL interest of their organizations.

I put unions and corporations on the same level. Neither can be trusted to every act in the best interest of the nation in any way shape or form. Their responsibility is evidence of this, they are only allowed to pursue things that benefits them financially.

Destino, the fact they do not have to make a profit can be a problem as well.

Lobbying w/o consequence can certainly lead to faulty choices as well.

The growth of non-profits is a drain in many ways(1.5 million in 05)

The unemployment numbers and dwindling tax receipts show SOMEBODY better make a damn profit or this suckers going down.:mad:

Even O see's that.

Nonprofits bucked trend with job growth

Report: 2.7 percent work force increase in 2008 vs. 3.3 percent drop among for-profits

http://www.gazette.net/stories/01152010/businew175255_32562.php

Yeah smart enough to attempt to dance away from being part of the Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae fiasco when even 5 watt light bulbs know better

Archived