Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last time the Skins beat Dallas and were the better team?

justice98

Twice in 2005...we finished 10-6, they finished 9-7, we swept them 2-0, the 35-7 win at home in december was a complete pummeling from a good team to an inferior team.

The 2nd game in 05 the Skins were by far the better team. The first game that season was the Monday Night Miracle and the Skins were starting very slowly. By the time the 2nd game rolled around the Skins were firing on all cylinders and after they tore Dallas a new one (Dallas was still playing for a playoff spot too), they beat down the Giants and then the Eagles. 05 Skins team was pretty damn good - then they fizzled in the post season

And of course they choked, and failed to make the playoffs due to that loss. :)
Naturally... :) :dallasuck
Possibly...

I still think it might be 1991, week 2. We've been better than Dallas many times since then (a lot of the early 2000s) but they beat us a lot during those years.

You may be right...

Well, being the underdog seems to be working for us... so let's see what happens Sunday....

Hard to argue with the success we had in 2005. The first game was a miracle come back, but the 2nd was a blow out. Had Gibbs not called off the dogs we would have probably won that last game by 50 points. Dallas was emotionally completely out of the game by half time. Easily the most fun I've had at the stadium.

They didnt fizzle, the offense was just incapable of moving the football. God I miss Ryan Clark.

IIRC didn't Dockery or some other O-Line guy get hurt going into the Tampa game?

I wouldnt have said they were incapable of moving the ball until that game - they had beat the rest of the NFC East by a combined score of like 95-45 or something ridiculous the prior three weeks

IIRC didn't Dockery or some other O-Line guy get hurt going into the Tampa game?

I wouldnt have said they were incapable of moving the ball until that game - they had beat the rest of the NFC East by a combined score of like 95-45 or something ridiculous the prior three weeks

After that great end of the season run, we started playing run and hide football again in the paloffs. I don't think Gibbs ever opened up an offense except the 91 season and the end of the 05 season. Man that 91 season was exhilarating. I remember the week 10 newspaper headline read "Rypien and rollin'." That was my best Redskins season EVER!

After that great end of the season run, we started playing run and hide football again in the paloffs. I don't think Gibbs ever opened up an offense except the 91 season and the end of the 05 season. Man that 91 season was exhilarating. I remember the week 10 newspaper headline read "Rypien and rollin'." That was my best Redskins season EVER!

1983, over 13 yards per completion and a top 10 passing offense.

1986, almost 15 yards per completion and a top 10 passing offense.

1987, over 15 yards per completion and a top 5 passing team.

1988, only 1 team threw for more yards and no team scored through the air more often.

1989, at at the very top in passing yards and a top 5 in terms of completions.

1990, top 5 passing team.

1991, top 5 passing, few wimpy passes.

During the first Gibbs tenure, Gibbs was almost always wide open. 1982 was really his most conservative year and even then we were well above average in the passing department. Gibbs was a big play guy. His apparent conservative streak in his second tenure was mostly due to the fact he felt he didn't have the horses to do so. He may have been right as the games lost in 2005 regular season were mostly due to going wide open and the run at the end of the regular season was primarily due to a conservative offense.

1983, over 13 yards per completion and a top 10 passing offense.

1986, almost 15 yards per completion and a top 10 passing offense.

1987, over 15 yards per completion and a top 5 passing team.

1988, only 1 team threw for more yards and no team scored through the air more often.

1989, at at the very top in passing yards and a top 5 in terms of completions.

1990, top 5 passing team.

1991, top 5 passing, few wimpy passes.

During the first Gibbs tenure, Gibbs was almost always wide open. 1982 was really his most conservative year and even then we were well above average in the passing department. Gibbs was a big play guy. His apparent conservative streak in his second tenure was mostly due to the fact he felt he didn't have the horses to do so. He may have been right as the games lost in 2005 regular season were mostly due to going wide open and the run at the end of the regular season was primarily due to a conservative offense.

Yeah, yeah, yeah but the whole atmosphere around the team was different that year. They were picked in the preseason to win it all and when the cleaned the Lion's clock, it was like a Redskins festival for the rest of they season. I started watching the Skins the year they won the first Super bowl and have thought that the 91 season was by far the best season. Anyway, the last game against Dallas in 05 seemed to me to be the last time the truly superior team won.

Archived