Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marion Barry Didn't Pay His Taxes. Again.

Dan T.

Over-under on # of posts until an "Obama Cabinet Position" joke = 6.

Washington Post - Prosecutors Want Barry Jailed Over Tax Returns

By Del Quentin Wilber

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 10, 2009; A01

For the second time in two years, frustrated federal prosecutors took aim at Marion Barry's chronic failure to file his tax returns and urged a judge to put him in jail.

The move by authorities is the latest act in a long-running tug of war between authorities and the D.C. Council member over his tax status. In all, prosecutors say, Barry has failed to file his returns on time in eight of the past nine years.

Yesterday, they urged a federal judge to revoke Barry's probation for tax offenses just weeks before it expires.

Barry, 72, in the past has called such legal efforts "frivolous" and has said his tax problems are a "personal matter."

But prosecutors, who failed in a similar effort to have Barry jailed two years ago, don't see it that way.

"The defendant's conduct regarding tax year 2007 is indefensible," wrote Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas A. Zeno in a motion filed in U.S. District Court. "It is not acceptable for any citizen to shirk a basic civil duty, let alone a former mayor and current city councilman who has been responsible in the past and continues to be responsible for spending public funds collected from District of Columbia taxpayers."

Barry's office issued a statement last night saying he hasn't seen the prosecutor's motion. "I don't have any idea as to what the motion says," he said. "I'm busy doing my work on the Council helping people get jobs and find affordable housing."

Legal experts said Barry (D-Ward 8) is in serious legal jeopardy this time around, especially because the judge let him off the hook in 2007 under similar circumstances.

"He puts the judge in a very difficult spot," said David Schertler, a former federal prosecutor. "Many judges are willing to give a defendant a chance if there is a question about it being a misunderstanding. But it would be hard to argue that now. It's amazing, really. It's hard to know what [barry] is thinking."

Schertler said Barry could expect to be sentenced to several months in jail. He might earn some leniency if he files his returns in the next few days, Schertler said.

Full article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/09/AR2009020901537.html?hpid=moreheadlines

my ninja text trumps your ninja text.

aHA!!

Seriously, though. What is Barry thinking (or not) with this? Because he's spitting in the face of the judge who presided over his original trial on this, and is certainly looking at having his probation extended, if not jail time. Is this some sort of protest over DC's lack of voting representation?

Archived