Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ACL Surgery

GoCommiesGo

How did you do that?

*nevermind, answered

Oh and the surgery sucks. Your doctor will probably have you go to a physical therapist and they will help reduce the swelling and get some motion back up to the surgery. Afterward you will probably have a big ass knee brace and get to hobble around on crutches for over a month. Physical therapy after the surgery is a pain in the ass too.

I've had two ACL surgeries. One for the left knee and one for the right. I've got matching scars.

So I have to ask ... did you punch the jackass who kicked you in the face? The person sure deserves it ....

Have you picked out a surgeon yet? Your surgeon probably is familiar with a few methods and probably has one that he prefers over others. My surgeon preferred to do the patella tendon method (take patella tendon from the knee being operated on, slice a bit of it off, screw it into your bones and you're as good as new). There's all kinds of things that they can do - like taking a dead man's Achilles tendon and making a new ACL out of that.

Personally, I didn't feel too comfortable knowing that a dead man's tendon would be in my body and thank goodness that my surgeon wasn't too keen on that method either - so we opted for the patella tendon method. 4-6 inch incision on the front of the knee with three smaller half inch incisions around the knee. 4-6 months of therapy and healing time.

It used to be a surgery that required an overnight stay but these days it's in and out unless there are complications. Ask your surgeon if he can do a femoral block too. He can numb the nerve in your leg so that you feel no pain - and I highly recommend it.

Also, post surgery ask for a Polar Care unit. It's quite a contraption. It's a 6 pack cooler that has an electrical plug with an air compressor in it. Plug it in, cooler is filled with ice and water, attached to the cooler is a tube with a wrap for your knee. Plug that bad boy in and it circulates cold water to your knee on a regular basis and helps with healing. Much less cleanup than changing ice packs frequently.

I know that you've got questions ... ask away. If you don't want to ask them here, feel free to PM me. :)

Candace

What do you mean he kicked you??? Due that sucks can't you put all this on that person?

I was at a tailgate with my buddy and his bosses friends. It was 20-30 people had a DJ and everything really nice. I joking around with another skins fan and jumping around rocking out to AC/DC.

Next thing I know I feel a quick kick behind my knee and I just hit the ground. It was crowded no one saw anything...that they would admit to. So I went about my business picked myself up and went to the game.

How did you do that?

*nevermind, answered

Oh and the surgery sucks. Your doctor will probably have you go to a physical therapist and they will help reduce the swelling and get some motion back up to the surgery. Afterward you will probably have a big ass knee brace and get to hobble around on crutches for over a month. Physical therapy after the surgery is a pain in the ass too.

Well that does not sound very fun. Son of a *****.

I've had two ACL surgeries. One for the left knee and one for the right. I've got matching scars.

So I have to ask ... did you punch the jackass who kicked you in the face? The person sure deserves it ....

Have you picked out a surgeon yet? Your surgeon probably is familiar with a few methods and probably has one that he prefers over others. My surgeon preferred to do the patella tendon method (take patella tendon from the knee being operated on, slice a bit of it off, screw it into your bones and you're as good as new). There's all kinds of things that they can do - like taking a dead man's Achilles tendon and making a new ACL out of that.

Personally, I didn't feel too comfortable knowing that a dead man's tendon would be in my body and thank goodness that my surgeon wasn't too keen on that method either - so we opted for the patella tendon method. 4-6 inch incision on the front of the knee with three smaller half inch incisions around the knee. 4-6 months of therapy and healing time.

It used to be a surgery that required an overnight stay but these days it's in and out unless there are complications. Ask your surgeon if he can do a femoral block too. He can numb the nerve in your leg so that you feel no pain - and I highly recommend it.

Also, post surgery ask for a Polar Care unit. It's quite a contraption. It's a 6 pack cooler that has an electrical plug with an air compressor in it. Plug it in, cooler is filled with ice and water, attached to the cooler is a tube with a wrap for your knee. Plug that bad boy in and it circulates cold water to your knee on a regular basis and helps with healing. Much less cleanup than changing ice packs frequently.

I know that you've got questions ... ask away. If you don't want to ask them here, feel free to PM me. :)

Candace

I honestly don't mind the cadaver method if its necessary. I have the MRI tomorrow today they drained about half a cough syrup bottle of blood from my knee.

I'll ask about the cooler.

4-6 MONTHS! ****. I thought it would be a few weeks, son of a *****. Did you do anything presurgery to help with rehab? Should I be doing some type of exercise or anything?

I honestly don't mind the cadaver method if its necessary. I have the MRI tomorrow today they drained about half a cough syrup bottle of blood from my knee.

4-6 MONTHS! ****. I thought it would be a few weeks, son of a *****. Did you do anything presurgery to help with rehab? Should I be doing some type of exercise or anything?

It's not an easy surgery at all. Plus it hurts like hell. Sorry to give you the bad news, but it's pretty freaking painful.

Prior to surgery I tried to do as many straight leg lifts as I could to help strengthen my legs. Also, sit with your leg straight out in front of you and try to tighten your leg muscles so that your kneecap moves towards your hip. Do that whenever you can to help strengthen the muscle.

Hey GoSkinsGo, sorry to hear about your knee, that really sucks.

How do you know what is torn in your knee if you haven't had the MRI yet? Maybe it will turn out to be not as bad as you think. If you do need surgery, it's a pretty big surgery. ACL's are kinda a big deal. From what I've been told, it's a pretty painful surgery and it definitely is a long rehab...sorry.

Candace has given you great advice and she's pretty comprehensively explained the procedures.

As for prepping for the surgery, I wouldn't do any excercises unless advised by your physician. Different knee problems have different treatment routes and no one knows what will be harmful or helpful for your knee except the orthopedic who has reviewed the actual MRI. Otherwise, just do the normal stuff in prep for the surgery by taking good care of yourself, if you get a cold the surgery can be put off which really stinks if your mind is already psyched up for the surgery. Also, keep the area free of any nicks or other damage as even a little cut can lead to a rescheduled surgery...I can't even tell how many patients we had to reschedule because they decided to screw with their knee or in the case of some females, shave their fricken legs to look pretty for the surgery. Anyway, that's all the offhand advice I have. Everything should be reviewed thoroughly with your surgeon though, don't feel badly about asking whatever questions pop into your head, better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Candace, did you get one of those flexing machines too?

I agree the Polar unit is sweet.

Sucks to hear that GoSkinsGo,ACL's are no fun at all.

I did not et one of the flex machines. I have a pretty good relationship with my ortho and follow his directions otherwise he'll literally kick my ass. Once the original immobilizer came off I was put into an IROM brace with motion set to 30 degrees. I immediately started bending and could bend to 30 degrees at my PT evaluation.

My first surgery was horrible. Overnight stay in the hospital hooked to a morphine pump that made me puke my guts out ... scar tissue built up ... I had a PT who was more interested in flirting than rehab'ing me so I didn't heal like I should have. Scar tissue built up and I couldn't get my leg completely straight for about 6 months. I walked like a little old lady with a horrible limp. Finally with a new therapist and the right stretch and pull, the scar tissue broke loose and I was free from PT.

This last ACL surgery I was back in shape by 3 and a half months or so. As much as I didn't want to do my PT homework (exercises at home), I did them because I didn't want to take any chances and go through the scar tissue crap again.

Like Katie said, make sure you do whatever the Ortho says .... Talk to him about the surgeries and what methods he's comfortable with. The dead guy Achilles method has a faster healing time than the patella tendon, but some of the statistics that I found said that a patella tendon holds better than an Achilles.

Educate yourself. The interwebz are your friend ... and again, feel free to ask any questions that you wish!!!

Good luck with the MRI and let us know how it goes.

Hey GoSkinsGo, sorry to hear about your knee, that really sucks.

How do you know what is torn in your knee if you haven't had the MRI yet? Maybe it will turn out to be not as bad as you think. If you do need surgery, it's a pretty big surgery. ACL's are kinda a big deal. From what I've been told, it's a pretty painful surgery and it definitely is a long rehab...sorry.

Candace has given you great advice and she's pretty comprehensively explained the procedures.

As for prepping for the surgery, I wouldn't do any excercises unless advised by your physician. Different knee problems have different treatment routes and no one knows what will be harmful or helpful for your knee except the orthopedic who has reviewed the actual MRI. Otherwise, just do the normal stuff in prep for the surgery by taking good care of yourself, if you get a cold the surgery can be put off which really stinks if your mind is already psyched up for the surgery. Also, keep the area free of any nicks or other damage as even a little cut can lead to a rescheduled surgery...I can't even tell how many patients we had to reschedule because they decided to screw with their knee or in the case of some females, shave their fricken legs to look pretty for the surgery. Anyway, that's all the offhand advice I have. Everything should be reviewed thoroughly with your surgeon though, don't feel badly about asking whatever questions pop into your head, better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Movement and flexibility of the knee and the amount of blood that was drained from my knee. According to my doc pretty much means a rupture of at least one or more tendons.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

I'm just wondering if the ravens parking lot has cameras in it

I imagine if you called the ravens stadium up and asked they'd let you know if they had cameras. To see the actual tape they you'd probably need to get the cops involved. you might be able to trace the perp down to which car he came from and maybe get a license plate to which he can be ID'd

seeing how you've suffered a serious injury it probably would be worth it.

if I were in your shoes I'd do it.

Had to get ACL surgery. It hurts like a ***** and the physical therapy is very difficult. Sorry to hear about how this happened. Although the physical therapy is challenging, it's not overbearing if you're willing to put in some time every day and do the exercises given to you. The first couple weeks after surgery suck ass though.

I'm just wondering if the ravens parking lot has cameras in it

I imagine if you called the ravens stadium up and asked they'd let you know if they had cameras. To see the actual tape they you'd probably need to get the cops involved.

seeing how you've suffered a serious injury it probably would be worth it.

if I were in your shoes I'd do it.

It was at a tailgate under a bridge outside of the Stadium. About a 5-10 minute walk to the stadium. I'm pretty sure they don't have cameras I may give them a call to check though.

That is a good idea.

I had ACL surgery the end of May. Candace was a big help and support on here. I went w/ the Hamstring method. A friend of mine had ACL surgery a week later and went /w the patella tendon method. She was way too active right after and ended up breaking her patella and really messed up her knee for life. So def follow every single doctor order and do not try too much too soon.

The pain itself was not bad at all for me. I was on crutches for a month and used a cain for another few weeks after that. I took 3 weeks off work. I was able to ride a stationary bike at 4 months, and now am running on an eliptical. But I would not even attempt to run on the ground or treadmill right now, and I'm at 6 1/2 months post surgery. I did PT for a few months, but it was crazy expensive and when I got to the point where I could do those same exercises on my own, I stopped. I'm planning a snowboarding trip Jan 23rd, right at my 8 month post surgery point. I went hiking in the mtns/snow last weekend and although the knee is sore, it held up really well.

My best advice is this. Do some research on the three methods, hamstring, cadaver or patella. Each will have a differnt recovery period/exercise requirements, plus and minuses for each that you need to decide which is best for you. I vote the hamstring method (maybe a lil biased). While the recovery may take a month or 2 longer, it is much less pain (right after surgery and long term)

It's not an easy surgery at all. Plus it hurts like hell. Sorry to give you the bad news, but it's pretty freaking painful.

Prior to surgery I tried to do as many straight leg lifts as I could to help strengthen my legs. Also, sit with your leg straight out in front of you and try to tighten your leg muscles so that your kneecap moves towards your hip. Do that whenever you can to help strengthen the muscle.

thats what i've heard. a friend of mine had 2 acl surgeries. 1st one sucked and he did no exercise beforehand. second one with prior exercise was a breeze.

i tore my acl about 5 months ago playing a friendly game of church softball. could barely walk for a month or 2. doc told me to do exercises for it, even though i could barely move it and it hurt like hell when i tried. also, he said to try and bend it and straighten it, since i had so little range of motion.

in the last 2 months its gotten so much better- and i've heard some bad stories about surgery- that i may not get it fixed.

grego, depending on how active you are, that may be ok. I believe that John Elway played most of his career w/ a torn ACL. And isn't phillip rivers as well?

again, I went w/ the hamstring method and I really did not experience the pain that many who go w/ the patella method say they have. My ortho said that the patella method is extrememly painful, right after surgery and in the long term. One of the pains is that you can't kneel properly or w/o pain. Well, i'm 6 months post surgery and I can kneel on my knees and it doesn't hurt. Slightly uncomfortable.

grego, depending on how active you are, that may be ok. I believe that John Elway played most of his career w/ a torn ACL. And isn't phillip rivers as well?

again, I went w/ the hamstring method and I really did not experience the pain that many who go w/ the patella method say they have. My ortho said that the patella method is extrememly painful, right after surgery and in the long term. One of the pains is that you can't kneel properly or w/o pain. Well, i'm 6 months post surgery and I can kneel on my knees and it doesn't hurt. Slightly uncomfortable.

i'm pretty active actually. i just started doing regular cardio type workouts recently and play golf and disc golf a few times a week- lots of walking. i have a 1 year old running around here too, so i'd like to be able to play with him without any problems.

the dr i talked to said he'd do it with a cadaver ligament. i think the main thing is that i'm a procrastinator- and generally not in a hurry to go under the knife. i've never spent a day in a hospital-not since i was in infant anyhow.

if i have problems with it in the future, i'd definitely consider surgery. i'm just amazed at how far its come on its own since i first did it.

Archived