Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ACL Surgery

GoCommiesGo

Grego, that is cool. my main reason for surgery is that I love softball and snowboarding. I just really wanted to make sure I could still do those things and not have my knee giving out. I had to give up ball this summer, but like I mentioned before, should be able to board a lil by end of january. But def won't be boarding like i normally do. No double black diamond runs for me this year.

All of you who have had ACL surgery recently had it pretty easy.

I had to have the same knee re-co'd four times in five years (1981 - 1985).

The last one, which I remember vividly, saw me in hospital for 15 days (they had to remove the major 'staples', and re-open me to ensure the graft had started to take), then I was in plaster from hip to toe for 16 weeks. Couldn't do jack in that time, and when the plaster was removed, I couldn't bend my knee at all, and my whole muscle definition had gone.

Physio started slowly, but as I still couldn't put any weight on my leg for another 2 months, physio was basically just trying to get a minimum amount of flexibility (10 degrees).

So far, 6.5 months post-surgery, and still fully reliant on crutches. All up, it was just over 10 months before I had full range of motion, and another couple before full muscle definition returned. Needless to say I haven't played any sport since I first tore my knee up in Oct '80.

Today, 28 years later, I've been on disability for the last 11 years, mostly due to the instability of my knee, and have some form of pain every waking minute. At least once a week my knee swells up so much that I can't walk, and on regular occasions, my knee will buckle underneath me without any warning.

Surgery today has come on in leaps and bounds, so I doubt that you will have to go through anything even remotely to what I endured, but I do agree with what's been suggested re: PT. Do what you are supposed to do, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that the knee has fully recovered before it actually has. Treat the time frame of recovery as a minimum.

Today, 28 years later, I've been on disability for the last 11 years, mostly due to the instability of my knee, and have some form of pain every waking minute. At least once a week my knee swells up so much that I can't walk, and on regular occasions, my knee will buckle underneath me without any warning.

They give disability for that ?

No twa, not entirely.

I have other medical problems as well, but my knee is a big factor when it came to determining my level of disability. Add a back injury, migraines and a dodgy hip, to name just three more, also gets me 'over the line'.

It's difficult to live on $280 a week, and I have tried to find work, but pre-employment medicals always go against me.

Archived