Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's just gonna take time

dcnativenerd

As my sig indicates, I'm a younger fan. I've only known mediocrity and embarrassment. I've only known inept leadership in all departments and a revolving door of quarterbacks and coaches. The 90's, for the most part, were a dark time for the Redskins; and things didn't get much better with the start of a new century. I've lived through heartbreaking losses and the sub par seasons.

But, we've just got to patient. Listen, we've got a banged up team a new coach and a quarter back who's on his...what? 7th playbook? I'm surprised we're going to finish above 5-11. This isn't going to be our year. And you know what else? Chances are, next year isn't going to be our year either. "Our year" may not come for another 5-10 years. What I see with these Redskins is something I haven't seen for as long as I can remember...stability.

We just have to remember the Redskins of the 60's and 70's. A few great players on an otherwise poor team that had nothing going for them but fight and determination. That's what we've been living through for awhile now. These are the new 70's. We'll probably find some way to squeak into the playoffs and we probably won't make it past the first round. The point is, we're just going to have to hang tight until things get better again because this isn't anything new for the Redskins. I'm sure most of you who've followed the team longer than I have know that. I'm sure you also know that when things got good..the wait was totally worth it.

Anyway, that's just a thought I'd pass along to you guys.

Guest sith lord

No offense, but I'm not trying to wait another 5-10 years on top of the 14 or 15 we've already been waiting, for this team to get good again.

It doesn't take that long to rebuild in today's NFL. Look at the Falcons and Dolphins. Both were picking in the top 5 of the draft last year but this year are in playoff contention. Then again the Falcons picked up a GM who worked in New England and the Dolphins picked up Bill Parcells. Helps to have savvy football people run your operation.

Just consider this, guys.

The Redskins beat the Chicago Bears 14-6 in the '42 Title Game. Four years later, the Redskins went back to the NFL Title Game, but lost by one point to the Cleveland Rams. We didn't go back to a league title game for nearly 30 years after wards until we made our way into Super Bowl VII and we didn't win a title game for another ten years after that. That's FORTY YEARS between championships. I'm sure a lot of those fans waited it out. If I'm fortunate enough to live that long, I will, too.

Somehow Andy Reid was able to go from 5-11 in his first year to 11-5 in his second year......and that was with Donovan McNabb not making his first start until halfway through his first season.

And haven't we had the same players here for several seasons? Moss, Portis, Cooley, many of the linemen, etc.....all here since 2005 or earlier.

I'm just sick of the excuses.

No.

Not even Favre could work with the limited tools we have.

Not defending JC this week but I'm just sayin'...

The Jets have far better tools? Portis, Moss and Cooley trump anything the Jets have. Our Defense is light years ahead of theirs. Favre also knows this offense far better than the Jets system.

it takes on offseason to bring the team around, some teams have proven that this year. its up to the managment and what to do, make max money and not worry about win or lose or give something back to the fans and try the hardest to win. its not that hard to bring the team to top.

It doesn't take that long to rebuild in today's NFL. Look at the Falcons and Dolphins. Both were picking in the top 5 of the draft last year but this year are in playoff contention. Then again the Falcons picked up a GM who worked in New England and the Dolphins picked up Bill Parcells. Helps to have savvy football people run your operation.

The problem is that the Skins have Vinny who doesn't believe in the draft and taking lineman. Yeah, it definitely doesn't take that long to turn around a franchise, but you've got to have a plan. I wonder what this team if they had not traded a lot of those draft picks.

That's the only thing I can see standing in the way of real progress in Washington. We're not drafting and trading smart. We've got to build through the draft a la the Steelers of the 70's. Get young, hungry players from the college ranks and let them show the world what they can do; and for God's sake, DRAFT SOME DAMN LINEMEN!!!!

Too, too true. You know, looking back at all the great dynasties in football history...none of them happened over night. Like I said, the Steelers of the 70's...for DECADES, they were the laughing stock of the NFL. They were straight up losers. Only through the draft and with patience did that team become something. Hell, even those Cowboys teams of the 90's didn't JUST happen. It takes time. This is a team that goes through high and low points. We're going to have to sit through more bad seasons for awhile; but when we FINALLY get there, whenever we get there...it WILL be worth it.

majority of this fan base hasn't heard of the word patience.

I'd say waiting since 1991 is plenty of patience.

Sitting through Norv with his band of merry men in the likes of Ron Lynn,Mike Nolan,George Edwards and with players like Al Noga,Leslie Sheppard, Big Daddy Wilkinson.....

That's patience.

Sitting through Terry Robiske, Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Spurrier along with the cast of clowns that were here with them....

That's patience.

Waiting for a Franchise QB since Joe Theismann...

That's patience.

I'd say this fanbase has had lots of patience. I'd say the old "patience guage" is sitting on E about now...........

As my sig indicates, I'm a younger fan. I've only known mediocrity and embarrassment. I've only known inept leadership in all departments and a revolving door of quarterbacks and coaches. The 90's, for the most part, were a dark time for the Redskins; and things didn't get much better with the start of a new century. I've lived through heartbreaking losses and the sub par seasons.

But, we've just got to patient. Listen, we've got a banged up team a new coach and a quarter back who's on his...what? 7th playbook? I'm surprised we're going to finish above 5-11. This isn't going to be our year. And you know what else? Chances are, next year isn't going to be our year either. "Our year" may not come for another 5-10 years. What I see with these Redskins is something I haven't seen for as long as I can remember...stability.

We just have to remember the Redskins of the 60's and 70's. A few great players on an otherwise poor team that had nothing going for them but fight and determination. That's what we've been living through for awhile now. These are the new 70's. We'll probably find some way to squeak into the playoffs and we probably won't make it past the first round. The point is, we're just going to have to hang tight until things get better again because this isn't anything new for the Redskins. I'm sure most of you who've followed the team longer than I have know that. I'm sure you also know that when things got good..the wait was totally worth it.

Anyway, that's just a thought I'd pass along to you guys.

Damn. You are wise beyond you years. I wish I had something to counter what you've said, but I don't. By the time this team solves it's line problems (on both sides of the ball) the "skill" position players will be deteriorating. Some careful planning by the front office is in order here or this team might wallow in mediocrity for a number of years.

Guest sith lord
majority of this fan base hasn't heard of the word patience. They want it all, everything, right now (see colt brennan supporters).

You guys keep bringing up patience. Haven't we been patient enough?

I feel sorry for you young guys. I promise, during the 80's, nobody wanted to play us after 82. We were tough. No Redskins fan EVER said, "if you would have told me we'd be 7-5, I'd take it". NEVER. We didn't settle for 9-7 or 8-8. We didn't settle for losing to Dallas. We didn't say "But the Giants are 10-1" We didn't settle for second best. Now, we take 4th or 3rd in the division each year. Miserable being a Redskin fan.

Only since Danny and the long term medicoricy got here has it turned this bad. We were once an elite team that constantly produced good or great teams. Once we lost our owner, we lost our way. All of this can be traced to Danny. We are a huge joke now.

Archived