Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Real problems and real solutions.

redskingluvr

So far this year, after every loss where Brunell was qb, he was endlessly bashed. The obviously horrid play calls were dumped on him. The consequences of overusing Betts and not using our big backs was dumped on him. The total lack of play action passes was dumped on him. The fact that their lb's can play back thus cutting off the mid range passing game seams, due to being totally unthreatened at the thought of a head on with Betts instead of Duckett or Sellers, was dumped on him. The oline's development which now seems to be on it's way, was dumped on him.

Now JC is in, he does add a new dynamic due to his youthful athleticism. But that does not cure our other woes, and if he cannot put some touch on the ball only threatens to make them worse.

Problems we know exist---

-ridiculously poor play calls and running back personell choices(we are a big bruiser back team and always will be, Betts dances pretty but is simply too small)

-poor clock management

-lack of effective half time adjustments (we get beat in every 3rd quarter badly, by 14 points in this one)

-poor kicking on field goals

-dropped passes, overuse of trick plays

-no solid game plan that is winner every time, second half game plan nonexistent just a redo of first half which makes us easy pickins

-poor defense scheme that stretches out lb's and plays dbacks too deep to be effective at controlling the onfield play dynamics and giving them the chance to beat up and wear out receivers, massive seams for runs due to dbacks being pulled way back, slow pass rush, and so on.

Here is my solution-

-Confront Saunders on his lame play calling, give him one week to step his game up or Gibbs takes it back over while he watches and learns. Humiliate him like he has done to the entire team.

-Use Duckett and Sellers on 80% of our runs, and use the play action like they are using Betts now.

-Tell Williams the dbacks have to play within 5 yds of the LOS or he is gone next year. Put some heart back in the team and make the dline pass rush and work til their tongues r hangin out on it every day. Simple.

-Make the changes then do the right thing and give Brunell first dibs on looking good with them.

-Tell JC he definitely is the qb of our future, stress FUTURE. Then bench him until he develops touch and looks around a bit more, and shows willingness to throw to guys who have dropped a few demonstrating the same faith in THEM he asks them to have in HIM. Look to give him a priority one shot for starting next year, we love him. Starting him with all of these other unresolved problems will only erode his confidence and expectation to win.

yeah i totally agree, betts is the reason why we lost today and is why we cant do anything offensively :doh:

get your mind off duckett, he is a short yardage, goaline back and thats all he is, ive never seen such a big guy run as much like a girl as he does, ill give you one thing, at least sellers runs with purpose

Uhh Betts has over 100 yards the last two games. What about this team makes you think this team is a big bruiser back team?

"make the dline pass rush and work til their tongues r hangin out on it every day"

Making somebody work at something does not mean they are going to get better at. There is something called ability.

I can't believe NOONE on this board believes that Gibbs and Saunders most likely discuss an offensive gameplan together. I find it VERY, VERY hard to believe that Gibbs doesn't relay at least a little of what he wants to accomplish offensively week to week. Must be easier to just blame Saunders than comfront what it really is.

did you really just advocate benching jason campbell?

where do you think he is going to develop these skills that you want him to have? watching brunell help us lose the next 4 games? also, listen to the kid, you arent eroding his confidence...he knows he plays for a bad team...he needs to play

betts had 155 yards rushing today...yeah, you are right that was awful....

our biggest problems, on both sides of the ball, is the line...

the o line's weaknesses limit what we can do offensively

and the d line's weaknesses limit what we can do defensively

the best thing we can do now is try and develop our young talent

i wish we hadnt spent so much money on free agents, because then we could have young depth at the O line that we could play...much like Golston is providing on the d line...

Betts had 155 yards and we had 14 points. Yards does not = points on the board. especially when they are gained at a greater expense.

If Brunell had thrown 2 int's, one on the goal line, and we lost with that as our qb's performance, there would have been 100 threads exploding in anger, blaming him, and calling for him to be benched. I am not exploding in anger, just stating facts. Go look at the nfl.com playu by play for our last 12 games and look at the drives, the play calls, and how they ended. It is a repeat pattern that tells the whole story as far as both saunders and betts are concerned. I listed that as one part of a multi pronged solution to this pattern of losing we ARE in.

Interesting how a game can be watched, and from different perspectives...it's almost as if people are watching different games than the one I watched(Skins vs Falcons)

They are still playing better than they have been, Betts ran well, ran hard, showed vision and cutback, the O-line opened some holes....yet the inconsistency reared it's ugly head again...on both sides of the ball.

No doubt Jason struggled a bit today...passes were dropped...the Defense gave up some plays. Vick is a tough assignment for most teams/defenses. Springs being out and not available I think hurt us again. Kicking game is still suspect.

My issue with some of you is...how do you judge a young inexperienced QB and his results after 3 games vs an old vet(Brunell)? you can't really. To do so at this point is lunacy. We all knew...or at least should have known Campbell will make some mistakes being a young, inexperienced NFL QB. He missed a few no doubt...open players...bad tosses, etc. The receivers at times didn't help much either dropping easy completions to keep the momentum going and Campbell's confidence up.

Just keep building, working, getting better...get more sound in all 3 phases. Make smart personnel moves in the offseason...who is cut, who is brought in..draft strategy etc. Playcalling on both sides needs to get smoother..better gametime adjustments. etc.

Wheres my god damn medal? we all know that i was sent by god to fix the redskins...

someones a bit high on themselves.

and to bring up another point you made, the nfl really has no place for the bruising backs anymore. sure they may have a good game here and there, but the defenders know how to tackle big people, and thus a big RB would be ****ing stupid to replace portis and betts with. i cant believe you called what betts did today "dancing" omfg are you ****ting me? he was all downhill with no rest stops.

please work on your theory then bring it back so i can blast it again. :doh:

Well, one thing we can be sure of, if they keep doing the same things they will keep getting the same results. No place for the big back in the NFL anymore? Who got your head into that ludicrous fantasy football delusion??? Is it a trivia saying you heard some self proclaimed ESPN guru spout or something?

Also, I am not judging or even criticizing JC. I am stating that there are many other issues leading to our demise. It was an unfair solution to our woes to bench Brunell without dealing with the other even more obvious issues. Due to that, if we fix the other things, he deserves a shot. Benching him had to be done to quiet the wolves and enable the team's leaders to see the other issues more plainly. It was the beginning of seeing our real woes honestly, not even a start on fixing them.

Now we can all live with our head in the sand, or pull them out and take notice of all that is going on. Apparently that is an offensive trend to many, especially the younger kids. They prefer sand and sniveling, snotty disrespect. Common traits found on the unemployment line. Neither provides a solution that will bring results anytime soon. As long as that type of thinking rules, I look forward to ten more years just like the last ten.

You are entitled to disagree, but Betts is the problem not the solution. However, he is only one problem among many. Having to resort to using a back like him in the manner we are is a losing solution, as has been proven 8 times this year. In order to open up our passing game we need a big, strong back. And to utilize play action to keep the lb's in tight and leaning forward.

BTW, I intend no disrespect to Betts. I think he is great at what he does.

But what he does is not getting us a W in the column we need it in, even when he pulls down his best day. 14 points. Making him the main meal is NOT working. However, as a utility back, he is great and he catches very, very well for an rb.

first of all, we are a losing team and i understand the need to change things up.\

however

We were a winning team last year, so the big question i would ask is...what changed?

the O coordinator, the qb, 2 recievers, kicker, the RB and a few guys on D

Its the first year of the offense, ill give it two years at least b4 i bash Saunders, the man has done more than prove himself

JC gives us the best chance to win because he has more talent, speed and arm strength....The line could not handle the blitz today, the only thing that needs to change, is JC needs to wait....point out the blitz and/or audible...so the blitz isnt as effective

We did upgrade at reciever, but like i said, its still the first year in this offense

Kicker isnt the reason were 4-8

Portis is hurt, but Betts did amazing, 155 yards is 155 yards, i dont care if Samuels carried for those yards, the big back vs. small back doesnt matter because no matter what, Betts got the yards.

And the biggest reason we were successfull last year....the D!!!

The whole defensive attitude has changed, along with a few personell changes, but i dont see what the deal is, someone needs to fire these guys up.

BTW, I intend no disrespect to Betts. I think he is great at what he does.

But what he does is not getting us a W in the column we need it in, even when he pulls down his best day. 14 points. Making him the main meal is NOT working. However, as a utility back, he is great and he catches very, very well for an rb.

:doh: I still can't see where you see Betts is the problem. Seems like the only problem this team doesn't have is RB's. Betts has had 2 great games in a row, proving that he should be here next year next to Portis.

Problems we know exist---

-ridiculously poor play calls and running back personell choices(we are a big bruiser back team and always will be, Betts dances pretty but is simply too small)

Betts ran for 155 yards and a TD!!! How is that bad?

-poor clock management

Eh, we have a rookie QB. Only way he's gonna get better is if you give him the experience.

-lack of effective half time adjustments (we get beat in every 3rd quarter badly, by 14 points in this one)

I agree with this one.

-poor kicking on field goals

Eh, Hall can't stay healthy. There's a reason that the kickers we signed were available.

-dropped passes, overuse of trick plays

I don't think there's been that many dropped passes. And, frankly, you can't have too much trickeration :D

-no solid game plan that is winner every time, second half game plan nonexistent just a redo of first half which makes us easy pickins

Thanks for repeating a previous point

-poor defense scheme that stretches out lb's and plays dbacks too deep to be effective at controlling the onfield play dynamics and giving them the chance to beat up and wear out receivers, massive seams for runs due to dbacks being pulled way back, slow pass rush, and so on.

Yes, we've already covered how pour the Redskins defense is.

Here is my solution-

-Confront Saunders on his lame play calling, give him one week to step his game up or Gibbs takes it back over while he watches and learns. Humiliate him like he has done to the entire team.

Yea. That will help. Again, the Betts had 28 carries for 155 yards. thats a good gameplan. Campbell made some bad throws and missed some guys.

-Use Duckett and Sellers on 80% of our runs, and use the play action like they are using Betts now.

Yea, Betts runs for 155 yards, so naturally he needs to be replaced :rolleyes:

-Tell Williams the dbacks have to play within 5 yds of the LOS or he is gone next year. Put some heart back in the team and make the dline pass rush and work til their tongues r hangin out on it every day. Simple.

Play within 5 yards . . . why? I'm sorry, do you actually know anything about playing defensive back?

-Make the changes then do the right thing and give Brunell first dibs on looking good with them.

No. Campbell is the future. Giving Brunell a chance is not "the right thing." He never should have been signed anyway.

-Tell JC he definitely is the qb of our future, stress FUTURE. Then bench him until he develops touch and looks around a bit more, and shows willingness to throw to guys who have dropped a few demonstrating the same faith in THEM he asks them to have in HIM. Look to give him a priority one shot for starting next year, we love him. Starting him with all of these other unresolved problems will only erode his confidence and expectation to win.

How is JC supposed to learn any of this if you bench him? :rolleyes:

Exactly what do you believe this will accomplish? Mark Brunell had his chance. While the failure of the team was never entirely his fault, he also never played well enough to convince me he won't hold back a good team. His job now is to teach Jason Campbell so that he can come out fighting in 2007.

There is absolutely no credible argument for benching Jason Campbell.

Well, one thing we can be sure of, if they keep doing the same things they will keep getting the same results. No place for the big back in the NFL anymore? Who got your head into that ludicrous fantasy football delusion??? Is it a trivia saying you heard some self proclaimed ESPN guru spout or something?

I should've known you'd bring your trademark poor debating style along from the Tailgate. Refute someone's assertion with evidence, not your many varied forms of "What are you talking about?" What teams do you consider to be using big backs as their primary runners?

Duckett played behind Dunn in Atlanta, just as Jacobs plays behind Barber in New York now. These days Atlanta's rushing attack relies on the fleet-footed combination of Dunn, Vick and Norwood, with McCrary only a minor contributor. Alstott gets carries, but not nearly as many as Williams. Ron Dayne had a good week in Houston, but at this point that's an isolated incident, and Houston's runningback mess is not something I want to emulate. Mack Strong carries the ball occasionally in Seattle, but Alexander and Morris do the bulk of the work. Even a team like Denver that hands the ball off to fullback Cecil Sapp with some regularity uses a smaller, quicker fullback.

Big backs get their carries near the goal line, and it isn't scores that force defenses to jump the run, it's consistent success measured in terms of yardage. Consistent success of the type Betts enjoyed on Sunday.

Sadly, my guess is you won't provide any evidence. I've been waiting for some here for a long time, and it hasn't been forthcoming:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3142743&highlight=dinosaurs#post3142743

You are entitled to disagree, but Betts is the problem not the solution. However, he is only one problem among many. Having to resort to using a back like him in the manner we are is a losing solution, as has been proven 8 times this year. In order to open up our passing game we need a big, strong back. And to utilize play action to keep the lb's in tight and leaning forward.

The size of the back has nothing to do with play-action success. Indianapolis, one of the best play-action teams in recent years, runs fast medium- to small-size backs behind a good offensive line.

People here REALLY fear Betts. Not what he can't do but what he is capable of and some people here are really afraid that he'll perform well and impress the coaching staff. :doh:

This is getting ridiculous. I thought we had the best fans in the game but after spending a few years here and getting to know other Skins fans than myself I can say with all confidence that we have MORE than our share of half-wits.

Some chemistry?
Who was that arguing at the end of the game??? I did not see that, and who is the cowboy doing the jump shot in the background, thats some funny ****. Yes chemistry is what we had last year now this year we have none, no identity, and a struggling coaching staff. And regarding the orignal post about putting Brunell back in the game, :doh: that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. Yea lets not let a rookie learn on the field and sit his ass after 3 games and put Brunell back in. How is the kid going to learn if he doesnt make mistakes??? I hate it when we lose because everyone thinks there a ****ing genious with these retarded ideas.

"If Brunell had thrown 2 int's, one on the goal line, and we lost with that as our qb's performance, there would have been 100 threads exploding in anger, blaming him, and calling for him to be benched. I am not exploding in anger, just stating facts. Go look at the nfl.com playu by play for our last 12 games and look at the drives, the play calls, and how they ended. It is a repeat pattern that tells the whole story as far as both saunders and betts are concerned. I listed that as one part of a multi pronged solution to this pattern of losing we ARE in."

MB has no upside. his career is done. what don't you get about that? he was a bad investment right from the start.

regardless of where fault may lie...the time had long passed for moving JC into the line-up to determine what he could do.

someone change the record...the scratch on this one is getting irritating!

Archived