Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tereell owens is a No Show at Eagles Mini Camp

Rocky21

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2049794

(Hey Iggles fans. Looks like the honeymoon is over!)

Absence presumed to be contract-relatedESPN.com news services

PHILADELPHIA -- T.O. is a no-show.

All-Pro wide receiver Terrell Owens skipped the Philadelphia Eagles' first mini-camp practice on Friday, presumably because he wants a new contract.

Owens said several times this month he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal he signed last March. The Eagles have refused to redo the contract worth nearly $49 million.

Owens blames the media for fueling the controversy over his decision to fire longtime agent David Joseph and replace him with Drew Rosenhaus, who met with Eagles president Joe Banner in early April.

"Again I find my words being misinterpreted by the media. Therefore at this time I have decided to refrain from discussing the recent series of events surrounding my contract with the Philadelphia Eagles," Owens said.

Three weeks ago, Owens said that he was underpaid compared to other wide receivers.

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," he said.

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers. Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards.

Owens broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that kept him out until the Super Bowl. He had nine catches for 122 yards in Philadelphia's 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook, defensive tackle Corey Simon and wideout Freddie Mitchell also weren't at camp.

Westbrook has until June 15 to sign a one-year, $1.43 million tender. He's seeking a long-term deal, but discussions haven't been promising. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but he also wants a long-term contract.

Mitchell, a former first-round pick, has likely talked his way out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

Westbrook had a breakout season for the Eagles, scoring nine touchdowns and leading the team with 1,515 total yards. Westbrook rushed for 812 yards on 177 carries and led all NFL running backs in receptions with 73 for 703 yards last season.

Simon, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago, overcame a poor start to finish with 5½ sacks and 34 tackles last year. The Eagles considered trading him this offseason, but talks with Baltimore broke down.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Originally posted by Rocky21

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2049794

"Again I find my words being misinterpreted by the media. Therefore at this time I have decided to refrain from discussing the recent series of events surrounding my contract with the Philadelphia Eagles," Owens said.

:wtf: Does that make any sense to anyone? He is blaming the media & punishing the team? :confused:

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

:wtf: Does that make any sense to anyone? He is blaming the media & punishing the team? :confused:

I think he has a special Under Armour suit called "Blame Proof TO" or something.

Honestly, I think Eagles fans and the organization expected this. They'd have never expected it this time last year, but things chance. TO doesn't, however. They're not going to re-do his contract and I don't blame them one bit. They got a great deal. They get relatively minium payout for the last remaining competetive years of TO's career, then get to jettison him before he costs too much. I think he now realizes that, but they're not budging. Bravo on their part.

Remember, this is the same guy who had a "me, me, me" press conference while his teammates were still licking their wounds right after the SB.

Nick

It kills me to admit, but I really like the way Andy Reid is handling this. Basically, he's just ignoring TO. Giving a press conference every other day or coddling TO would just make it a bigger story (as we've all learned).

Originally posted by sith lord

So what,he's a no-show at mini-camp.So isn't Moss and Taylor,and you know what,it means absolutely nothing.

our team's practice this weekend is just for the rookies and UDFA;s.

Everyone else is voluntary.

Huge difference between that and a mandatory mini-camp.

there is zero comparrison to Taylor, but nice try!

They ranked first, second and fourth on the team in receiving yards, combining for more than 2,200 yards and 22 touchdowns, but when the Eagles held their first mandatory minicamp, Terrell Owens, Brian Westbrook and Freddie Mitchell weren't in attendance.

Note: Mitchell wasn't invited to practices

Owens one of four Eagles to skip minicamp Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (April 29, 2005) -- T.O. is a no-show.

All-Pro wide receiver Terrell Owens skipped the Philadelphia Eagles' first minicamp practice on April 29, presumably because he wants a new contract.

Owens said several times this month he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal he signed last March. The Eagles have refused to redo the contract worth nearly $49 million.

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers. Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards.

Owens broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl. He had nine catches for 122 yards in Philadelphia's 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook, defensive tackle Corey Simon and wideout Freddie Mitchell also weren't at camp.

Westbrook has until June 15 to sign a one-year, $1.43 million tender. He's seeking a long-term deal, but discussions haven't been promising. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but he also wants a long-term contract.

Mitchell, a former first-round pick, has likely talked his way out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

Westbrook had a breakout season for the Eagles, scoring nine touchdowns and leading the team with 1,515 total yards. Westbrook rushed for 812 yards on 177 carries and led all NFL running backs in receptions with 73 for 703 yards last season.

Simon, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago, overcame a poor start to finish with 5½ sacks and 34 tackles last year. The Eagles considered trading him this offseason, but talks with Baltimore broke down.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/8429436

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

our team's practice this weekend is just for the rookies and UDFA;s.

Everyone else is voluntary.

Huge difference between that and a mandatory mini-camp.

there is zero comparrison to Taylor, but nice try!

Are you sure that TO's missing a "mandatory" workout?

Originally posted by Number5

To be honest, we Eagles fan kinda expected this. It isn't that big of a shock...thus the signing of Greg Lewis last year and the drafting of Brown was done.

Number5- You and me are cool and all of this biz with TO could easily blow over but I have to say this:

"Kinda" Expected it? KINDA EXPECTED it? This is your reply?

You Eagles fans had a great season with him last year and shut alot of Redskin fans up when he did well without causing trouble. We kept saying to you guys that he was going to be trouble and you guys kept laughing all the way to the Super Bowl.

It may have taken a year, but it's not even opening day and he's already demanded more money AND dissed his QB. It's almost like he's still in San Fran. One season, no ring and he reverts right back to no cooperation, no class.

And I was just starting to dig the dude. The Philly locker room better be a DAMNED cohesive unit (which I believe they are) because he's about to attempt to kill the Eagles.

:) Do NOT, however, even TRY to come back in here with a cool tone in your post saying " we Eagles fans KINDA expected this."

You were warned a THOUSAND times by "we Redskin fans."

Cuz believe me, we Redskin fans KNOW a troublesome player when we see one these days. We juggle those guys all year long.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Where is Bubba to make a huge deal out of this and try his best to spin the Taylor and Moss situations?

Now is about the time to say, "This is about Owens, not anyone else'. :)

Well Taylor and Moss haven't held out of mini camp yet have they?

our mini camp is NEXT week, this weekend is rookie camp... only a couple of veterans have showed up.

TO and Westbrook... are missing mini-camp over contract disputes.....hmmmmm

I have nothing to spin..... :laugh: the facts are more than adequate

As for Owens, who is not attending the camp despite having signed a seven-year contract just 13 months ago, Reid said he isn't concerned with the wide receiver's decision not to attend.

"If he's here, he's here. If he's not, he's not. We have an understanding here that if you're not here, we move on without you." said Reid.

Archived