Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adams Eying Redskins

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 20, 2002; Page D02

Free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams said he remains interested in signing with the Washington Redskins if the team is willing to offer him what he considers a suitable contract.

In a telephone interview Tuesday night, Adams -- perhaps the top player still available in the NFL's free agent pool a month from the opening of training camps -- said he has spoken periodically during the offseason with Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, for whom he played the past two seasons in Baltimore. Adams said the Redskins and other clubs have tried to acquire him for a bargain price.

He owns and is coaching a semipro football team in the Seattle area, and Adams said he would be willing to sit out the NFL season if no club offers him a contract to his liking. He said he expects to play, however, and indicated he hopes to reach an agreement with some team within the next few weeks.

"If no one offers to pay me what I'm worth, I guess I'll be sitting here coaching my team," said Adams, a Pro Bowl selection the past two seasons with the Ravens. "But it's not going to come to that point. I know I'm going to play. I'm ready to play for someone and help someone who's capable of winning a championship. When I do find a team, I hope the teams that have disrespected me are on the schedule. Marvin knows what I'm talking about."

Adams said he still has the Redskins under consideration but is not certain that the team will be willing to offer him what he regards as an acceptable contract after signing veteran defensive tackle Santana Dotson as a free agent 2 1/2 weeks ago.

"They were interested," Adams said. "I don't know if they're interested any more. . . . They signed a defensive tackle. They have a structure and they have a good team. [but] I'll play for Marvin. Marvin is a very good coach. . . . Marvin called every once in a while. I don't want to take a pay cut after going to two Pro Bowls and winning a Super Bowl for him. Marvin got a raise. Why shouldn't I?"

The Redskins lured Lewis from Baltimore and made him the NFL's highest-paid assistant coach by signing him to a three-year contract worth at least $2.7 million, with incentives that could make the deal worth about $3.6 million.

Lewis said yesterday at Redskins Park: "Hopefully if things work out for Sam, we'd be excited to have him. Sam has got to do what's right for his family. Sam is going to make the decision that's best for him and his family. He's tried to take the emotion out of it. Hopefully it's here. Obviously this would be a good spot for him."

Sources have said that the Redskins want to sign Adams even after signing Dotson to a one-year, minimum-salary contract June 4, but don't want to overspend. Dotson likely would back up Adams and Dan Wilkinson if the Redskins sign Adams, or would start alongside Wilkinson at tackle if Adams signs elsewhere.

Adams did not reveal his salary demands but said he never told Lewis that he wanted an $8 million signing bonus as part of a multiyear contract. That's the figure that some NFL executives have said that Adams and agent Eugene Parker were seeking earlier in the offseason before reducing their asking price in recent weeks.

The Ravens released Adams in February as part of their salary cap purge, but remain interested in re-signing him. Ravens officials say they first would have to restructure the contracts of linebackers Ray Lewis and Peter Boulware to clear salary cap space, however. Lewis and Boulware also are represented by Parker and partner Roosevelt Barnes, but Adams said each player will act in his own best interests.

"I would love to play with Ray and Peter again," said Adams, who turned 29 a week ago. "But they have to do what's best for them and their families, just like I have to do for myself. The only connection is that we have the same agent. They have to do their thing and I have to do mine.

"I'm not waiting on [the Ravens]. I'm not waiting on any team. I'm just waiting for a team to pay me what I'm worth. Every team that has come to me has wanted to sign me for a bargain. That's not going to happen. . . . I don't know how it's going to come out."

The Denver Broncos apparently have joined the Redskins, Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles and Cincinnati Bengals in pursuing Adams.

Adams and Wilkinson would shield the Redskins' new middle linebacker, Jeremiah Trotter, from opposing blockers the same way that the Ravens' burly tackles, Adams and Tony Siragusa, freed Ray Lewis to make tackles in Marvin Lewis's record-setting, Super Bowl-winning defense in Baltimore in 2000.

The Redskins open training camp on July 22 in Carlisle, Pa. Club officials also are interested in free agent wide receiver Willie Jackson and might sign a veteran guard, probably Ben Coleman or Ray Brown, as a free agent.

It would be nice if our UDFA Dt is strong enoug to occupy the middle without losing that much ground during double teams, thus saving us money that could extend jansen and champ.

I want them under contract so I dont see these articles with their names in it.

"Club officials also are interested in free agent wide receiver Willie Jackson and might sign a veteran guard, probably Ben Coleman or Ray Brown, as a free agent."

Okay, this tells me two things:

1. Spurrier feels he still needs a veteran receiver with size in his offense.

2. The team has come to the not so subtle realization that the Jets were not going to trade a starting lineman to move up a few spots in round 5 (Loverne). Brown is my preference at LG because he is healthy and has been a winner during his career early with the Redskins and then with San Francisco.

Coleman is a good player when he is healty and in shape, but that always seems to be a question with him.

The thought of both Rod Jones AND Coleman having to work themselves into shape in July is not a pleasant one to consider.

Brown is old school and keeps himself in shape.

that's a VERY optimistic assessment. :)

I don't see that many blowouts on the schedule for this season, at least no obvious ones at this point.

Matthews or the starting qb is really going to have to come on for the Skins to separate themselves that much from most teams.

I do agree that OTHERWISE the makings are there for a fine team overall.

You sign Brown and solidify the offensive line and now have Dotson in the fold to plug the gap for a year at DT.

That leaves us with an outstanding defense as a unit, with fingers crossed that Shade/Terrell/Dotson produce solid seasons.

On offense, the line would be formidable, with good size across the front.

we know the running game is there.

if we could get some luck and quick development at receiver, it will all be up the the QB position to determine how far this team goes.

you get a 2000 Aaron Brooks or 2001 Tom Brady type season out of Matthews, Ramsey or whomever and the Skins could be looking good.

that is the optimistic side. :)

the other side has us taking a year to gel.

but in any case the 6-10 record that I have seen in some quarters appears unnecessarily brutal considering the talent that is already here.

At worst Matthews will put up the kinds of numbers that Miller did for the Bears last year.

Pedestrian perhaps, but good enough to get the team into the playoff picture.

I was a little surprised by this article. There had been a lot of talk that Adams and Marvin were not the best of friends. But both had nice things to say about the other and both expressed strong interest to be together again. I think that is a positive. I still hope we get the guy, him and Wilkinson in the middle to free up our LBs is just a wonderful thought.

Free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams said he remains interested in signing with the Washington Redskins if the team is willing to offer him what he considers a suitable contract.

Granted, right now, he'll sign with anybody who'll take his offer.

Just throwing another problem child name out there (although I think the Fat Sam Adams thing has gone overboard here)...

Darryl Gardner.

He's been hurt the past season - but is supposedly the odd man out in Miami - even thought he drastically reduced his 6 mil a year salary for the Dullphins.

Might be the player at DT that is needed.

I'm aprehensive of signing Sam Adams. He's going to get a big contract and I'm scared Danny 's going to be the one to give it to him. Sure he could be great for another three years.

But remember Stubblefield. He was coming off of a defensive player of the year season and really was never above an adequate DT for us. Adams is 29, coming off 2 pro bowls and would most likely kick *** if paired with marv and put next to big daddy. but what if his performance drops off for some unknown reason as happens all the time in the NFL. What if he gets hurt? Then, we're right back to where we were two years ago as far as our cap situation.

We have ALOT of talented young players who need to be taken care of soon. You know who they are. I think our defense will be solid as is. yes adding Adams would create the possibly of having a defense that would rival that of baltimore two years ago. but he's a luxury, a 350lb, pro bowl caliber player that every team would love to have but can't afford kind of luxury.

The Skins were full of luxuries two years ago and look where it got them. 8-8. this team is too talented to be 8-8. 8-8, in my book, will be a dissappointment. despite having totally new coaching staff, 8-8 is still well below the Skins potential.

Let's go get an experienced safety instead

"But remember Stubblefield. He was coming off of a defensive player of the year season and really was never above an adequate DT for us. "

Everybody wants to remember Blubberfield. What everybody forgets is that we just pulled a :dunce: act on that one. What everybody (except the 49ers) didn't know was that Blubberfield was able to make the plays he did because he was playing next to Bryant Young. With lesser talent next to him, he became decidedly ordinary. Yes, I know Big Daddy is coming on, but I don't think he's come that far just yet.

Anyway, my point is I would be quite happy to get Adams in here as long as it can be done at reasonable cost. I think he can still play pretty well for another 2 or 3 seasons perhaps a few more. Again, as so many have said the key is the $$ as we have so many players that we absolutely have to re-sign in the upcoming season or two that we just can't afford another cap :jerkoff: It would end up causing us to lose enough talent that we'd probably have to go into re-building mode.

also remember that Eugene Parker is Adams' agent and he was Deion's agent in 2000 :)

keeping his client oriented towards the Skins is probably from Parker's perspective the best way of getting him the maximum amount of cash.

what he is finding out, though, is that Mendes is not going to hand out $7 or $8 million bonuses anymore like the team did in 2000.

Trotter and Wynn are younger players and come here in shape and ready to go. They don't have weight, fitness or attitude questions.

The Eagles SHOULD sign Adams because of their lack of size up front and the fact the Skins and others were able to wear down the linemen and run on them in the second half of some games last year.

• 1 month later...

Archived