Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW Whispers from around the NFL MERGED

AKM311

Originally posted by bhayesp

Does it bother anyone else that the only person Campbell seems to be compared to is Doug Williams?

Not that this would be a bad thing for us, but it seems that since he's black and was drafted by Gibbs(who did draft Williams when he was the OC at Tampa) and he wears #17, he only gets compared to Doug. Makes me a little uncomfortable.

Kind of the same as the Larry Bird thing with every great white player in the NBA.

Does it bother anyone else that the only person Campbell seems to be compared to is Doug Williams?

Not that this would be a bad thing for us, but it seems that since he's black and was drafted by Gibbs(who did draft Williams when he was the OC at Tampa) and he wears #17, he only gets compared to Doug. Makes me a little uncomfortable.

You'll also notice that white safety prospects are often compared to John Lynch. :laugh:

Originally posted by bulldog

the Redskins by and large accomplished their goals:

1. keep most of the key roster spots intact from 2004 to 2005

2. solidify depth at CB, WR, LB, and QB.

3. Get back injured top starters Jansen, Arrington.

4. Come into 2005 with a solid team but low expectations from other teams around the NFL :D

Shhhh bulldog

Your gonna give us away:secret: :D

Maybe if Doug Williams was white, he wouldn't be compared to him, but who knows. I don't think it should make you uncomfortable. It should be an honor to Jason Campbell that he is being compared to someone who won a Super Bowl title.

There throwing motions are similar, too. They have big arms. Maybe there style of play is similar?

The kid looked great at mini-camp with no pads on vs 5th and 6th teamers.

I think I'll wait on the Doug Williams comparisons for the time being.

Yeesh, I could win championships with how well my players do during non-contact drills.

Come to think of it, so could any other coach on the earth.

Originally posted by Sebowski

I know I might get slammed for this, but why should we be excited about "The next Doug Williams"? The guy isn't exactlky a hall of famer.

Career 16,000 yards, 100 TDs, and 93 INTs. That doesn't exactly make me pee my pants And most things make me pee my pants

I won't slam you, but I will politely disagree. I agree that Doug Williams was not an upper-echelon NFL QB.

However, some of the traits that helped him fetch Joe Gibbs a Super Bowl were his poise and mental toughness. If those are the qualities that are drawing comparisons between Campbell and Williams, I'd consider that a good thing.

I'm assuming that he's a better prospect in terms of his physical skill and talent.

Just my :2cents:

Originally posted by Utah

The kid looked great at mini-camp with no pads on vs 5th and 6th teamers.

I'd feel skeptical about that, too, except for the fact that no one has said that our other two QB's have looked great in any capacity at any time recently. Brunell hasn't honestly looked great in a few years and Patrick hasn't looked truly great since his first game against Tenessee.

Otherwise, I don't know of anyone saying our QB's look great. The same people who said we might be sketchy at QB before the draft are now saying they don't understand why we drafted a QB. It doesn't make any sense.

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

I'd feel skeptical about that, too, except for the fact that no one has said that our other two QB's have looked great in any capacity at any time recently. Brunell hasn't honestly looked great in a few years and Patrick hasn't looked truly great since his first game against Tenessee.

Otherwise, I don't know of anyone saying our QB's look great. The same people who said we might be sketchy at QB before the draft are now saying they don't understand why we drafted a QB. It doesn't make any sense.

Nick

I hear you ntotoro only a Skin fan can hear a compliment about one of our players and turn it into something negative.

I am a Skin fan and my girlfriend will tell you that every year I say this is it, this is the year we start kickin some @$$. We'll last year our D started :evil: punishing anyone who had the ball.

With preseason addition of solid vets, high character rookies who all excelled, and in my opinion the addition of Rabach and return of Jansen (not to mention several blocking TE's and a few FBs). We are going to :movefast: putting Portis in the endzone.

But hey maybe I'm just:high:

Just to add my 2 cents. When the skins picked Campbell, I live in Houston and called my uncle up in D.C. And my Uncle's a true die hard Redskin fan as well as a true College Football watcher.

So, I asked him what he thought about campbell. He told me he basically watched every Auburn football game, and that Campbell is the real deal. Further, my uncle's a big fan of Patrick Ramsey and a supporter of Ramsey. But, he said that Ramsey had nothing on this kid Campbell, and 2 look out for this sucker in a year or 2.

He promised me Redskin fans are gonna love this kid, and to watch and see.

Again, he's my Uncle :rolleyes: . But I know for a fact how he feels about the Redskins and wouldn't just say this to make me happy. And he loved Patrick Ramsey and B!tched and moaned last year when Ramsey wasn't playing.

This Campbell kid just might be the real deal. If not the real deal, than someone that could possibly over throw the likes of Ramsey.

This campbell kid reminds more of the modern era QB like McNabb, Culpepper, Titans QB. Another sign Gibbs knows what is needed, someone who can move around in the pocket easier.

That seems to be Ramseys weak point.

Originally posted by bulldog

the Redskins by and large accomplished their goals:

1. keep most of the key roster spots intact from 2004 to 2005

2. solidify depth at CB, WR, LB, and QB.

3. Get back injured top starters Jansen, Arrington.

4. Come into 2005 with a solid team but low expectations from other teams around the NFL :D

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

yes...mainly b/c i don't think williams was that great of a qb. yea he won the superbowl for us, but the guy barely threw more TDs than INTS and was a career sub 50% passer. if campbell plays this "well" then he's a bust.

so when they say he plays like doug williams, i hope they are referring to those handful of starts in '87.

Archived