Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hasselbeck Caught In Number's Game-SUPER DUPER MEGA MERGE :)

Doozinbrah

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6956

By Casey Husband

Redskins.com

May 4, 2005

When the Redskins selected Auburn's Jason Campbell at No. 25 in the first round of the 2005 NFL draft a week and a half ago, it became apparent that quarterback was a crowded position around Redskins Park.

Tim Hasselbeck, the 6-1, 211-pound third-year player out of Boston College, became the one to go Wednesday when he was released by the team.

Head coach Joe Gibbs said he met with Hasselbeck after the draft and also spoke with the player's agent.

Said Gibbs: "Their preference is for Tim to be released from the team to be able pursue opportunities with other teams this offseason."

Gibbs added that the decision to release Hasselbeck, one of the most popular players on the Redskins, was not an easy one.

"As an organization, we think the world of Tim," Gibbs said. "We love what he did for us while he was here. We wish Tim all the best for his future."

Tim Hasselbeck

With Patrick Ramsey the projected starter at quarterback for 2005 and with 11-year veteran Mark Brunell as an experienced backup, Hasselbeck appeared to be on borrowed time around Redskins Park once the team selected Campbell on Saturday, April 24.

Hasselbeck was listed as the team's third quarterback for all 16 games a year ago and did not see game action during the regular season.

He joined the Redskins during Week 8 of the 2003 campaign, following an injury to Ramsey, and became the team's starting quarterback for five games down the stretch. He completed 95-of-117 passes for 1,102 yards and five TDs that season.

In December of 2003, Hasselbeck started at the Meadowlands and turned in his best performance as a Redskin. He was 13-of-19 for 154 yards, with touchdown passes to Darnerien McCants and Rod Gardner, in a 20-7 Washington win.

Hasselbeck was a restricted free agent this offseason, and the Redskins re-signed him April 19. He had been participating in voluntary off-season workouts at Redskins Park.

An All-America pick as a senior at Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, Massachusetts, Hasselbeck was the MVP of the Aloha Bowl during his final season at Boston College. He is the younger brother of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and the son for former NFL standout Don Hasselbeck.

Tim Hasselbeck joined the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2001 but was released by Buffalo prior to training camp and by Baltimore later that year. He spent time with Carolina and Philadelphia before signing with the Redskins in October 2003.

On Moday, April 25, Hasselbeck said that he appreciates the way Gibbs has handled the situation, adding: "He's been very up front with me. He made me feel that he wanted to help me in terms of my career and in terms of the long run."

Well no more panning to his wife in the stands...:( I hope he goes somewhere that he has an opportunity to play. Good Luck Tim.

Originally posted by Rockville Redskin

...he was the type of QB that could come in and add a spark to the offense and win the game for you...much like a Doug Flutie.

He had a 0.0 QB rating against dallass.

Not much like a Doug Flutie at all.

The beautiful thing, Bufford, is that by having that video up like that, the media will have a VERY hard time selectively spinning the situation to make it look bad. Typically I could see these quotes going out to the media and the media writing a story that Hasselbeck demanded his release after Campbell was drafted and making it seem terrible and negative.

Harder to do like this.

Originally posted by Rockville Redskin

Damn Brunell! I've always been a big fan of Hasslebeck...he was the type of QB that could come in and add a spark to the offense and win the game for you...much like a Doug Flutie.

He won one game....

Originally posted by Art

The beautiful thing, Bufford, is that by having that video up like that, the media will have a VERY hard time selectively spinning the situation to make it look bad. Typically I could see these quotes going out to the media and the media writing a story that Hasselbeck demanded his release after Campbell was drafted and making it seem terrible and negative.

Harder to do like this.

Indeed Mr. Art- I saw it the same way. they used their online dealie to beat anybody to the punch.

#1. Tim asked for his release. They gave it to him, with a glowing referrence. I think he'll land in Seattle with his Brother...or maybe San Fran.

#2. There will be some news tomorrow. That means the media staked out at the park should focus on that, and not Timmy.

#3. Larry Michaels just looks so goofy. Why can't we get a cute female to update us?

Originally posted by Bufford

Indeed Mr. Art- I saw it the same way. they used their online dealie to beat anybody to the punch.

#1. Tim asked for his release. They gave it to him, with a glowing referrence. I think he'll land in Seattle with his Brother...or maybe San Fran.

#2. There will be some news tomorrow. That means the media staked out at the park should focus on that, and not Timmy.

#3. Larry Michaels just looks so goofy. Why can't we get a cute female to update us?

Agreed on No. 3. I like Larry, but, the Skins REALLY should have hired a news cutie and required skirts :). Short ones. One of the Comcast women would have been fine even :).

Originally posted by Art

Agreed on No. 3. I like Larry, but, the Skins REALLY should have hired a news cutie and required skirts :). Short ones. One of the Comcast women would have been fine even :).

Its funny. I think Kelly Johnson is cute and all....but Sage Steele has this weird hottness about her. I can't put my finger on it. I think its because she appears to be more of a sports junkie than the other fine women at Comcast.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

He had a 0.0 QB rating against dallass.

And won a grand total of one game. I wish him the best, but you'd think from all this crying that we just cut Darrell Green or something.

Nick

I was at the game in Miami when Patrick went down and Tim came in and played real well. We wound up losing because Trotter and Iffay miscommunicated and allowed Ricky Williams to roll about 40 yards for a TD.

Seems like a class guy.

Originally posted by red zone

I was at the game in Miami when Patrick went down and Tim came in and played real well. We wound up losing because Trotter and Iffay miscommunicated and allowed Ricky Williams to roll about 40 yards for a TD.

I was at that game too...Ricky scored that TD about 50 feet in front of me. Awful. We lost the game though after we held Miami to a huge 3 and out on their own goal line with barely any time left...only to have Patrick Johnson fumble the punt return away.

Archived