Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not excited about this year

WVSkins79

I think I know what is wrong here.

Having been on this board now for 4 or 5 offseasons, I think I can comment on this problem from an educated standpoint.

Clearly, someone just updated his Madden 05 team and does not like what he sees. Its going to be tough to win some of those online games.

No one ever said defense ALONE wins championships. Obviously you have to have to have a decently productive offense as well, and clearly thats what we lacked last year.

I understand some of the negative viewpoints here. As a fan, its a protective instinct. If you're a hard-core fan, it hurts to have hopes, dreams, positive expectations for your team, only to have them dashed year after year. I think some gravitate towards the negative forecast as a pre-emptive self-strike. It doesn't hurt as much if you prepare yourself mentally in advance. Plus you get the secondary gain of saying 'see - I was right - we aren't good'. Theres a little bit of satisfaction in that.

Bottom line, the exciting thing about today's NFL is that truly ANY team can surprise, outperform al expectations, and turn the corner in any given year. It happens every year now. Are WE that team this coming season? I don't know. But I'd never say never. The only thing more ridiculous than predicting we'll go to the Super Bowl this year is predicting we'll get swept by Philly, Dallas, and the Giants this year. I find both prospects equally implausible.

But you never know. And thats why you watch. And excitement, btw, isn't a choice. It just happens. And I believe, once the season starts, we'll all be excited.

Originally posted by scottlo34

In response to your thread youngster I have come to the conclusion that the reason I feel disgusted about the Redskins is because I grew up on the "first Gibbs regime" and believe me you would be disgusted as I am if you watched the quality of those championship Redskins compared to the debacle the organization has been staging the last ten years. Pathetic and sad.

and your point is...? You at least have experienced great and glorius years, I was too young and barely remember the last of those years. Like I said, I have very little to go by, you have a lot, in theory you should be more die hard and excited than I am. Of course most of us are tired of the yearly suckage, but, as Tarhog put it, every team has the chance to shine. Panthers, Chargers, Steelers, they may have been one year wonders, but they still did it. I understand you are disgusted, but whatever, new year, new players, we are not the redskins of 2004, now we are the redskins of 2005, they may suck, they may win, who knows, all I know is I am excited of watching them play at least. A playoff and super bowl only enhances that by a lot, but initially, I want FOOTBALL!!!

I will say this... I tend to agree with the original post. I think we could be in for a lot of the same this season, and I am more concerned than excited.

THAT BEING SAID, the last time I was not excited about a 'skins upcoming season was 1999. I'll never forget being so concerned about Stephen Davis, some backup FB winning the starting job. AND, we lost Trent Green after '98 even though he showed flashes at the end of the season. So, I was very disappointed.

Then, I remember being in a sports bar in ATL for the first week of the season and we were convincingly winning. Some lady behind me just started taunting everyone saying "This is our year, we've waited long enough." I thought she was crazy at first, then I started to reconsider. I was like, maybe this could be our year.

So, in conclusion, while I am apprehensive about our offseason, you never know. We still have several good pieces involved and Gibbs and Williams.

I think I've been one of the negative posters around here lately, and even I say you're crazy if you're not excited for a new NFL season and more importantly a Redskins season.

The NFL is the greatest league in the world and with all the parody in the league anything can happen.

I can sit here and predict a bad season all I want, but Tarhog said it best that ANY team can outlive the expectations of the preseason and make it deep into the playoffs, or even win the Super Bowl.

I understand if you don't think we're going to have a good season, but to say you're not excited is just crazy.

Don't believe all the negative press. This years' Redskins are going to ROCK HARD. We're going to be much much better than last year, due to continuity, an upgraded Oline, better deep schemes ala Musgrave, upgraded receiver corps and goal line offense. Our D will be just as good as it was. Gibbs has plenty of tape to study from last season, and knows just what to fix - this is evidenced by the drafting of two big blocking fullbacks. Once we add this much-needed dimension to our game, then our passing game will have more success, as will Portis.

The "bad" offseason has clouded a lot of people memories of the end of last season. The offense was playing sharp, the defense had swagger and the special teams was doing much better in all phases. We'll pick up right from where we left off come September, but we'll have the 'underdogs' tag placed on our back. I am very excited about this year!

Originally posted by sweet daddy

I am pumped about this season. PR is going to have a good season. The line is intact and ready to block. Portis will be an animal again. And the D....oh the GW D will be back and in force.

I agree 100% with this statement

I am excited just as I am every year... win or lose this year I will be here reading and being just as excited next year.... thats how you have to be.... with any team.... be excited that they will be on the field again in my opinion....

Originally posted by dannyboy70

Don't believe all the negative press. This years' Redskins are going to ROCK HARD. We're going to be much much better than last year, due to continuity, an upgraded Oline, better deep schemes ala Musgrave, upgraded receiver corps and goal line offense. Our D will be just as good as it was. Gibbs has plenty of tape to study from last season, and knows just what to fix - this is evidenced by the drafting of two big blocking fullbacks. Once we add this much-needed dimension to our game, then our passing game will have more success, as will Portis.

The "bad" offseason has clouded a lot of people memories of the end of last season. The offense was playing sharp, the defense had swagger and the special teams was doing much better in all phases. We'll pick up right from where we left off come September, but we'll have the 'underdogs' tag placed on our back. I am very excited about this year!

Ding.

Originally posted by Mr. S

and your point is...? You at least have experienced great and glorius years, I was too young and barely remember the last of those years. Like I said, I have very little to go by, you have a lot, in theory you should be more die hard and excited than I am. Of course most of us are tired of the yearly suckage, but, as Tarhog put it, every team has the chance to shine. Panthers, Chargers, Steelers, they may have been one year wonders, but they still did it. I understand you are disgusted, but whatever, new year, new players, we are not the redskins of 2004, now we are the redskins of 2005, they may suck, they may win, who knows, all I know is I am excited of watching them play at least. A playoff and super bowl only enhances that by a lot, but initially, I want FOOTBALL!!!

:logo: Your sig says it all to me. When I look at Clark and Monk, I think wow, we sure don't have anyone of that caliber anymore. They were real Redskins. I bleed burgundy and gold just like the next fan on this board. (most of them anyway) Right about this time of year I start gassing to everyone I know about how good we are going to be, only to be let down once again. My allegiance to the team will never be questioned. I will always be a Redskins fan. These days though, there comes a point when I have to set down my "We are #1" foam finger, look around at the series of laughable decisions that have been made in this organization and realize that we are not even close to what the Redskins have instilled into the fans that remember the glory days and that is pride and respect. I hope Joe Gibbs can turn it around. If anyone can, he can. The problem is Dan Snyder. Just as soon as Snyder sells this team and puts it back into the hands of an owner that wants to win instead of making us "#1 revenue making team in the NFL" then the Redskins will return to what they used to be. I don't know if you remember Jack Kent Cooke, and I don't know who likes him on this board and who doesn't, and frankly I don't care. Cooke had passion. Cooke had zeal. Cooke was committed to one thing and one thing only.........winning. He loved his Redskins and it was that kind of infectious enthusiasm for the Redskins that got into me when I was 10 years making me a fan for life. I have earned the right to criticize my team. I have earned the right to voice my opinion about this team no matter where it might be. I have been up and down with the Redskins for over 20 years. I also have earned the right to eneter this '05 campaign with cautious enthusiasm...not skeptical, but cautious. Enjoy the season.

Originally posted by mookie0720

I think I've been one of the negative posters around here lately, and even I say you're crazy if you're not excited for a new NFL season and more importantly a Redskins season.

The NFL is the greatest league in the world and with all the parody in the league anything can happen.

I can sit here and predict a bad season all I want, but Tarhog said it best that ANY team can outlive the expectations of the preseason and make it deep into the playoffs, or even win the Super Bowl.

I understand if you don't think we're going to have a good season, but to say you're not excited is just crazy.

:cheers:

That's what I was looking for Mookie!!!!

Originally posted by kingchris626

Whether we are going to dominate or lose every game I don't care. I'm pumped about every season. I just like to watch football and even more watch the skins play

this is all how I feel. 105 days til the first skins preseason game is too long! I just wanna see football again!

Iheart, good clip there!:cheers:

Originally posted by WVSkins79

I hate to be negative, but I am still fired up over my team's decisions. If any Skins fan wants to dream that Santana and David Patten will have 1500 yards seasons, they can go right ahead and kid themselves. I don't have a crystal ball, but I think I can easily see into the Skins' 2005 season. I see a passing game that couldn't intimidate a pee-wee defense and I see many men in the box lined up on the other side of the ball awaiting Portis.

Ok for two seasons we had Coles and never won more than 6 games. For years we had all of these great off-season pick-ups and still never made it to the play-offs. So because we didnt go out and get ourselves in more cap problems,with players that carry the me first attitude, you can see us struggling this year. I just dont understand this line of reasoning. None of us know what our recievers might do this year, but I trust before the Redskins went after these recievers, Joe Gibbs and his staff spent more time investigating where they would help our offense than you did. I also challenge you to go back and research Sanata Moss career so far and see if you still feel the same way. He brings more than one deminsion to our team.

Thanks to those that discussed the concerns I have. So many others didn't like it, but who cares? This IS a forum and whenever I feel the need to state my opinion, I will. You would think people would understand that not everybody in a forum is going to agree with each other. If they traded Lavar for the Patriots' 7th round draft pick next year I'm not going to stand here and wave a flag and say "Go team Go" just because the rest of you would. I come to a forum to state my opinion, not jump on a bandwagon or make cute remarks and try to make others like me.

Originally posted by WVSkins79

Thanks to those that discussed the concerns I have. So many others didn't like it, but who cares? This IS a forum and whenever I feel the need to state my opinion, I will. You would think people would understand that not everybody in a forum is going to agree with each other. If they traded Lavar for the Patriots' 7th round draft pick next year I'm not going to stand here and wave a flag and say "Go team Go" just because the rest of you would. I come to a forum to state my opinion, not jump on a bandwagon or make cute remarks and try to make others like me.

That's great! Glad you accomplished your goal of the last sentence!

Archived