Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Draft Grade?

Gibbs4Life

If Ramsey can prove that we he can actually be consistent and win game then we have a good potential QB waiting and pressing Ramsey to keep it up, and if Ramsey soes not pan out then we have a young QB to try and probably tha next starter, the rest of the picks will fill up needs and Rogers pick was great.

Filled a need with Rogers. Campbell was pointless. 4 QB's now?? I think the UCLA kid looks good. Gibbs likes big backs, however 2 fullbacks is a wasted pick. We have LB's coming out of the woodwork so let's draft two more. What? Ignored the D-Line and added no WR to speak of. I think this will go down as Joe Gibbs' worst draft. And to think that he is currently in what he calls "the most important six months of my coaching career". Well, if this is what we have to show for a remark made with such urgency, then folks, 2005 has 7-9 written all over it. The 2005 Redskins draft was a bust and a major disappointment. My grade is a D-.

Originally posted by Gibbs4Life

D- The only thing that keeps it from being an F is carlos rogers.

1st. Carlos rogers is the best cb in the draft, but considering we passed on mike williams to get him it is a horrible pick. We have the #3 defense in the league, and 28th or so offense and we got rid of our starting recievers but instead of getting the best reciever in the draft we go with carlos rogers.

1st. Jason Campbell, possibly the worst pick in the draft for what we gave up. We have basically sacrificed next years draft for a guy thats going to sit on the bench and might not ever play. We might have been in a position to draft kiwinuka next season or maybe even matt lienhart, now it doesnt matter. We also passed up on the best tightend in the draft in heath miller. Someone that might actaully help our offense instead of sit on the sideline.

4th. Some fullback we dont need. Instead of picking up jerome mathis, a wonderful looking prospect with sick juke moves and chris canty who is a beastly end who could have been a 1st rouder if he wasnt injured. We didnt pick up either one of these guys in positions of need, instead we let our enemy dallas get him. Another brilliant move by us.

5th. Robert mccune. The best move weve made all draft. He is speedy and might be able to replace barrow if he is still injured.

the rest of our draft doesnt matter cause they probably suck and arent going to play.

Probably the worst draft weve had in a long time. D- is being nice. id rate ours as probably the worst of the draft.

weren't you the guy that was crying all day yesterday. I wasn't suprised from your grade.:laugh:

You can't grade this draft until 3 years.

I'll give the draft a B-

We needed Rogers to replace Smoot. Rogers will be a better player then Smoot and will be cheaper because of rookie contract.

Campbell was a investment/insurance pick for Gibbs. He has better talent then Ramsey when he was drafted. We could have used it in another area like DE but if Ramsey doesn't pan out Campbell will be able to start next year. Gibbs is right. That has better value then any other pos.

I really like the McCune pick. Guy sounds like another clone of Pierce but with better size, strengh, and speed. I look for him to possibly start/significant playing time at MLB towards the middle-end of this season if he catches on quick.

I thought the White pick was a waste. We don't need another H-back. Gibbs needs to curb his lust for TE and H-backs.

Very excited and happy about the Broughton pick. Gibbs & Co. have him pegged as just a special team player but I feel he will see a lot of playing time. He really addresses the need for a short yardage RB we lacked last year. Sounds very similar to Riggins type player but without the ability to break it outside like Riggo could do. Very good inside the tackles runner which fits perfectly. This guy might be a surprise player for us this year.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

At a minimum, so far it's a B.

You are incorrect on all points and you show that you are actually comparable to a dead blade of grass or possibly a bowl of hair in your football IQ.

That;s my opinion of your opinion.

I see you have now added enough posts to upgrade you to rookie.

Can you point out 5 specifics of positive or even neutral posts to us that would prove that you arent simply a troll?

You really are taking this positive thing too far buddy. You attack anyone that doesn't like this draft when the vast majority of people both skin fans and not aren't nearly as thrilled as you are about it.

In fact going by this poll which stands at 225 votes as I type this 72% score the team as a C or lower, 42% D or lower, and your position which is B or higher would make up 27%. You are in the minority position, in large part because you are taking the weak position of whatever the team does is great, aka the fan boy position. I'm starting to wonder if you don't insist on over paying for beer at the store just to be more loyal to Snyder.

My draft grade is a C If you look at the draft alone, and ignore other FO moves leading up to it we filled one need at CB, may have filled another with a short yardage back, and got some insurance in case Ramsey doesn't work out, and picked up some prospects at LB.

The negatives come in when you consider that the team as a whole is not going to be greatly improved next year by this draft. We have a lot of need and did not fill many of them. The grade could move up if Campbell turns into a starter, but as of right now the team on the field is not greatly improved by this draft next year and we have greatly limited ourselves next year by trading away the #1.

Thus this draft earns a average grade.

- Cambell was an interesting pick: If Ramsey doesn't sign next year or cannot get the job done, then this will be a genius pick.

Eitherway we were one injury away from a disasterous season.

pick = A- The quaterback is too important a position

- Carlos Rogers: Arguably the best CB in the draft. A need position pick=A

- Mccune = A solid LB needed for depth and to compete. Look for him to start next year. Barrows is on Barrowed time. pick=B

Overall we paid too much for Cambell. I'm not sure why we needed two FBs. I'm sure we'll be active June1st. I'm wondering if we're making a deal for a DE. I wouldn't be surprised.

I think we had a solid draft. I would've loved to have seen a TE.

I sincerely hope I'm forced to eat my words sometime in the near future, but I think that passing on Williams for Rodgers was retarded, and selecting Campbell instead of Marlin Jackson will mean that Denver will get a VERY HIGH first round selection next year thanks to us having yet another crappy season.

I broke it down by percentages a bit... I didn't go into detail, if you'd like to know the reason I gave a player a grade, go ahead and ask :)

Round #1, Pick #9: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn: 90%

Round #1, Pick #25: Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn: 75%

Round #4, Pick #120: Manuel White, Jr., FB, UCLA: 65%

Round #5, Pick #154: Robert McCune, LB, Louisville: 80%

Round #6, Pick #189: Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford: 50%

Round #7, Pick #222: Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel: 70%

OVERALL: 71%, equating to a C-

I gave this draft a C as I was thinking B-/C+ but no higher, so went with a C.

I loved the pick of Rogers, very physical corner who can play man or zone.

I have no objection to the Campbell pick or the trade up.

Consider this when you think about the trade up for #25:

Buffalo gave up a 2005 1st round pick in last year's draft to move up 23 spots from pick #43 in round 2 to #20 in round 1. We gave up 2006 1st and 4th round picks to move up 51 spots from pick #76 in round 3 to #25 in round 1. It's the same deal plus a 4th rounder to move up an additional 28 spots.

I want Ramsey to suceed, but if he doesn't the next option is there.

Wasn't keen on adding White or the FB in the 7th, though the Skins could use a good red zone back.

I loved the McCune pick and Newbury could be a useful addition down the line. Both are excellent ST's, important for a rookie if you want to make this team.

I would have liked to have added a DL and OL prospect somewhere but it's hard to get everything in one draft. There are still the UDFA's to add yet.

I give the draft a B-. I like most of the picks, including the backs. I think the whole Campbell move was bad overall. It really only works if Campbell ends up being a better QB than Ramsey. Problem is, if Ramsey succeeds, then we wasted a whole lot of picks. I still think picking up LeFors in the 4th round would have been a better way to handle it.

I'm also somewhat disappointed that, yet again, we didn't draft anyone on the DL. It is almost like this team goes out of their way not to draft any.

Jason

Originally posted by Destino

You really are taking this positive thing too far buddy. You attack anyone that doesn't like this draft when the vast majority of people both skin fans and not aren't nearly as thrilled as you are about it.

In fact going by this poll which stands at 225 votes as I type this 72% score the team as a C or lower, 42% D or lower, and your position which is B or higher would make up 27%. You are in the minority position, in large part because you are taking the weak position of whatever the team does is great, aka the fan boy position. I'm starting to wonder if you don't insist on over paying for beer at the store just to be more loyal to Snyder.

My draft grade is a C If you look at the draft alone, and ignore other FO moves leading up to it we filled one need at CB, may have filled another with a short yardage back, and got some insurance in case Ramsey doesn't work out, and picked up some prospects at LB.

The negatives come in when you consider that the team as a whole is not going to be greatly improved next year by this draft. We have a lot of need and did not fill many of them. The grade could move up if Campbell turns into a starter, but as of right now the team on the field is not greatly improved by this draft next year and we have greatly limited ourselves next year by trading away the #1.

You're too funny!

I grade a B and you grade a C and you accuse me of being a homer? Didnt you just tell me that a large percentage just disagreed with you as well as me?

Whatever....

As usual for you Mr. Contrarian you discount the fact that a vast majority of those who voted are the part timers who of course filled the chicken little thread.

Regardless, I don't give a flyling rats a$$ what the fans worldwide think of the trade. It bears no consequence towards what decisions were made.

I really don't care what your personal opi nion of me nor the Redskins draft is, because I live a real world where the average fan knows very little about what this team needs.

Call me when you have an office at Fed Ex, otherwise you really mean squat.

As with any draft, the proof is in the play time. We all remember when Reid drafted Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. Why do that with Bobby Tatlor and Troy Vincent starting?

Wait and see, fellas. I will say, drafting a QB when Ramsey is "the man" didn't make much sense to me. That's definitly a contradiction that cost alot of picks. But who am I to question the greatness that is Gibbs?

This is my first ever post, as I just found out about this site in the days leading up to the draft.

I am a loyal and life-long Redskins fan who sincerely hopes that that words I am about to write will be proven wrong.

This was a terrible draft, one of the worst I can remember, though 1994 (the Heath Shuler debacle) and 1995 (Michael Westbrook) were pretty bad. In fact, I can't give us a grade higher than a D, and that is only because I thought our first and last picks were great. Though even my enthusiasm for Carlos must be tempered as it was made by passing up Mike Williams, a player that could have addressed our most glaring deficiency: scoring. My analysis, in order:

1. Carlos Rogers: I watched a number of Auburn games last year and thought Rogers was an absolute stud. That opinion seems to have born out by his Thorpe award. That being said, I really would have liked to have seen us grab Mike Williams. I mean have you seen his stats...I mean really taken a look. The kid scored 30 touchdowns in 15 starts. With our current receiving corp consisting of small burners, I thought a big redzone machine like Williams was a no-brainer. Not to mention the star power that he would have brought to the franchise, though with Arrington, Portis and Taylor we may have all we need on that front.

2. Jason Campbell: When reading what I am about to write, keep this in mind: I thought he was the best QB prospect in the draft. However, not only did this pick make very little sense from a football sense, but it demonstrated to the league, in no uncertain terms, that our FO is in shambles. For Big Len to have called our move, in public, a week before the draft is inexcusable. Moreover, we could have taken Williams above and still addressed our cornerback needs, either here at 25 or by trading down as solid CB's like Justin Miller and Cory Webster were still available in the 2nd. I also would have liked to seen us draft an end like Dan Cody (a steal at no.53, by Baltimore no less). I won't even get into the fact that we gave away a no. 1 in a much better draft, as I think that we can still have a successful draft next year with success in the later rounds. Which brings me to...

3. Manuel White Jr.: I thought it was a good move to trade down, as I think that we were targeting Elton Brown (or at least we should have been) in this round and he went the pick before. However, to take White, who may end up being a find goalline back, over kids like Chris Canty, Fred Gibson, Jevon Haye, etc. at positions of need was crazy. For full disclosure purposes, I went to UVa, and I may be biased but I know Canty is going to be a stud in the League, and I am not alone in that opinion as the Scouts, Inc. gave him a draft grade of 88. Plus he was ultra productive at UVa, he even led the ACC in tackles as DE, and is a good character kid contrary to the garbage out there before the draft. What about Rock Cartwright? I mean if we needed an H-back stick Cooley there and draft Heath Miller at 25. This pick really really soured me on the draft.

4. Robert McCune: Thought this was a fine pick. Sounds like an athlete from a good program who could be coached up by Greg Williams and become a contributor early. One of our better picks.

5. Jared Newberry: Could be solid, but lets take a look at who was drafted after this guy: Newberry, Haye, Ryan Riddle, Jonathan Goddard. Those are all guys I would rather have had.

7. Nehemiah Broughton: Stroke of genius. I think this kid is going to be great for us. He is big and fast and hopefully will be a Zach Crockett type guy at the goalline (a big problem for us last year). But it further calls into question our selection of White in round 4.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for those who took the time to read it. I just wanted my first post on this site to be one of substance.

Originally posted by aloush1

This is my first ever post, as I just found out about this site in the days leading up to the draft.

I am a loyal and life-long Redskins fan who sincerely hopes that that words I am about to write will be proven wrong.

This was a terrible draft, one of the worst I can remember, though 1994 (the Heath Shuler debacle) and 1995 (Michael Westbrook) were pretty bad. In fact, I can't give us a grade higher than a D, and that is only because I thought our first and last picks were great. Though even my enthusiasm for Carlos must be tempered as it was made by passing up Mike Williams, a player that could have addressed our most glaring deficiency: scoring. My analysis, in order:

1. Carlos Rogers: I watched a number of Auburn games last year and thought Rogers was an absolute stud. That opinion seems to have born out by his Thorpe award. That being said, I really would have liked to have seen us grab Mike Williams. I mean have you seen his stats...I mean really taken a look. The kid scored 30 touchdowns in 15 starts. With our current receiving corp consisting of small burners, I thought a big redzone machine like Williams was a no-brainer. Not to mention the star power that he would have brought to the franchise, though with Arrington, Portis and Taylor we may have all we need on that front.

2. Jason Campbell: When reading what I am about to write, keep this in mind: I thought he was the best QB prospect in the draft. However, not only did this pick make very little sense from a football sense, but it demonstrated to the league, in no uncertain terms, that our FO is in shambles. For Big Len to have called our move, in public, a week before the draft is inexcusable. Moreover, we could have taken Williams above and still addressed our cornerback needs, either here at 25 or by trading down as solid CB's like Justin Miller and Cory Webster were still available in the 2nd. I also would have liked to seen us draft an end like Dan Cody (a steal at no.53, by Baltimore no less). I won't even get into the fact that we gave away a no. 1 in a much better draft, as I think that we can still have a successful draft next year with success in the later rounds. Which brings me to...

3. Manuel White Jr.: I thought it was a good move to trade down, as I think that we were targeting Elton Brown (or at least we should have been) in this round and he went the pick before. However, to take White, who may end up being a find goalline back, over kids like Chris Canty, Fred Gibson, Jevon Haye, etc. at positions of need was crazy. For full disclosure purposes, I went to UVa, and I may be biased but I know Canty is going to be a stud in the League, and I am not alone in that opinion as the Scouts, Inc. gave him a draft grade of 88. Plus he was ultra productive at UVa, he even led the ACC in tackles as DE, and is a good character kid contrary to the garbage out there before the draft. What about Rock Cartwright? I mean if we needed an H-back stick Cooley there and draft Heath Miller at 25. This pick really really soured me on the draft.

4. Robert McCune: Thought this was a fine pick. Sounds like an athlete from a good program who could be coached up by Greg Williams and become a contributor early. One of our better picks.

5. Jared Newberry: Could be solid, but lets take a look at who was drafted after this guy: Newberry, Haye, Ryan Riddle, Jonathan Goddard. Those are all guys I would rather have had.

7. Nehemiah Broughton: Stroke of genius. I think this kid is going to be great for us. He is big and fast and hopefully will be a Zach Crockett type guy at the goalline (a big problem for us last year). But it further calls into question our selection of White in round 4.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for those who took the time to read it. I just wanted my first post on this site to be one of substance.

You said EXACTLY what I've been saying for the last 24 hours...granted, you just took a little longer to say it :)

I like you. Stick around.

When the downtime is done, going to have to revisit this. Like the first post. Outstanding. I don't agre, but helluva way to say hello.

Regardless what happens aloush1, I'm still tryin' to have faith. But seriously, how could we pass on Mike Williams??? There were several CB's that would've been able to step in and make a difference in Gregg Williams' defensive scheme. Great first post, man.

Originally posted by omerwig

Regardless what happens aloush1, I'm still tryin' to have faith. But seriously, how could we pass on Mike Williams??? There were several CB's that would've been able to step in and make a difference in Gregg Williams' defensive scheme. Great first post, man.

Obviously, Gregg Williams didnt think so, Why would you then?

Archived