Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs quotes on Campbell.

Art

I suppose my only real concern here is that I don't like how you define the need of a pass rush. We had a tremendous pass rush last year. Among the best in football. It's likely to get better with Arrington's return and Bowen in and, heck, Rogers or Harris of the edge instead of Smoot.

I think you mean you'd like us to develop a pass rush more from a defensive lineman, specifically a defensive end. I agree with that and would have loved to see that need filled. But, that player also wouldn't have contributed immediately any more than Campbell.

We have starting ends. Wynn played almost every snap. Daniels is going to play most snaps if healthy. There's a rotation of sorts, but, a handful of plays in a game is similar to Campbell getting mop up time in games as you might think he could.

But, again, I don't disagree with the need at defensive end.

I just think given how the defense performed and how Williams likes to deploy his players, this need is better hidden than others, which is why I kind of came off defensive line as the primary need.

As for receiver, as you define the glaring need to be a true No. 1 receiver, and you realize that's highly rare for a rookie to accomplish, you appreciate the extremely unlikely possibility that a rookie receiver would become that player this year, therefore would not likely contribute to filling the need this year.

Now, if we had a receiver capable of 75 or so catches for 1,100 or so yards and 10 touchdowns, I'd be satisfied that he's pretty close to being a possible No. 1 guy. And, since we DO have a receiver capable of that, we are MORE likely to achieve the need being filled with Moss than any rookie. At least THIS year :).

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by Gilgamesh

As for next year's draft, we'll have an opportunity to reacquire a #1 if/when we trade LaVar to a team desperate for LB help. We don't need him or his attitude on this team with Williams here.

That is a bold statement that I happen to be in complete agreement with. We scarcely missed him last year.

Ramsey wasnt even Spurrier's guy if you remember Danny forced S Double to accept Ramsey by cutting Danny Woeful.

Campbell is mobile , tall with a nice arm and was what 70 percent of his passes were completed up from 60 plus percent the year before?

Art,

The same posters who are complaining about the pick AND the trade would be the same posters who would complain in two years if Ramsey sucked and Gibbs didn't have a backup plan.

You can please some of the people some of the time......

Originally posted by Art

I suppose my only real concern here is that I don't like how you define the need of a pass rush. We had a tremendous pass rush last year. Among the best in football. It's likely to get better with Arrington's return and Bowen in and, heck, Rogers or Harris of the edge instead of Smoot.

I think you mean you'd like us to develop a pass rush more from a defensive lineman, specifically a defensive end. I agree with that and would have loved to see that need filled. But, that player also wouldn't have contributed immediately any more than Campbell.

We have starting ends. Wynn played almost every snap. Daniels is going to play most snaps if healthy. There's a rotation of sorts, but, a handful of plays in a game is similar to Campbell getting mop up time in games as you might think he could.

But, again, I don't disagree with the need at defensive end.

I just think given how the defense performed and how Williams likes to deploy his players, this need is better hidden than others, which is why I kind of came off defensive line as the primary need.

As for receiver, as you define the glaring need to be a true No. 1 receiver, and you realize that's highly rare for a rookie to accomplish, you appreciate the extremely unlikely possibility that a rookie receiver would become that player this year, therefore would not likely contribute to filling the need this year.

Now, if we had a receiver capable of 75 or so catches for 1,100 or so yards and 10 touchdowns, I'd be satisfied that he's pretty close to being a possible No. 1 guy. And, since we DO have a receiver capable of that, we are MORE likely to achieve the need being filled with Moss than any rookie. At least THIS year :).

Great points. I disagree somewhat. While a rookie DE wouldn't have played every down with Daniels and Wynn in the mix, he would have still played and contributed more than 1,000 times mores than Campbell.

Originally posted by illone

Art,

The same posters who are complaining about the pick AND the trade would be the same posters who would complain in two years if Ramsey sucked and Gibbs didn't have a backup plan.

You can please some of the people some of the time......

Dead wrong about me. I loved the trade. You can't argue with the chart. I also loved it because I knew there was so much depth at CB and DE that we could get a great pick there. Dan Cody might up being the best DE in the draft.

There was depth at QB this year. I would have rather seen Leflors, McPherson, Walters, or Orton later in the draft. I will never be happy using a first round pick on someone you hope never sees the field.

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

So you are saying you wanted a QB and a LG ? Hmmm... The LG is coming tomorrow I believe.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Man your getting grumpy in your old age.

Happy birthday Bro!

:whippin:

Originally posted by zoony

Didn't notice till Chubakah pointed it out.

Happy Birthday!!

But if it's any consolation, I think you've always been grumpy.... it's nothing to do with your old age :)

Hey guys - thank you!

And while I admit to the sin of 'grumpiness' on occasion, that was SUPPOSED to be a JOKE.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to using smiley's in every post!

Archived