Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs quotes on Campbell.

Art

Here are some Gibbs quotes on Campbell. This is a release to the media that we will probably see and it was forwarded to me as a courtesy to provide to the site.

APRIL 23, 2005

HEAD COACH JOE GIBBS

On selecting quarterback Jason Campbell of Auburn:

“I think in this situation we thought long and hard about this when we got down to seeing who was going to be there. We did not think that Jason would be there and we had other people ear marked for that spot. I think when you sit there and it comes time to make the pick and he is sitting there it is very hard to pass him up we felt like.”

On how this selection might affect quarterback Patrick Ramsey:

“This does not affect Patrick in any way. I had talks with him last week. Patrick is our starter. Patrick is the guy we are counting on to taking us to the playoffs and championships here. We are trying to get every single thing around Patrick or any quarterback that played for us there. I talked to Patrick about our offensive line and our receivers and the efforts that we made there. We are counting on Patrick. Mark (Brunell) is sitting there in a position that is very important for us. He is a mature guy who can do the things that we feel like are very important. We talked about them in getting Mark last year. I was very comfortable if the competition went and it wound up Mark starting and Patrick sitting there behind him learning and getting ready to play that would be fine.

If it was the other way around I also would be very comfortable. Of course we all know what happened last year. I think the bottom line on this one was when you consider everything and we got down to 25, we felt like there would be some very good players there and there were and we did our homework and we didn’t think that Jason would go that far, we thought he was going to be gone early. When it got down to that pick we felt like it was hard to pass him up.”

On if Jason Campbell becomes the third quarterback:

“Actually right now the only thing I want to say is that we have a good young quarterback and we are anxious for him to come here and go to work. I am not sure what we are going to do there.”

On what the long term situation is for the team in drafting Jason Campbell:

“I feel like for us and the value for the organization long term you don’t ever go wrong with a quarterback. If you have someone that you think is talented and can play for you, you look at that and say ‘where is the value of the pick?’ and we felt like he was the guy that we needed to get.”

On gambling on taking a player (Jason Campbell) that might not make a significant contribution in the upcoming seasons:

“We felt like as I have said that the quarterback position when you get down to that point in the draft and you are analyzing things for our future we felt like it was the best pick for us. I always look at it as quarterbacks are very valuable up here. You are kind of vested in them. It takes a long time to get one ready to play for you, so we felt like it was something value wise that we had to do.”

On if this is what he wanted to happen when he made the trade for the 25th selection:

“When we decided to go and make that trade there was a number of players that we thought we would be looking at. To me when you are looking at the draft picks I like to put a face on it. Someone that we have analyzed and looked at on film and you say ‘ok that is what we are comparing.’ Same thing when you go and trade something. To me it is knowing the person and not putting the value on it. When I get a list which we came up with, a list that we thought with the possibilities in this draft knowing where it was loaded, this is what would be there. I mentioned there were two corners on that board that we liked so there was a group there. Receivers and corners are sitting there that we liked.

When we got down there we had done our homework and had worked Jason out but we didn’t think he would be there. You go down through there and when you get there you make the best choice based off of what you think the value would be and the future of the organization. “

Originally posted by Art

On how this selection might affect quarterback Patrick Ramsey:

“This does not affect Patrick in any way. I had talks with him last week. Patrick is our starter. Patrick is the guy we are counting on to taking us to the playoffs and championships here. We are trying to get every single thing around Patrick or any quarterback that played for us there. I talked to Patrick about our offensive line and our receivers and the efforts that we made there. We are counting on Patrick. Mark (Brunell) is sitting there in a position that is very important for us. He is a mature guy who can do the things that we feel like are very important. We talked about them in getting Mark last year. I was very comfortable if the competition went and it wound up Mark starting and Patrick sitting there behind him learning and getting ready to play that would be fine.

If it was the other way around I also would be very comfortable. Of course we all know what happened last year. I think the bottom line on this one was when you consider everything and we got down to 25, we felt like there would be some very good players there and there were and we did our homework and we didn’t think that Jason would go that far, we thought he was going to be gone early. When it got down to that pick we felt like it was hard to pass him up.”

I don't like to go against Gibb's, but he is correct. Maybe we should draft and keep five QB's on the roster.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Thanks, for the prerelease. How would you grade our draft to this point?

I'm still trying to figure out how to say what I want to say :).

I like the Rogers pick. I'm conflicted on the Campbell pick. He's probably my favorite player in the draft. I think he'll be great. But, I think Ramsey will be very good as well. And, no matter WHAT happens, the pick will generate the negative.

If Ramsey is highly successful, the public focus will be on the waste of a first-round pick on a player who will only see the field in the worst of circumstances -- an injury to the starting QB. If Ramsey fails, the public will focus on having to look over his shoulder and how the team challenged his position with this pick.

If Ramsey is only a good player, and has to miss a game and Campbell looks REMOTELY good, the team will have the public focus on why the "better" player is on the bench. When will he start? This kind of thing.

While I fully appreciate the public perception should not dictate personnel moves, the fact is, this move can not generate a positive public outcome, and, given the investment in the "backup" QB, it will generate needless intrusion and question with the team from outside forces, be they fans or the media, all wondering when the QB of the future is going to play and no amount of being told Campbell isn't necessarily that will make a difference.

Now, I understand how this is a good move in many ways as well.

It takes time to develop a young QB. Campbell will have the opportunity to be brought along slowly. This is a positive. If Ramsey does "blow up" either in a positive or negative way, the team has protection in Campbell.

This is a classic definition of a move for the future of the team in taking a young QB you intend to develop slowly. In all though, I think there will be an unnecessary distraction by having Campbell that will be somewhat troublesome.

So, on one hand I like and the other I don't :).

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Thanks, for the prerelease. How would you grade our draft to this point?

I'd rate it 'Inconclusive'.

There is no way we'll know if Campbell was a good pick or not for several years.

He was NOT brought in here to unseat Ramsey.

Anyone that knows Gibbs, knows he doesn't start, or doesn't want to start rookies. Especially QBs, who Gibbs would prefer ride the bench and learn for 3-4 years (like Rypien).

Remember Ramsey is 26. So if it goes the way Gibbs I suspect envisions, in 4 years Campbell will be ready to take the field and Ramsey will be 30, and Brunell will be retired. Thirty is still young enough for Ramsey to be great, but at that time, Gibbs (or Williams if Gibbs retires ;) ) will have a very competent back-up or have to take over if Ramsey falters.

Originally posted by trez

4 quarterbacks, no good receivers. Brilliant. I seriously think that Gibbs has lost it.

Oh, I think Gibbs has a pretty good idea as to things, though, I suspect you have far less of an idea. Do the Redskins have a receiver we know to be a great one? No. And, we wouldn't, this moment, know we had that had we taken any receiver in the draft.

We do, however, currently have two young receivers taken in the first round who have both had 1,000-yard seasons as pro receivers in Gardner and Moss. Players who have upside and potential to play well and have shown that. We do have a solid, stable pair of vets in Thrash and Patten who have shown capability to be No. 2 or No. 3 receivers. We have another young receiver who had a first-round grade who has not had regular playing time yet in Jacobs. And, we have another young receiver in McCants that many fans like.

We have two young receivers taken in the first round and one in the second, with a pair of good, experienced vets. We have receivers. What we apparently don't have as many of is fans with brains. Please, try never to embarrass yourself in front of me again.

Art,

Reading between the lines here I see Brunell being gone in a year or two. Campbell is insurance for the future.

Just a thought I had when I was downstairs scratching my head trying to figure everything out.

It makes sense that Gibbs would want someone he can groom for a couple years to fill in as the #2 save Ramsey plays great and lives up to potential. Truth be told I think Brunell has played his last down unless something crazy happens next season.

This is a blessing in disguise.

Originally posted by illone

Art,

Reading between the lines here I see Brunell being gone in a year or two. Campbell is insurance for the future.

Just a thought I had when I was downstairs scratching my head trying to figure everything out.

It makes sense that Gibbs would want someone he can groom for a couple years to fill in as the #2 save Ramsey plays great and lives up to potential. Truth be told I think Brunell has played his last down unless something crazy happens next season.

This is a blessing in disguise.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing after shaking the cobwebs out.... i'm still a bit shaken, that we gave up so much though

sad to say at this time, but this Brunell aqusition is still biting us in the butt, and at no greater time than this... he has prevented us from keeping two of our star defensive players and now he's dead-weight in our QB shuffle.. because we may have to get rid of a decent backup in Hasselback since we won't be able to dump Brunell and his extravegant contract

Hell, I'm a fricken accountant, so I'm not about to question why Gibbs did what he did. All I know is that Gibbs somehow brings out the best in his players - especially late round draft picks. I'm excited for the season to start and I hold my head high going into the season because I know my team is being lead by Coach Gibbs. HAIL TO THE SKINS!!!

IMO...This appears to be the same situation as in San Diego with Phillip Rivers. Here you invest 1st round money on a player to ride the bench when you have a very young QB already in Ramsey. I think Ramsey has this year to prove himself as a legitimate QB in this league and if he doesnt show up to play, then this pick may seem to be a wise investment for the future.

But for now, the media will blow this up for all its worth and Gibbs will be taken to the house for this pick. This pick just doesnt make sense if Gibbs believes in Ramsey for the future. He must not see a future for ramsey in this organization. And dont be suprised if Ramsey requests some type of trade down the road.

If I was Ramsey, I would be wondering why would you invest top dollar for a back-up if for some reason you dont have any faith on your current QB situation.

We did not think that Jason would be there and we had other people ear marked for that spot.

Anyone else think that this is a telling response? It could be that maybe we really were looking at Matt Jones or hoping Pollack or James would fall to #25.

Maybe we can stash one of them on IR for a year or two. It worked last time Gibbs was around :) But seriously, unless your QB is named Peyton, you can never fault a team for taking a good QB prospect. It's the one position that can put you in playoff contention by itself.

Archived