Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone seen this tidbit on Wilky?

Zen-like Todd

from this article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/gary_horton/20020607.html

Word around Washington is that defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson is working like never before. Once viewed by most scouts and coaches as a "bust," the former No. 1 overall pick is working like never before as a result of new coordinator Marvin Lewis' arrival with the Redskins. Lewis will give Wilkinson the chance to be a playmaker through stunts, which should maximize the talented tackle's rare size/speed ratio. . .

I think he's steadily improved over the last couple of years, and just hasn't received credit for it in the national media. He was our best d-lineman last year over the course of the season, and a big part of our high overall defensive ranking. If he continues to improve (which seems likely given indications such as those above), it could be a very, very good year for Wilky. Imagine if we got Sam Adams. Try running on a line composed of Dotson and Wynn on the ends, with Adams and Wilkinson in the middle. And oh yeah, Lavar Arrington, Jessie Armstead, and Jeremiah Trotter backing them up.

Wilkinson has never been a dominating player, but, he showed some flashes of that dominance last year where he was so disruptive over the last 10 weeks. He's been durable and steady and has always generated a fair amount of pressure up the middle. He's pretty weak against the run in short yardage situations though and that hurts us some. I like him and am glad to see he's showing some motivation. It'd be nice to have him have a great year like Lewis was able to generate out of Adams.

the trouble with Dan has always been that he used to take plays off. he doens't do that anymore. the other thing is, for the past 2 seasons he has come to camp in decent shape after having stuck to an offseason program and that has enabled him to avoid the nagging injuries that got him earlier in his career.

Dan has never suffered a serious injury and at 29 may be a late bloomer by NFL standards. He has always had the size, strength and speed to be a dominant player but not the mentality.

Maybe Lewis' arrival after a year of Camp Schottenheimer will be what Wilkinson needs to take it up another level. He does like to rush the quarterback and is a guy that could post 10 sacks from an inside spot if given the chance.

The key has always been to make Dan respect his role as a run stopper, something he also used to get bored doing.

I dunno... this report conflicts with an article written just a few days ago - which had a direct quote from Wilky - which mentioned Wilkinson is presently 20 pounds overweight. The article went on to mention how Wilkinson is always this weight in the offseason and that he hopes to have it off in time for training camp.

So I don't see how Wilkinson is in any better shape than he was in previous seasons. Someone's report is erroneous... and I'm inclined to believe the report with direct quotes.

I don't think that 20 lbs. is a great amount of excess weight given his size/strength.

More importantly, the WP article commented on him recovering from pneumonia. The inactivity from the deconditioning of pneumonia is worth 30-40 lbs alone on a frame his size. Recovery from pneumonia is hard enough for regular activities of daily living, let alone NFL work-outs.

I think that Wilky is on a mission. I'm sure that we're going to be happy with his continued improvements over the last two years.

Our D-line potential will be great, with or without Adams, particularly with our Pro-Bowl linebacking corp.

Even if BDW is the same as he was the last halst of last season we are in great shape.

The question may be if we sign Sammie Adams is he grossly out of shape or has been working out to be in football shape.

I personally dont want us to sign a overweight out of shape fat body who has been demanding a 8 million dollar pay day and now 4 million.

If he is 20 pounds over like BDW or close I'll be surprised.

It sure seems to conflict with this article from the Times. Seems Wilky is taking the team at its word that practice has been "voluntary".

"I guess we're running all the other guys into the ground. If the whole team had his attitude, we'd been in trouble, wouldn't we?" Spurrier said. "It's something new to me. I've never had a guy not wanting to practice with his teammates, but we'll handle it. If he's our best player he'll play, and if he's not someone else will play."

Kind of a different take from the guy who says he's working harder than ever before.

Originally posted by bulldog

the trouble with Dan has always been that he used to take plays off. he doens't do that anymore. the other thing is, for the past 2 seasons he has come to camp in decent shape after having stuck to an offseason program and that has enabled him to avoid the nagging injuries that got him earlier in his career.

Are we thinking of the same Dan Wilkinson? The Dan Wilkinson that I know showed up 20 pounds overweight to last year's training camp, only to hear of players jokes about him having "quality time with donuts." He showed up 330, and had to lose 25 that training camp for the regular season.

Okay, this report conflicts a report in the post today that talks about Wilkinson being the only player who didnt go to camp everyday and who takes plays off. I see him being a force in the middle this year with Lewis coaching him and somebody next to him to help out with the pressure.

Archived