Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs is still after bigtime WR

GSF

I listened to the press conference yesterday, and I've read all of the predraft articles here on Extreme, and I still feel the same way I did a few months ago when we started talking about all of this stuff. Gibbs wants a bigtime WR. I made a post a month ago or so saying that Edwards would be a Skin based on my mock draft. It's quite aparent now that Edwards won't slip to #9, but I still think there's a good chance he becomes a Skin.

First, let me say that I believe that what Gibbs, Snyder, and Vinny said yesterday is exactly true, there are a number of possible scenarios and possiblities the team is looking at. Gibbs has looked at a lot of different players, and doesn't have just 1 or 2 target guys he's interested in. Having said that, here are a few possible scenarios:

1. Trade with Miami and take Edwards at #2. I think if Gibbs could have any player in the draft, it would be Edwards. A possibility would be to send Hot Rod to Miami with the #9 and #25 for their #2. The con of this trade would be that we wouldn't be able to address as many needs in the draft, but Gibbs would get his #1 WR, which I believe he very much wants.

2. Trade with Tampa and take Mike Williams. Maybe send Rod, the #9, and one of our lower picks. I actually would like this move more b/c I think Williams is going to be extrodinary, and we could keep the #25 pick.

3. Select Williamson with the 9th pick. I don't think Gibbs would be as interested in Williamson as he is in Edwards or Williams, but that blazing speed is definitely appealling. Then we could either target a corner at #25, or possibly try to trade that pick for a player. Nate C. from Buffalo would be a huge upgrade over Smoot IMO.

4. Trade down a few slots, select a Williamson or Clayton, and add a pick. I personally love this option, but I think we might have a hard time finding someone to make this deal with.

5. Take Carlos Rodgers with the #9, and go after another receiver at #25. Maybe take a gamble on Heather Miller or Matt Jones, or possible look at a guy like Roddy White. This is the least likely scenario IMO, b/c I think gibbs will put a WR at a higher priority than a CB, and is more interested in a WR that can contribute right away than a project. I also think that Gibbs and Williams would prefer a vet CB over a rookie.

These are only a few of many possiblities, but they all center around a WR. If I had to bet right now, I'd guess that we'll make the trade with Miami and Edwards will be a Skin. If we don't take a WR somewhere in the first round, I'll be stunned.

Through all of this negative press and just plain bashing, I think Gibbs has a good plan, and he's given himself a lot of options. We will add a player in the draft that will contribute right away. With the improved oline, a confident Ramsey, a nice set of weapons for Ramsey to throw it to, and Portis toting the rock, this offense is going to be drastically inproved over last year. There are going to be a lot of haters eating crow. HTTR!!!!:cheers:

There is no way the skinz give up 2 firsts for Miami's 2nd overall for Braylon Edwards. And one begins to wonder that if Santana wants a contract similar to Coles then why pick up Edwards at #2 and deal with his contract demands. I would go with CB at #9 and possibly Matt Jones or Heath Miller at #25. This would make more sense.

I agree with a lot of what you speculate and have been busy advancing several of these scenarios myself. However...

If a WR is desired it is obviously Edwards and/or Williams at the top of the list. This will require an upward trade involving both 1st rounders...too costly in terms of the rest of the draft. I do not see us limiting ourself to one player on Saturday. Only if Gibbs has 'religion' about one of these guys will this happen.

I think the insurance reason for the #25 deal goes something like this:

We have no 2nd rounder this year. A CB like Marlin Jackson could go in the late 1st-early 2nd. Even Carlos Rodgers may last the late 1st.

So we hope Williams falls to #9 or the price to move up whatever slot is not too high in order to get him if still available.

If Williams is gone then we will draft Merriman (BPA). I expect Rolle & Pac-Man to be gone. This does not help in regards to specific needs but it is the smart play. We will not reach for the WR if not one of the top two...I just feel it. Likewise we will not reach for the CB.

At #25 if no trade for Clements is in the works we draft Rodgers. If he is not available Jackson likely will be. Some will say this is crazy and too much defense but I can see it happening.

If the skins go in the route of trading picks with TB, I doubt they would want ROD and our 9 for the 5th.

We would probably send them our 9th and 25th for their 5th and 36th, and maybe ROD. I think getting the 5th pick and Clements is far fetched. Even this deal would probably be a bit far fetched.

And as you'll are saying, if the deal goes through, we'd probably draft M.Williams with the #5 and a decent corner like Marlin Jackson or Webster with the early 2nd rounder we would recieve from TB.

I figure TB may take up on this deal since one of the 3 RB's will be available at #9 most likely.

I wouldnt mind this deal at all. I really see M.Williams being a star in the nfl.

IF we wanted to trade up, we would've offered the #9 plus next year's first, and nearly every team in the top 5 would've jumped on it. No way do we give up 4 picks to move up.

Gibbs has his eye on either Matt Jones or Heath Miller. My gut is telling me Matt Jones, but my gut is nearly always wrong on draft day...

Thanks for the replies. Let me reply in turn. First of all, I do completely trust Gibbs. I'm not second guessing him at all, just trying to guess what he's going to do. Second, My suggested trades with Miami and Tampa are just guesses as far as what we would trade. I don't know near enough about football to know what the terms would be, but I do think those are the two teams we could do a trade with. We've done trades with

Miami before, and Saban has said he wants to move down. Tampa has expressed some interest in Rod. I think that Gibbs would really love a shot at Williams or Edwards. Personally, I hope that Jay is right in that Williams is who Gibbs is after b/c he'd cost us a little less, and I just have a feeling that he's going to be a bigtime touchdown machine.

These were just some possiblities so don't flame me too bad if my trade terms were a little off. My main point is that Gibbs wants a bigtime WR, and we're probably going to have to trade up to get one.

I'd take scenario number 2.

There might be some hidden "gems" later in the draft but we already have our speedsters with Santana and David Patten but we lack that possession reciever we need that is reliable. Williams could be a monster in our offense if we have cooley, moss, patten messing with defenses. Plus we keep our #25 pick and draft a corner possibly or maybe even Merriman.

Also seems like the general consensus is that this draft is weak in talent, so why not go with a player that will have a higher success rate in the NFL?

Defensively, I believe coach Williams will find a potential replacement for Smoot and Pierce's roles that they held with us. Williams is obviously a scheme guy, it's not difficult for a player to excell in his defensive just as long as he plays with his athletic ability and smarts.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Mike Williams is the man of Mr. Gibbs desires

He told you this during his daily conversation with you?

It would be bad enough to have a bust with the #9 pick, but to move up, pay the extra salary and extra pick compensation and still have a bust is too risky.

Originally posted by thinker

Our #9 + our 3rd rounder this year + our 1st rounder next year + our 4th rounder next year is WAY too much to give up for Braylon and having to give him a $15 + million bonus. I can't see it.

On paper it definitely looks like a lot but how much is a Super Bowl worth? A guy like Edwards could spread the field and allow Portis more room to run. The offense pretty much sucked last year. We had a Super Bowl caliber defense. If Gibbs can get the offense to catch up this conversation about overpaying will be moot.

Originally posted by Tulane Skins Fan

the next person who says "we just have to trust gibbs" should not be allowed to post anymore.

Why, it's the smartest thing someone could do at this point.. Sure Gibbs is not perfect no one is, but in the world of football, he's a genious and knows a hell of a lot more then you.. So if we don't trust Gibbs who do we trust? People on this forum? While there are some really intelligent people here, most do not have the knowledge or capability to perform the task.

So if it's the last thing we should do, it is trust Gibbs..

Originally posted by js161

We just have to trust Gibbs.

I have to agree with JS161 on this one. We all cheered when Gibbs came back so I say we continue that support. Unless that means getting rid of Ramsey.

:point2sky

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

IF we wanted to trade up, we would've offered the #9 plus next year's first, and nearly every team in the top 5 would've jumped on it. No way do we give up 4 picks to move up.

Gibbs has his eye on either Matt Jones or Heath Miller. My gut is telling me Matt Jones, but my gut is nearly always wrong on draft day...

You know what Riggo, my gut feeling yesterday was Miller or Jones, but after thinking about it, I've changed my mind again. I think Gibbs sees Edwards and/or Williams as guys who improve the offense immediately and significantly. Jones is probably too inexperienced to contribute right off the bat. Miller is more likely IMO. He looked fantastic in his workout highlights that I saw, but can he block?

Originally posted by SkinsRback04

If Williams is gone then we will draft Merriman (BPA). I expect Rolle & Pac-Man to be gone. This does not help in regards to specific needs but it is the smart play. We will not reach for the WR if not one of the top two...I just feel it. Likewise we will not reach for the CB.

At #25 if no trade for Clements is in the works we draft Rodgers. If he is not available Jackson likely will be. Some will say this is crazy and too much defense but I can see it happening.

I like Williamson over Merriman if Williams is gone at 9.. Just my opinion really. But the idea of getting Merriman at 9 is growing on me.

Archived