Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs is still after bigtime WR

GSF

I think that the team has put itself in a position to possess a ton of flexibity given the outcome of the first round of the draft.

IMO, regardless of what occurs, the team is going to upgrade the CB position. Whether or not that takes place with either the 9th or the 25th pick is dependant upon how the first round plays itself out.

If Williams/Edwards are gone as the 9th selection comes up, I see the team taking a corner at that selection( Jones or Rolle) and selecting a wr (Roddy White, Clayton, etc.) at the 25 position.

If Williams or Edwards happens to be available with the 9th pick, then I wouldn't be too shocked to see the skins try to parlay the 25th selection into a veteran CB such as Nate Clements.

Saturday can't arrive soon enough.

I think Gibbs sees Edwards and/or Williams as guys who improve the offense immediately and significantly.

Given Joe Gibbs history, I doubt he believes that ANY rookie receiver can imediately improve the offense. But if he thinks one of the receivers is intelligent enough to play in his offense AND mature enough to earn his playing time, then he'll pull the trigger on that guy.

Sean Taylor is anything but a bust, but I have a feeling that maturity is going to play a bigger role in their selections this year.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

I like Williamson over Merriman if Williams is gone at 9.. Just my opinion really. But the idea of getting Merriman at 9 is growing on me.

I think about Merriman on defense the way some here are high on Matt Jones for offense. Not exactly in Love yet but mighty close. But I would put that aside for Williams if he was there.

Willamson looks darn good with that speed but I think #9 would be kinda high and I'm not sure if I wouldn't still rather have Clayton of the two. At any rate I see them both going no sooner than mid-late 1st round.

This stuff is just maddening. But anyway you look at it the Skins are going to get some players they really want, either inside or outside of the draft. I'm a believer. :point2sky

Where'd that Lohan vid go BTW? Gotta love that shakin'.

Originally posted by GURU

Given Joe Gibbs history, I doubt he believes that ANY rookie receiver can imediately improve the offense. But if he thinks one of the receivers is intelligent enough to play in his offense AND mature enough to earn his playing time, then he'll pull the trigger on that guy.

Sean Taylor is anything but a bust, but I have a feeling that maturity is going to play a bigger role in their selections this year.

You make some ggod points Guru, as you always do, but I have to disagree with you this time. My feeling is that Gibbs can't stand having to rely on a rookie. In this case though, Gibbs wouldn't have to rely on Williams or Edwards to be a fulltime starter right away. There are a handful of solid, vet Wrs already on the squad. No, I think Gibbs wants to get some big plays and TDs from Williams or Edwards, and that is something that both should be able to provide as rookies. As the season progresses and the rookie gets more cmfortable, he could play more snaps, but if it takes him longer to really learn the offense, that would be ok too b/c of the depth we have at WR.

Compare it to Roy Williams with Detroit last year. I'm pretty sure he wasn't the fulltime starter, but he was able to come in and make some huge plays b/c of his size and athletic ability. Williams/Edwards wouldn't have to know the entire playbook right off the bat. He'd just have to be able to go in and make some big grabs for TDs. Of course, I could be way off here, but that's my gut feeling.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Mike Williams is the target of my attention too, but Gibbs will use the #9 for Greg Williams. The whole we have CB is too big to ignore.

Why is that the case though? Look at the Patriots and what they did last year with their 2 starting corners out. Then look what the Eagles were able to do when Taylor and Vincent left.

Do people believe that Wilds couldn't be our version of Rand. G.? Or that Harris could be Wilson? We already have a solid starter in Springs. It's possible.

The defensive scheme dictates more than the players do themselves sometimes. We just happen to have a great one along with Philly and NE.

4. Trade down a few slots, select a Williamson or Clayton, and add a pick. I personally love this option, but I think we might have a hard time finding someone to make this deal with.

I don't think this will be that difficult. I still believe we trade with San Diego who mostly have Merrimen or Spears in their sites.

Curious to know why some people don't think Braylon Edwards isn't worth the #9 and #25 picks. He's a character guy, produced heavily in college, played with a broken finger, and is a stud athlete. He's not as fast as Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers or Roy Williams, but he has better hands than AJ, much much stronger than CR and can produce with injuries unlike RW.

Originally posted by boofMcboof

Curious to know why some people don't think Braylon Edwards isn't worth the #9 and #25 picks. He's a character guy, produced heavily in college, played with a broken finger, and is a stud athlete. He's not as fast as Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers or Roy Williams, but he has better hands than AJ, much much stronger than CR and can produce with injuries unlike RW.

Couldn't the Skins have traded this years #9 and next years first to move up to get Edwards? Why trade your 1st and 4th next year and a 3rd this year for the 25 this year so you can trade up to get Edwards?

This is my first quote on the extreme.....so dont expect much

First off in regards to who said they are sick of hearing "in gibbs we trust" you should be banned from posting messages on this board. Gibbs made the skins what they are today, four super bowls 3 rings in a little over a decade.....come on that speaks for itself I dont have to go into so many other details why you should trust in whatever gibbs does. Lets put it this way if gibbs wins only 3 games next season I would still have more trust in him for the following season then any other coach that the organization might want to bring in.

Next, I am so sick of nfl live analysts jumping on snyders back, when they made the trade to get 25 and speculation went out that they MIGHT get Campbell they were blasting that he (snyder) had not idea what he was doing and was destroying the organization.....Snyder has made many mistakes since he has come in, but you have to give him one thing, he has done everything possible for the skins to win.......since Gibbs has come in I can guarantee you one thing, he has been the mind behind any decisions made while all Snyder has done is sign the check......so to go on and blast Snyder is ludicrious, Gibbs made that trade and is the mind behind whatever this plan is...

Finnally.......I have grown up reading the Post, I love Tony and Wilbons columns.......but I am sick at how recently they are constantly using misleading quotes to destroy the pucblics perception on the skins....I looked for the past article but I couldnt find it, but it was in regards to Campbell and they said Gibbs said: "Luckily, Patrick Ramsey knows where he stands with us" which is misleading and makes the public imagine what he really means rather then what was in the Roanoke paper: "Luckily, Patrick Ramsey knows where he stands with us; he knows he's our starter heading into the season," Gibbs said. "He knows that we're counting on him to take us to the Promised Land. He knows that all we're trying to do is to put the best talent around him." Which of those quotes do you think sends the message to the public that Gibbs as Ramsey's back??

If all of what I just said sounds stupid, sorry, I am about 8 deep and about ready to head out to the bar........

Whatever happens Saturday, remember, IN GIBBS WE TRUST,

Hail to the best team in sports history!!!

Originally posted by GPREP HOG

This is my first quote on the extreme.....so dont expect much

First off in regards to who said they are sick of hearing "in gibbs we trust" you should be banned from posting messages on this board. Gibbs made the skins what they are today, four super bowls 3 rings in a little over a decade.....come on that speaks for itself I dont have to go into so many other details why you should trust in whatever gibbs does. Lets put it this way if gibbs wins only 3 games next season I would still have more trust in him for the following season then any other coach that the organization might want to bring in.

Next, I am so sick of nfl live analysts jumping on snyders back, when they made the trade to get 25 and speculation went out that they MIGHT get Campbell they were blasting that he (snyder) had not idea what he was doing and was destroying the organization.....Snyder has made many mistakes since he has come in, but you have to give him one thing, he has done everything possible for the skins to win.......since Gibbs has come in I can guarantee you one thing, he has been the mind behind any decisions made while all Snyder has done is sign the check......so to go on and blast Snyder is ludicrious, Gibbs made that trade and is the mind behind whatever this plan is...

Finnally.......I have grown up reading the Post, I love Tony and Wilbons columns.......but I am sick at how recently they are constantly using misleading quotes to destroy the pucblics perception on the skins....I looked for the past article but I couldnt find it, but it was in regards to Campbell and they said Gibbs said: "Luckily, Patrick Ramsey knows where he stands with us" which is misleading and makes the public imagine what he really means rather then what was in the Roanoke paper: "Luckily, Patrick Ramsey knows where he stands with us; he knows he's our starter heading into the season," Gibbs said. "He knows that we're counting on him to take us to the Promised Land. He knows that all we're trying to do is to put the best talent around him." Which of those quotes do you think sends the message to the public that Gibbs as Ramsey's back??

If all of what I just said sounds stupid, sorry, I am about 8 deep and about ready to head out to the bar........

Whatever happens Saturday, remember, IN GIBBS WE TRUST,

Hail to the best team in sports history!!!

nice job on your first post!

wish all the noobs could follow your example!

Originally posted by SkinsFTW

Couldn't the Skins have traded this years #9 and next years first to move up to get Edwards? Why trade your 1st and 4th next year and a 3rd this year for the 25 this year so you can trade up to get Edwards?

I guess the only way we could find out is if we could call the team front offices and find out specifically what they would trade for . . .

hmmm, I wonder if Gibbs and Co. did that? . . .

Archived