Extremeskins

WP: No Additions planned before draft

mhd24

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17073-2005Mar31.html

Redskins Plan No Additions Before Draft

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 1, 2005; Page D03

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said the team is not negotiating with free agents from outside the organization following defensive end Courtney Brown's decision to sign with Denver earlier this week, and has no plans to sign additional players before the April draft.

Gibbs, who is also president of the team, said the club continues to solicit offers for wide receiver Rod Gardner and confirmed that discussions have taken place with safety Sean Taylor, who fired his agent after signing with the club as a rookie last year and is seeking alterations to his contract.

Washington, which has not been as active in the free agent market this March as in recent years, is about $2 million under the salary cap. Gardner's likely departure for a draft pick would clear another $2 million. The Redskins could pursue free agents in June, however, when the next set of large-scale cuts occur.

Gibbs said the team has contacted no free agents recently and said he did not anticipate doing so in the near future.

Gibbs initially was hopeful that a deal for Gardner would be completed by now, expressing optimism about the degree of interest in the former first-round pick, but the market for him has been relatively stale, league sources said. While a handful of teams inquired about Gardner, the Redskins are seeking at least a third-round pick, and no one has been willing to offer as much to this point.

"I haven't seen any movement there," said one NFL personnel executive, who said the most likely time for a deal could be at the April 23-24 draft.

"Right now we can't find anything . . . we've not been able to work anything out with anybody," Gibbs said when asked about the prolonged nature of trade talks for Gardner. Gardner asked for a trade at the end of last season and was granted permission to speak to other teams. He has one year left on his contract and some teams would want him to sign an extension before acquiring his services.

Taylor, who had a strong rookie season on the field but a turbulent one off it, expressed displeasure with his six-year deal (the seventh year can be voided), worth a maximum of $40 million, shortly after signing it last summer, and swiftly rehired agent Drew Rosenhaus, but by rule had to wait at least a year before any renegotiation could take place. Gibbs said the Redskins have been willing to listen to Taylor's concerns.

"We've had some meetings and stuff with him," Gibbs said, "just trying to work through some things. We've had some meetings there. . . . But he's got a contract, and we're all set there for a bunch of years, so we're in good shape there."

Notes: Gibbs said the team has been pleased with the progress of its injured players, including star linebacker LaVar Arrington, whose knee had been a concern . . . . The Redskins will hold a workout today for 50 draft-eligible prospects who either attended high school or college in the area to evaluate them before the April draft. . . . The 2005 NFL schedule will be released on April 13.

What did he do as an individual? The DUI charge was bogus. No domestic issues, no drugs.

By all accounts he got a bad contract. He recently donated money to a school for educational purposes.

The media's bashing still has so many jaded...

I'm not against waiting til after the draft. We have to see what players drop to us so we can draft off of talent as opposed to strictly need. Plus I'm sure there will be some attractive options out on the market Post June 1st and I think the available cap space might be best used then

wow you're a homer. first off, you dont refuse to take a breathalizer and opt to be arrested unless you're scared about the results of a breathalizer test. He got away with it in court, that doesn't make him innocent. He (most likely) spat on TJ HOUSHAwhatever in the bengals game. Players don't just make accusations like that for the hell of it. He has done nothing redeeming character-wise the entire year he has been with the organization. Is he an amazing player? yes. Is he young and still subject to stupid decisions? yes. But that doesn't excuse him. You have to learn how to distinguish performance and character. I don't know him personally, and none of us know what he's really like, but everything he's done off the field and is available for public knowledge does not bode well for his "character."

Actually if you are worried about the breathalizer test, you may get a break by not taking it. As was shown in ST's case since he did not take it, the judge went by the sobriety tests. And based on the tests the judge concluded that there was no reason to ask for a breathalizer, and he was not penalized for not taking it ...As I understand it... But I agree that ST may have a few crossed neuro-wires.

Taylor, who had a strong rookie season on the field but a turbulent one off it, expressed displeasure with his six-year deal (the seventh year can be voided), worth a maximum of $40 million, shortly after signing it last summer, and swiftly rehired agent Drew Rosenhaus, but by rule had to wait at least a year before any renegotiation could take place. Gibbs said the Redskins have been willing to listen to Taylor's concerns.

"We've had some meetings and stuff with him," Gibbs said, "just trying to work through some things. We've had some meetings there. . . . But he's got a contract, and we're all set there for a bunch of years, so we're in good shape there."

Sounds like they're willing to listen, but in no hurry to change anything. If you tinker with a guy's contract mid-stream, you should get something (cap friendliness) in return.

Wow, I never knew that leaving a rookie symposium, being pranked by LaVar, switching agents and beating a bogus DUI is now considered "turbulent". It was "turbulent" due to the media coverage but not in reality. They call it "turbulent" because Sean decided to not talk to the media about it.

Looks like Sean will have to deal with the media stigma of having "turbulent" off the field issues just like Dan Snyder, no matter how many times he denies it, has the stigma of being a guy who scouts players and makes personnel decisions.

Also, did this article really need to be written? There is zero news in it. The Times has an exclusive interview with Dan Snyder and the Post has this garbage?

We are a long way from the glory days of Mark Maske or even David Aldridge.

Originally posted by Truant

What did he do as an individual? The DUI charge was bogus. No domestic issues, no drugs.

By all accounts he got a bad contract. He recently donated money to a school for educational purposes.

The media's bashing still has so many jaded...

Wanting to redo his contract after his rookie season doesn't impress me to much.. It's not the redskins fault he didn't get what he wanted out of his agent or whatever. 40mil over 6 years?, someone tell me where the problem is?

That's more then fair for a rookie contract.. Sure if he steadily improves in a few years we can cut him a new deal, but not now.

The simple fact he's asking for a new contact, knowing full well what kind of financial shape we're in doesn't show me that he's much of a team guy..

Maybe I'm thinking it's a bigger deal then it actually is and getting upset over nothing.

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

wow you're a homer. first off, you dont refuse to take a breathalizer and opt to be arrested unless you're scared about the results of a breathalizer test. He got away with it in court, that doesn't make him innocent. He (most likely) spat on TJ HOUSHAwhatever in the bengals game. Players don't just make accusations like that for the hell of it. He has done nothing redeeming character-wise the entire year he has been with the organization. Is he an amazing player? yes. Is he young and still subject to stupid decisions? yes. But that doesn't excuse him. You have to learn how to distinguish performance and character. I don't know him personally, and none of us know what he's really like, but everything he's done off the field and is available for public knowledge does not bode well for his "character."

actually, when you are a son of a law enforcement official in florida and you have been told your whole life to always refuse the breathalizer because its readings are not dead on and only a blood test is completely accurate, then you refuse the breathalizer. it's not his fault that he didn't know in virginia it was a law that he was violating.

as for the spitting, a lot of spit comes out of people's mouths, especially when they talk trash like taylor. that doesn't mean that he hocked a lugie on him. besides do you have any idea what takes place at the bottom of a pile or just on the line every play? much dirtier things.

you are giving him a bum rap based simply on things that you have read in the paper, and just like you said, "(you) don't know him personally," so stop judging the kid like you do.

on another note, play out your contract sean and talk renegotiations in 3 years.

Great...three more weeks with nothing whatsoever to talk about. More opinion polls, speculative nonsense, and "We should pick this guy" threads. I'm already jonesing for hard news. Truly these are the lean days...

On the plus side, no more Courtney Brown threads!

Archived