Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arkansas Democrat Gazette: Another hair-raising workout for ex-Hog

Another hair-raising workout for ex-Hog

BY BOB HOLT

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005

URL: http://www.nwanews.com/story/adg/110943

FAYETTEVILLE — Matt Jones had his long, blond locks flying around pretty fast in the Walker Pavilion on Wednesday.

It turned out to be a good hair day for the former Arkansas quarterback as he showed off his speed and quickness in a series of agility drills for NFL scouts and coaches during the Razorbacks’ Pro Day. "Matt did nothing but continue to have his stock soar," said Baltimore Ravens scout Jeremiah Washburn, a former Arkansas offensive lineman. "I couldn’t believe how well he changed directions in those shuttle drills. He looked great."

Jones, 6-6 and 242 pounds, said his times included 4.1 seconds for the 5-10-5 drill, in which a player moves 5 yards laterally one direction, then 10 the other way and then back 5. Other times included 6.65 seconds for a drill where a player runs around cones set up in an "L" shape and 11.1 seconds for another drill that covers 60 total yards with changes of direction. "Matt’s times were all well above average for any position," Washburn said. "Quarterback, wideout, any position."

Jones didn’t run the 40-yard dash Wednesday after running an electronic time of 4.4 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine on Feb. 28. He smiled when asked if he’ll ever run another 40. "Not unless I have a football in my hands and some pads on," Jones said.

After running the drills Wednesday, Jones also ran some pass routes as a wideout and from a slot position, working against Cincinnati Bengals tight ends coach John Hayes.

While Jones played quarterback at Arkansas, where he set school records for total offense (8,392 yards) and combined touchdowns rushing and passing (77), he could play wide receiver in the NFL.

Jones played wide receiver at the Senior Bowl on Jan. 29, catching a touchdown pass after an impressive week of practice, then worked out as a quarterback at the Combine. "He’s got the versatility to play a lot of positions in our league, with quarterback probably being one of them also," said Washington Redskins offensive assistant Jack Burns, a former Arkansas graduate assistant. "He’s got a great upside and can do a lot of things to help a football team."

Jones didn’t seem to have any problems getting off the line of scrimmage against Hayes and then caught passes thrown by Dowell Loggains, a former holder and backup quarterback at Arkansas. "It’s just catching the ball," Jones said. "It’s no big thing to go out there and catch the ball."

Hayes is a former Oklahoma assistant who recruited Jones when he was at Fort Smith Northside High School. "I’ve known him for a while," Jones said. "He’s a good guy. I get along well with him, so [Wednesday’s workout] was fun."

Jones has said he’ll play any position where an NFL team wants to use him, but he pointed out Wednesday that he wasn’t working at tight end when he lined up inside. "They’re talking about a slot guy... that moves around a lot and is going to catch the ball," Jones said. "They’re not talking about a tight end like everybody thinks they are [as a blocker]."

Jones was among several former Razorbacks who worked out for 22 NFL scouts and coaches Wednesday.

Jeb Huckeba, who played defensive end at Arkansas, had a good day, running the 40 in hand-held times of 4.6 and 4.58 seconds and moving well in the agility drills. "I thought Jeb helped himself," Washburn said. "He looked very explosive when he ran, and in the drills he was able to bend and change directions well, and that’s something I personally was looking for from him."

Huckeba went through some linebacker drills, dropping into coverage and catching the ball. "I think I had a productive day. I think some scouts noticed me," Huckeba said. "That’s what you want.

" It still boils down to how you play on the field, but [doing well in workouts] can help yourself and you can solidify what they see on tape, make them feel more comfortable about how they’re spending their money. "

Huckeba said he ran a" decent" time in the 40, but plans to run it again during Arkansas’ second Pro Day on March 30. "I feel like I can run better," he said. "We’ll see."

DeCori Birmingham, who played tailback and flanker for the Razorbacks and returned kickoffs and punts, ran the 40 in times of 4.55 and 4.58 after scratching on his first two attempts when a scout determined he got off to a rolling start. "The 40 really got me upset, because the first one, I know I rolled it, but the second one I don’t think I did," Birmingham said. "After a while, you just kind of get brain-dead [waiting to run again], but I still ran a pretty good time."

Birmingham participated at the Combine but said Wednesday’s workout was a plus overall. "It’s good to be out here so the scouts and coaches can get another look at you," he said. "This day for me is about exposure."

Other former Arkansas players who ran the 40 on Wednesday included wide receiver Steven Harris (4.54) and defensive linemen Arrion Dixon (5.1) and Elliott Harris (4.9). Steven Harris had the top vertical jump at 40 inches. Linebacker Marcus Whitmore went 35 inches,

Birming-1 1 ham 34/2, and Huckeba 33/2. Most of the former Razorbacks who worked out Wednesday will do so again March 30, though Jones may not feel the need to do so after his impressive showings at the Senior Bowl, Combine and in Wednesday’s drills. Jones said he feels he’s on the "downhill" side of preparing for the NFL Draft, which will be held April 23-24 in New York, after weeks of working to improve his stock.

When Jones meets with NFL teams now, he figures to be talking, not running. "I’m not doing any more drills," Jones said. "I’ve done all the drills, and I’m happy with my times. So I’m done doing that."

Washburn said it is always fun to watch Jones work out, especially with his long hair that seems to personify his surfer-dude mentality. "I hope Matt doesn’t change his look. I think it fits him really well and sums him up, just goes with his whole laid-back self," Washburn said. "It really just adds to what he does on the field.

" It’s a look you either embrace or you really don’t like, but I think most people like it. "

Especially when the guy with all that hair is as big and fast as Matt Jones.

Seems like this guy has the versatility that Gibbs again and again has shows he loves. I'm thinking he could become something very simlar to an H-back in terms of a multi-purpose versatile position; shifting from the slot to the backfield, etc., catching passes from all over the place and occasionally throwing the ball or carrying it too. This might be a long shot, but I can see Gibbs inventing a new position for Jones.

Edit: As a side note, With the talk of musgrave posssibly getting gibbs to use the gun, I'm imagining Jones and Ramsey side by side in the shotgun. Think of the possiblities! Jones can pass-block, run a route, or receive a direct snap and either throw a pass or run with it. Just some thoughts.

Originally posted by bubba9497

with their pick in the 3rd round the Washington Redskins select.....

:D

If we sign Brown at DE, draft a corner (either Rogers or Rolle) in the 1st round... and then draft Jones in the 3rd... I wouldn't complain at all.

OG depth and a blocking TE on day two.

Originally posted by dfbovey

If we sign Brown at DE, draft a corner (either Rogers or Rolle) in the 1st round... and then draft Jones in the 3rd... I wouldn't complain at all.

OG depth and a blocking TE on day two.

I think that's a very possible scenario. Sounds pretty good to me.

Yeah..this guy doesn't make it to the third round. To good an athlete to last until the third round.

I'd be tickled to death with Rogers in the middle of the first and Jones with the second. OG or C like Jason Brown or Chris Spencer and I'd call the draft a huge success.

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

Edit: As a side note, With the talk of musgrave posssibly getting gibbs to use the gun, I'm imagining Jones and Ramsey side by side in the shotgun. Think of the possiblities! Jones can pass-block, run a route, or receive a direct snap and either throw a pass or run with it. Just some thoughts.

Wow, that would be insane, 2 qb's behind center? I could easily see him lining up as the H-Back or RB, and then passing it, but receiving a direct snap, that would definitely open up our playbook.

Don't get carried away, fellas. Especially with the passing stuff. He did take part in QB drills at the combine, and by all accounts, looked terrible.

Right now, he's just a great athlete without a position. That makes him a project, any way you look at it. There are several receivers in this draft with good size and athleticism who actually PLAY wide receiver. Vincent Jackson comes to mind, immediately: same size, similar athletic ability, and he's a bonifide WR.

That's where I would play Jones, by the way. He's huge for a WR, but you want that kind of athleticism in the open field, not blocking defensive ends and linebacker on a regular basis. He's just the type of athlete that Joe Gibbs likes to put in the slot, too. Most people think of slot receivers as little guys who have trouble getting off the line unless they're on the move. Well, Gibbs put guys like Kellen Winslow, Sr. and Art Monk in the slot. While Winslow was technically a TE, he was split out and on the move probably more than he was lined up beside the tackle. And Monk, well, maybe Gibbs sees some Monk in Jones. Super smart, ex-QB who's bigger than most WRs in the game. From the slot, Monk was extremely versatile, sometimes almost like a 3rd tight end. I can see why the Skins coaches might be drawn to Jones.

However, you have to think about value, too. Jones is going to be a project, because--unlike Monk--he never played WR in college. The nuances of the position are still a mystery to him. I'm sure he's up to the task of learning, but it's still going to take some time. I still believe that drafting him before the 4th round is reaching, but if some team just loves him in the third, I can see him going their. If somebody wants him in the second, they can have him. That just means that a more polished, natural WR is going to be available later on. Granted, Jones' potential is very intreaguing, but he's no sure thing and there are still plenty of good prospects in this draft who can contribute from day one.

Originally posted by GURU

Don't get carried away, fellas. Especially with the passing stuff. He did take part in QB drills at the combine, and by all accounts, looked terrible.

Right now, he's just a great athlete without a position. That makes him a project, any way you look at it. There are several receivers in this draft with good size and athleticism who actually PLAY wide receiver. Vincent Jackson comes to mind, immediately: same size, similar athletic ability, and he's a bonifide WR.

That's where I would play Jones, by the way. He's huge for a WR, but you want that kind of athleticism in the open field, not blocking defensive ends and linebacker on a regular basis. He's just the type of athlete that Joe Gibbs likes to put in the slot, too. Most people think of slot receivers as little guys who have trouble getting off the line unless they're on the move. Well, Gibbs put guys like Kellen Winslow, Sr. and Art Monk in the slot. While Winslow was technically a TE, he was split out and on the move probably more than he was lined up beside the tackle. And Monk, well, maybe Gibbs sees some Monk in Jones. Super smart, ex-QB who's bigger than most WRs in the game. From the slot, Monk was extremely versatile, sometimes almost like a 3rd tight end. I can see why the Skins coaches might be drawn to Jones.

However, you have to think about value, too. Jones is going to be a project, because--unlike Monk--he never played WR in college. The nuances of the position are still a mystery to him. I'm sure he's up to the task of learning, but it's still going to take some time. I still believe that drafting him before the 4th round is reaching, but if some team just loves him in the third, I can see him going their. If somebody wants him in the second, they can have him. That just means that a more polished, natural WR is going to be available later on. Granted, Jones' potential is very intreaguing, but he's no sure thing and there are still plenty of good prospects in this draft who can contribute from day one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7048663/

Matt Jones, quarterback, Arkansas: On the day Hampton receiver Jerome Mathis set a combine record with a 4.32 40, Jones set a quarterback combine record with a 4.4. At 6-5, 230 pounds, Jones is going to get a lot of consideration by an adoring NFL.

The longhaired blond was a basketball player for the Razorbacks. He is raw, but is a savvy gamer. There are many teams that are intrigued

Vincent Jackson, wide receiver, Northern Colorado: He may have helped himself more than any player in the draft. Jackson dominated small-school competition. Still, there were questions.

Not anymore. Jackson shocked scouts by running a 4.44 40 and having a 39-inch vertical jump. Couple those measures with these numbers: 6-5, 240 pounds. Wow. Jackson will enter the NFL as the biggest receiver in the league. With that type of speed. He could sneak from being a mid-rounder to a top 25 pick.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Wow, that would be insane, 2 qb's behind center? I could easily see him lining up as the H-Back or RB, and then passing it, but receiving a direct snap, that would definitely open up our playbook.

I was just going to post this.

With the imminent release of Rod Gardner, we need to find our receiver that can throw the WR pass.

And no, Portis' shotput throws don't count! :laugh:

Archived