Extremeskins

How do you feel about Smoot?

jnova

Should College Athlets get paid  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should College Athlets get paid

• Yes
    • No

I didnt vote on this b/c my feelings on Smoot lie somewhere in between both options....

On one hand I loved Smoot for his all out hustle and heart he displayed and think that we will miss that part of his game...But on the other hand I dont think he will be missed for his actual on-field production, b/c just like Bailey before him he is a solid cover man but he isnt a game changer/playmaker...

Originally posted by jnova

Its really bad to see that so many skins fans are upset with Smoot. I mean come on he did play really well for us last year, and now he moves on bc we never really gave him a choice. Think we did the same thing with Bailey, but hopefully this Wilds kid does what everyone is going on and on about that he can do because I really dont wanna see Walt Harris as our #2 I dont think that is eve coming close to filling the void.

Umm...:doh:

Originally posted by Snyder Dan

actually, my problem with his game is that he gives too much of a cushion

I agree. I loved his heart, but he gave way too much respect to the WRs he covered. With his ability, he should have been mugging his man evry down before the 5 yard mark, but he was always 5 to 10 yards from the LOS on every play. He drove me nuts with that. I pray that we get a CB that likes to bump his receivers at the LOS.

I wish FS all the best. I think he made a bad choice, however.

It's no contest: Vikings truly Team Turmoil

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

In the spring of 2000, when I was about to leave the relative serenity of the Green Bay Packers' beat, my predecessor in Minnesota, Don Banks, looked me in the eye and told me that no matter how much I thought I was ready to cover the Vikings, I wasn't.

"You'll never be prepared for this," Banks said. "I wasn't ready. Nobody is."

I thought Banks was joking. It didn't take me long to realize he was serious. There was no turning back.

I was stuck on the Vikings' runaway news train. Until I jumped off last summer, Banks' words kept ringing in my head. Now, like Banks, I can watch the most misguided franchise in sports spin further out of control. It's no surprise.

In Minnesota, it's never about on-the-field happenings. Football is the sideshow.

"We put the 'fun' in dysfunctional," one prominent Minnesota player said. "It's always something with us."

Last week, standout cornerback Fred Smoot was introduced at a news conference, but no one cared about the $34 million acquisition. All anyone wanted to talk about was the latest bizarre episode, this one about coach Mike Tice.

News broke that Tice is being investigated by the NFL for allegedly running an in-house Super Bowl ticket-scalping ring involving his players. According to the report, Tice has made money for years running the scheme. He denies it.

This is the same team that is involved in a messy ownership change, from mercurial Texas car salesman Red McCombs to Arizona and Colorado businessman Reggie Fowler, who is trying to become the first African-American owner of an NFL team.

But it won't be easy. Shortly after Fowler made a purchase agreement with McCombs, reports surfaced about inaccuracies in Fowler's résumé, dating to his Little League baseball days. There also are concerns about his financial standing. According to reports, Fowler has been sued more than three dozen times.

Oh, and the Vikings just made a blockbuster trade by dealing superstar receiver Randy Moss to Oakland. The trade ended seven wild seasons in which Moss made about as many off-field headlines as touchdown receptions.

Moss' greatest hits include taking a traffic officer for an unrequested ride on the hood of his car, squirting an official with a water bottle and mocking the league for fining him for a vulgar gesture by warning a more offensive gesture was on the way.

It's always something in Minnesota.

The stories have ranged from the tragic to bizarre.

In 2001, Pro Bowl tackle Korey Stringer died of heatstroke on the practice field. The death of the affable 27-year-old Stringer forced the NFL to re-evaluate the practice habits of all teams.

The sad stories out of Minnesota didn't end with Stringer's death. The next training camp, tragedy struck again when the 24-year-old wife of offensive lineman Lewis Kelly died because of complications during her pregnancy.

The next winter, there was a police investigation of sexual assault during a weekend snowmobiling trip that benefited the team's children's fund. No charges were levied against anyone in the organization, but the team quietly settled a civil lawsuit.

In 2003, a police officer was arrested after he tried to steal the identity of several players while working team security.

And don't forget the tale of first-round pick Dimitrius Underwood, who left in a taxi at lunch during his first day of camp in 1999. He never played a down for the team.

Recently, Miami has made a strong run at becoming the league's most unstable team. It was a valiant effort. But the Dolphins couldn't pull it off.

There is no bigger NFL crazy house than Minnesota.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2759864,00.html

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

On the other hand I would never buy a players jersey unless

he played his whole career for the skins, sorry just sentimental about that.

I would like to buy a Chris Hanburger Jersey though or Pat fisher.

I'm glad he left. Smut was so over rated. He couldn't tackle well, he's cover skills where barely above average. He thought too highly of himself. Who do you all think was better Smoot or Springs? Springs was hands down, but Smut though he deserve more money than someone who was so much better. I'm going to say this one more time: I can name you about 7 CB's in the Draft that are better than Fred Smut. If this was Champ I could understand the argument. I hate Champ now but he was so talented. I don't hate Smut like I hate Champ, because Smut did play with a lot of heart and I loved that about him. But we can live with out that dude. Big Time!!! Believe me. He's like Martin Mayhew. Come on now, where talking about Smoot. A number 2 corner back not a number 1. Damn

Originally posted by Tarhog

Whats 'how I feel' got to do with it? He claimed to want to be a Redskin for life, and then walked away for bigger money. I'm not going to condemn him as 'evil' for it, but he clearly put money over loyalty, team, and other considerations. The team doesn't have unlimited pockets. They couldn't give Bailey 3 or 4 player's combined salaries, and they damn sure couldn't justify doing it for Smoot who has proven he's an above-average corner, not a great one. He would've been paid nicely had he stayed, and he made the call.

Why don't you ask him why he left. I had nothing to do with it, and honestly, neither did the Redskins.

...and there ya have it. Good enough reply for me.

I will say that I wish he was still here, but when you prove you're not a "True Redskin," I suppose you prove your not a "True Viking" in the process. Good luck, Minny, holding onto a guy that already jumped the fence for a dollar.

(I'm not going to trash him the way I did Bailey, but he's NOT all THAT good.)

Tough guy. Tough talker, who could back it up. Not real sure of why he didn;t resign with us, but that was his decision. I think that we gave him a fair offer, and he took that little bit of extra cash to go to Minny. I wish him well, unless he's playing the Redskins ;)

Archived