Extremeskins

How do you feel about Smoot?

jnova

Should College Athlets get paid  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should College Athlets get paid

• Yes
    • No

Its really bad to see that so many skins fans are upset with Smoot. I mean come on he did play really well for us last year, and now he moves on bc we never really gave him a choice. Think we did the same thing with Bailey, but hopefully this Wilds kid does what everyone is going on and on about that he can do because I really dont wanna see Walt Harris as our #2 I dont think that is eve coming close to filling the void.

Whats 'how I feel' got to do with it? He claimed to want to be a Redskin for life, and then walked away for bigger money. I'm not going to condemn him as 'evil' for it, but he clearly put money over loyalty, team, and other considerations. The team doesn't have unlimited pockets. They couldn't give Bailey 3 or 4 player's combined salaries, and they damn sure couldn't justify doing it for Smoot who has proven he's an above-average corner, not a great one. He would've been paid nicely had he stayed, and he made the call.

Why don't you ask him why he left. I had nothing to do with it, and honestly, neither did the Redskins.

Originally posted by JonBlaze

i'm not happy he's gone, but i don't wish he was still here. He's gone and that's that. Here's hoping Santana Moss smokes him if they ever meet down the road.

my feelings exactly. At least he did leave with some respectful comments. - For someone who talks as much trash as him, that means a lot.;)

He's not a Redskin anymore, let's move on.

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

I wish he was still here I love that guy. I thought he was a core Redskin and he is gonna look so weird in a Vikes jersey. But, oh well, I believe that Greg Williams will either get someone to step up in his place, or we will draft Pac Man or Rolle. I do not believe that our defense will lose a step without him. But, it would havebeen nice to use our draft pick on another need if we kept Smoot. Now I think we are going to use a pick or 2 on a CB.

I'm upset with Smoot, but it looks as though he lost confidence in the Skins. He was a good player, but not to the extent he wanted to be paid. He ended up taking only 300,000 more in signing bonus money, but in the end it turned out that the Vikings front loaded the contract and we were smart in not screwing up the chemistry in the team and sticking to our guns.

It didn't heart that Minnesota had Culpeper who spoke to him during his corting.

I like Smoot as a player and leader, but he has put himself in position to get injured more often because he will be playing all of his games at home on turf. Not good for his shoulder.

Good luck to him, I definitly can't say the same about Coles or last year Champ. I do not feel Pierce will do as well in NY.

I wish he never left and the stuff he said I'm sure was not negative. He did love it here in DC and I'm sure he is excited about being a contender now. I just hope we kick some ass next year and the Vikes Blow. Boy, that would suck if they stunk and we made the playoffs!!:laugh:

On another note, I'm sure he wanted to please both fan bases. He didn't want to stir the pot.

In my mind Smoot wanted to see the Redskins give him a unique contract, akin to the high dollars that Arrington and Samuels resigned for.

Otherwise, I was always of the opinion he would bolt for another offer, even if the Redskins offer was close.

What it came down to I think in the end is the fact Smoot saw the Skins throw crazy money at a number of other players and figured that he was next in line.

Except he came up for free agency the wrong offseason.

Before Gibbs, the Skins would probably have given him a $14 million bonus to keep him and he would have been happy talking about being a career Redskin.

I go back time and again to Fred's comment that he kept in contact with Bailey and Sanders and got advice from them on how to handle free agency.

That was probably the death knell for Washington.

In his chat today, Mel Kiper said that you can't pay a CB shutdown corner money because the rules of the game make it impossible for any cornerbacks today to be a shutdown corner. That's pretty much the way I feel about losing Smoot. Corners are too expensive now compared to their worth to a team. For the money we paid Smoot, we could improve three other positions. It sucks losing Smoot because he's a great guy, but it's a smart move overall.

I don't have any beef with Smoot as an individual because he left for a big payday. On the other hand a while back I had a revelation of sorts that it seems in this age of the salary cap that if players are really interested in winning that they will have to sacrifice $$. What I mean is that if you are a good player who wishes to be on a good team that can win consistantly then you would have to be willing to accept less in compensation in order for your team to better be able to add other good players and elevate the over all talent level of your team. Simply put the more money that you demand as a player the less likely it will be that you will get to wear a superbowl ring. You will be good. Your team will suck. That said if Smoot was really a team player and really interested in winning then he would have accepted a little less money to play here. He chose money over winning so yes I an a little dissapointed but that about it.

I seriously dont think he is overrated i think that he is underrated more so then ever but i will say that he does gamble alot on corner he is a pretty good hitter and was a leader on the Defence. he was a major fan favorite and i will miss him alot i hope he has a great career, on the other hand if we play him i want moss to blown him rite out of his coarse.

Originally posted by jnova

I seriously dont think he is overrated i think that he is underrated more so then ever but i will say that he does gamble alot on corner he is a pretty good hitter and was a leader on the Defence. he was a major fan favorite and i will miss him alot i hope he has a great career, on the other hand if we play him i want moss to blown him rite out of his coarse.

actually, my problem with his game is that he gives too much of a cushion

Archived