Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MERGED X4 - Sellers Re-Signs

clown

Has anyone heard any info on this guy??...he's a free agent.

i hope he returns.

He was a standout on ST aside from a couple of personal fouls.

Not to mention his goal line blocking at the end of the season was key.

So....any info??

Sellers Re-Signs

Sellers Re-signs

Warpath - Scout.com

March 7, 2005 at 5:07pm ET

Mike Sellers earned a reputation for his hits -- both good and bad. He won praise for his sticks on special teams, earning the unit's Big Stick for having the best hit in the most games. But he also had several costly personal fouls.

Those big hits outweighed the negative ones. And today the Redskins re-signed their special teams standout.

Sellers finished the season second in tackles with 29 in 2004. He only caught one pass as a tight end in two starts. His size (6-3, 250 pounds) and speed make him a solid target. But he committed too many gaffes to be a consistent contributor on offense.

However, he's become a valuable member of special teams, a role he'll fill in 2005.

Sellers doesn't appear overly bright. Cooley beat him out for the H-Back spot rather easily for a rookie.

But he contributes on special teams as the blurb indicates.

Hopefully, he will cut down on his mental mistakes in hitting players after the whistle.

That got Regan Upshaw a ticket out of town.

Originally posted by bulldog

Sellers doesn't appear overly bright. Cooley beat him out for the H-Back spot rather easily for a rookie.

I think that's more a testament to Cooley's intelligence rather than a detriment to Sellers. Besides, a young dude like Cooley is easier to mold.

I'm sorry but this thread is a joke. Some people on here will dog anyone who isn't a starter/big name guy. Or just dog anyone. And even less seem to pay attention when Gibbs talks.

After Sellers worst penalty last year, Gibbs was asked if he'd be cut, and Gibbs said not a chance. He loves Sellers. Thinks he's a beast on ST and the guy can block as well.

Keep in mind that most of the NFL doesn't use H-Backs. Sellers has been a fullback throughout his career. He isn't used to lining up on the line as much as he did this past year.

On top of all this, a team needs to be filled with depth. So, yes from time to time you will be hearing of us signing Long Snappers, 41-year old linemen, and even backup H-Backs who have massive amounts of energy on ST. This won't hurt our cap as bad as you might think, and most of all, it's neccessary.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

I think that's more a testament to Cooley's intelligence rather than a detriment to Sellers. Besides, a young dude like Cooley is easier to mold.

Not to mention, before he was in the NFL, Cooley was a college H-back. But, if I'm remembering correctly, before he was in the NFL, Sellers was a Boxer. One of those definitely translates into "NFL H-Back" easier than the other.

I watched Sellers here in '99 and '00. I saw what happened to him in Cleveland in 2001. I watched him last year :)

So, I am not drawing conclusions based on seeing a highlight film of the guy's biggest gaffes.............

I stand by my belief that based on what we have seen that Sellers is a guy that is physically tough but has problems mastering the mental aspects of what is a complex offensive system.

yes, special teams is the spot for him right now.

as long as he cuts down on the penalties.

see him commit a couple of flagrant fouls in the opener next season and he will find himself on the bench.

that's just life in the NFL.

Archived