Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just hope we don't trade up

skinsfan12

I see a possibility of losing Coles, then desperation for a #1 WR prompting us to move up to guarantee a shot at Edwards or Williams. At the #9, there's a chance of one of them being available...no guarantee. If we lose Coles, other teams will see that we intend to draft a WR at #9. If so, there might be some maneuvers from other teams to make it seem like they intend to make it difficult for Edwards or Williams to be available for us. Our FO will have a tough choice if they've locked on to drafting a WR...to move up for a better shot, or stand pat and hope for the best. If we trade up, what would we use in the trade (next year's draft position, 3rd from this year, ...)? What to do...

Moss, Jacobs, Patten, Thrash, McCants is a solid if unspectacular group of WRs...comparable to the group on a team which has now won 3 of the last 4 Superbowls.

I, and I hope the Skins FO also, see no GLARING need at the WR position with this group intact. Also, the frugality of the Skins FO during this first week of free agency would lead me to believe that they would lean the opposite way (trading DOWN) come draft time.

I read an article (can't recall the publiction) about 2 months ago outlining the fact that WR's, per capita, were the largest position "busts" in the first round of the NFL draft. I believe the attitude Joe Gibbs has instilled in Redskins Park will filter into choosing the "Best Player Available" while hopefully filling a need.

Personally, I like the idea of trading down and going after a road grading OL such as Elton Brown, and picking up a later round pick, or two, which helps with team depth at minimal salaries.

Gibbs and the FO will make the right decision. I am guessing that decision will be to stay put or trade down, however, that is my personal feelings. The draft for all the teams is half risk. Even Gibbs has been wrong, and he has said so many times in the past. Just relax and keep evaluating the talent in the draft. As Blade said, trust in Joe.

I think it makes more sense to trade down also. The draft IMO is a complete crapshoot. Always has been.

Nobody always gets it right. Nobody.

Besides, a lower signing bonus to the late 1st rounders will go easier on the cap. Usually less ego too.

And like L&L said, 1st rd WR's seem to be big time gambles more often than not. Even if they turn out to be good, rarely does it happen in their first year.

I say trade down to a later 1st and add a 2nd. Draft the best available lineman, offensive or defensive, on the board with the first pick.

Use the 2nd rd pick on the next best available lineman, offensive or defensive. For all the talk about "Todays Football" the game is still won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

Use the 3rd rd for WR, MLB, or TE. Whichever one rates higher on their board.

Best available for the rest of the draft, and for signing undrafted free agents.

I'm sure Joe and the guys have been waiting with baited breath to see what my thoughts were on the matter.:D

Stay put or trade down...those are the only [cap] responsible actions. However, we all know how tempting the trade up scenario can be the closer we get to the draft. Last year, even though we had #5, there were some pre draft rumors of trading up to get Robert Gallery. We'll see:

big splash trade up = Danny's in charge....

stay put or trade down = Joe's driving the boat

If we are going to draft a WR we won't move up to draft Williams or Edwards when Williamson and Clayton will also be successful in this league and will be available come 9. We may even trade down to get a receiver and a 2nd round pick.

In the meantime, I still stick by my belief that we should draft a DE. However what we should draft and who we actually are going to draft or probably not in agreement.

If we don't sign Smoot, we should look into signing Plexico. Seriously. Whatever receiver we take at nine is going to command a bigger signing bonus than Plexico, who it seems won't even get a bonus in the seven million range.

Plexico, Moss, Patten, Jacobs, Thrash. Wow.

Then we draft a corner at nine.

Not that this will ever happen, of course.

We are in a good position now that the Coles/Moss trade went through. If Minnesota goes after Williams then Johnson will fall to u. New Orleans or some other team will be drooling over this guy. We should be able to move down for at least another second. I am hoping we can trade with New Orleans to get our 2nd rounder back.

We still don't know yet. It depends on what we pick up with Coles/Gardner/Smoot. If Smoot is gone, we will need a CB in the first round. If he stays, I am inclined to trade down and get DE/TE/OL help.

We can get a #1 receiver in 2006 if the ones we have don't pan out.

Originally posted by Hooper

If we don't sign Smoot, we should look into signing Plexico. Seriously. Whatever receiver we take at nine is going to command a bigger signing bonus than Plexico, who it seems won't even get a bonus in the seven million range.

Plexico, Moss, Patten, Jacobs, Thrash. Wow.

Then we draft a corner at nine.

Not that this will ever happen, of course.

Why would anyone want Plaxico??? He's just a more expensive version of 50/50 Gardner.

Besides, if Gibbs has done anything this offseason, it's shown us that we're no longer throwing money at the big name/big ticket free agents. :2cents:

Archived