Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Redskins close to Signing Rolle

vegeta613

Originally posted by Rasta

And I bet you were arguing last year that Springs was injured and old as well. Look how that turned out. He was our #1 CB this year and is only a year older than Rolle.

And the Sporting News ranked Rolle at a 7.7 and Smoot as a 7.0.

Springs wasn't trying to stiff us out of this kind of money. I'd pay for Rolle what we gave to Springs.

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

Springs wasn't trying to stiff us out of this kind of money. I'd pay for Rolle what we gave to Springs.

What world are you living in? Everyone in the NFL said we paid way too much for Springs. Have you looked at the market for CB's? Every year the bonuses go up. That is the market. Muhammad just got 10-12.5 to sign in Chicago. That was more than any other 32 year old WR. The market drives these things. Baxter turned down 12M to sign in Baltimore. You are living in the past.

You said "Satisfied". How can I be satisfied if I can't see it?

It's called trust. If you don't believe it when two people posted the EXACT same thing within a minute of each other then that's tough. The rankings are there.

Originally posted by Rasta

What world are you living in? Everyone in the NFL said we paid way too much for Springs. Have you looked at the market for CB's? Every year the bonuses go up. That is the market. Muhammad just got 10-12.5 to sign in Chicago. That was more than any other 32 year old WR. The market drives these things. Baxter turned down 12M to sign in Baltimore. You are living in the past.

And the Bears were stupid to give him that kind of signing bonus.

A well run team is tight-fisted with the dollars when giving a contract to a player who's going to spend the effective majority of the contract in his thirtiies.

How 'bout addressing the fact that Smoot is three years younger?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2001713

INDIANAPOLIS -- Despite denials from team officials, the Washington Redskins are pursuing a deal with cornerback Samari Rolle, one of six veterans released last week by the Tennessee Titans in a bloody salary cap purge, and a player who is among the most coveted free agents in the league.

Samari Rolle

Cornerback

Tennessee Titans

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

28 28 0 0 0 1

Several league sources here said that Rolle, a seven-year veteran with superb cover skills, could command a signing bonus of as much as $15 million given the spending habits of Washington owner Daniel Snyder and the team's need for a cornerback.

One potential hangup to a contract agreement: Rolle was arrested two weeks ago on domestic assault charges and Redskins coach Joe Gibbs will have to be convinced that the veteran cornerback is not a character risk.

Rolle, 28, would replace Fred Smoot in the Redskins secondary. Smoot, one of the best young cornerbacks in the league, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday. He has already rejected a contract extension proposal that included a $10 million signing bonus and seems intent on testing the free agent market.

Signing with the Redskins would reunite Rolle with Gregg Williams, who was defensive coordinator in Tennessee during the cornerback's first three NFL seasons, and who holds the same position in Washington. Also, former Titans teammate Steve Jackson is coaching the Redskins safeties.

It's believed that Williams, who turned in one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL last season, is lobbying hard for the Redskins to acquire Rolle.

Despite a left knee injury that limited him to a career-low 11 appearances in 2004, Rolle is still viewed around the NFL as an aggressive "shut down" corner with several good years remaining. Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said he believes that Rolle is the top cornerback available as a free agent.

The former Florida State star, a second-round pick in the 1998 draft, has appeared in 100 games and started in 85 of them. He has 299 tackles, 23 interceptions, 66 passes defensed and 8½ sacks.

Seems Passthejelly has gotten wind of this

ridiculous.

12 mil to smooty, take it or leave it...I love smooty, and want him back. this is a more than fair offer.

however, if he won't then i could see a 13 million sb to rolle, but i don't like it...injury history, character issue, another outsider geting shown the money while a REDSKIN who has given heart and leadership on the field is shown the door....very bad for team chemistry....

our skins need to save money to spend on our lines.

and if Williams is as good a D coordinator as we all think he is, the he doesn't need rolle now does he? he'll still have taylor and springs and (hopefully) a healthy lavar coming back....lets get younger...

oh, and btw, go get a GM gotdamit!!!!

:helmet: :point2sky :helmet:

He's also three years older.

...and he's not better.

YES HE IS. Samari is better. But I do agree with you that it is economically logical to sign Smoot over Rolle if the circumstances are right especailly since Rolle is basically an Older and more injured Smoot. But the circumstances are not right. Plus if you honestly believe we are going to give Rolle a $15 million bonus then.....

PS.- Front office, PLEASEEE don't make my statement above look stupid by doing the stupid thing:doh:

Originally posted by Warhead36

All we do is keep bringing in Mercenaries....

Why sign Rolle to $15 Mil if we can sign Smoot who is younger(and IMO better)than Rolle for $12 Mil or so?

The WP says around $12 million, which is less then what Smoot wants. By the time Smoot's asking price goes down, if it goes down, or if we wait too long, all avaliabe options, including Rolle could be gone. We could be stuck overpaying Smoot.

And for the last time Rolle IS better then Smoot. Has Smoot ever been all-pro? Has Smoot ever had a sack in his entire career? Rolle has, under williams.

And just like Springs needed a change of scenery to get back to his old ways, Rolle will do the same under his former coach. We won't miss Smoot. I love Fred as much as the next guy, but he has us between a rock and a hard place because he thinks he's better then he really is.

Originally posted by skns4life

well i sure hope its around 10 million...i was mad at Smoot for wanting $14 million and not accepting the FO's proposal...but after reading this and assuming that its true...i wont be mad at smoot...this is exactly what pisses me off...we're willing to let our own players go somewhere just to overpay for some other teams star...Smoot is better than Rolle...and damn we're going to be giving Rolle a higher SB than Portis...i know they play completely different positions but Rolle isnt the same type of icon that Portis is

I can almost gurantee that Rolle isn't going to get more than Smoot was asking for.

Plus Rolle is an all around better CB than Smoot.

I'm going to miss Smoot he was one of my favorites. But I think he out priced himself just a bit. Plus just as someone mentioned. Our secondary just got better.

people are seriously over-valuing smoot. I can't remember how many times he whiffed on a sack, dropped potential interceptions, was called for defensive holding, etc. He had a good year, and he was "tough," it was also his contract year which would explain his "commitment" to playing hard. He was a good guy and he talked the talk, but he didn't always back it up. We offered him a fair contract that would have paid him what he was worth, he "true die-hard redskine self" wanted a LOT more - and don't anyone say that he's better than rolle, because he's not. Greg williams has worked with both corners now, and he knows who will be better in his scheme, I think by the way things are going, it's extremely OBVIOUS who Williams likes more, and I will happily defer all defensive decisions to williams alone.

I don't know that we need superstar corners. Our division features no two-receiver threats. Do we really need a a player as quality as Rolle to cover the likes of Todd Pinkston, Ike Hilliard, and Quincy Morgan? My answer is no and that huge $10-$15 million dollar bonus could be spent elsewhere, either spread out over a couple of good players or to a big time DE or WR. I don't like the direction we're going in at this point. Not in the least.

What the pro-Rolle people aren't getting here is that we're not getting the Rolle of two years ago or three years ago.

We'd be paying top dollar for the current Rolle and the current Rolle is almost thirty. It's all well and good that he was an All Pro some years ago but we don't have a time machine. We're getting him (and losing Smoot) as they are today.

Archived