Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Redskins close to Signing Rolle

vegeta613

Samari Rolle is 10 X the corner that Smoot is

I seem to remember a end of half play like 2 years ago in which Samari went the distance (and on a side note 8 of the offensive redskins were knocked down on that play)

None the less, I love the fact that the only thing holding this up is Character issues.....Joe Gibbs ball is back

Its just funny to hear everyone second guess every move....you think Greg Williams did not pull the trigger on this one?

Are you telling me Greg Williams doesn't know defense now?

Rolle is a better all round player than Smoot. No question about it. I still would have preferred we keep Smoot though, for continuity sake. But I'll trust Williams' judgement, his moves certainly worked out to our advantage last year and he knows Rolle.

Originally posted by laxpck

Samari Rolle is 10 X the corner that Smoot is

Rolle isn't half the cornerback Smoot is and he's three years older!!!

If what was reported in the Post this morning is true, that Rolle wants a $12 million signing bonus we would be crazy to give it to him.

By comparison, Smoot's $14 million signing bonus is reasonable.

Originally posted by Da_Truth

I DONT CARE. I hope it is more than what Smoot asked for. If Smoot really wanted to be here he would had taken the deal that was offered. 10 million SB. If he REALLY wanted to be here, money would be no issue. 10 million SB is no chump change. I really liked Smoot and wanted him to retire as a Redskin but hes beginning to act like Champ now. Smoot still cant tackle worth a damn and missed some key interceptions yet he feels 10 million isnt enough. Rolle is a proven player under G.W.

Plus we got Sean Taylor :)

I agree 100%.

Does anyone really believe Smoot was going to sign for a 10M signing bonus? I have a bridge to sell you guys.

Springs got 10M last year to sign. The market goes up every year. Rolle is far and away a better corner. No question about that. The only real question is injuries which were an issue with Smoot.

I love Fred Smoot but he and his agents are playing hardball. Waiting the Skins out could cost him his shot at being here. Do you honestly think they are just lowballing Smoot? I bet he has received a fair offer but he believes he is worth more. The FO is doing what it should, making sure they have someone in place in case Smoot gets a better offer. They have been negotiating for 6 months. I think they might know what he is asking for.

If I have a choice between Smoot who is asking for 14M SB and Rolle who is asking for a 15M SB I take Rolle every time. He is the better player. It's simple economics.

And Gibbs is one of the most loyal guys out there but if it doesn't make financial sense then why do it?

Originally posted by Rasta

If I have a choice between Smoot who is asking for 14M SB and Rolle who is asking for a 15M SB I take Rolle every time. He is the better player. It's simple economics.

He's also three years older.

...and he's not better.

We'd not just be paying for Fred Smoot now but for Fred Smoot in the years to come. Rolle, who, I'll repeat, isn't better now, will be much worse in the near future because he's older than Smoot.

The simple economics is to resign Smoot.

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

He's also three years older.

...and he's not better.

We'd not just be paying for Fred Smoot now but for Fred Smoot in the years to comer. Rolle, who, I'll repeat, isn't better now, will be much worse in the near future because he's older than Smoot.

The simple economics is to resign Smoot.

I bet you wouldn't find one GM out there who thinks Smoot is better than Rolle. Rolle is a top 5 cover corner. And how do the economic make more sense? Do you know what Smoot is asking for? I doubt it.

I bet you wouldn't find one GM out there who thinks Smoot is better than Rolle. Rolle is a top 5 cover corner. And how do the economic make more sense? Do you know what Smoot is asking for? I doubt it.

You don't dump that kind of money on a corner his age, coming off of a knee injury when there's another premier corner, three years younger, available for close to the same money.

You don't dump that kind of money on a corner his age, coming off of a knee injury when there's another premier corner, three years younger, available for close to the same money.

Your opinion differs from that of most NFL people. I hope you realize that. If Smoot is better than please explain why every ranking I have seen lists Rolle in the top 10 and Smoot in the 20-30 range?

I love Smoot but to argue he is better is simply because he is a Skin. I wish he would be here but I am betting he is asking for the moon and the Skins called his bluff. That is business.

Personally I would not agree with a decision of letting Smoot go and signing Rolle for the same or even more money. WHY? Smooth played pretty well last year. He was a warrior. He did not make a pro bowl only because of teams overal record. They said Rolle has great speed and taller than Smoot. This are the only things that I would go for. I hope Gibbs and Williams know what they are doing. The problem I see is Rolle, Springs and Harris had many injuries and it may come back to hunt us.

Let's wait and see.

And once again Rolle is 28 not 30. He will turn 29 in August. I love how people just add on years to fit their argument.

Rolle is a bonafide #1 CB in this league. Smoot is a borderline #1 or great #2.

And Smoot is still three years younger. He'll be three years younger next year and the following year. We're not signing him to write poetry, where age wouldn't matter. This is football and age is a huge indicator of performance.

He's too old to pour this kind of money into. The fact that he's coming off a knee injury is just icing on the cake.

And Smoot is still three years younger. He'll be three years younger next year and the following year. We're not signing him to write poetry, where age wouldn't matter. This is football and age is a huge indicator of performance.

He's too old to pour this kind of money into. The fact that he's coming off a knee injury is just icing on the cake.

And I bet you were arguing last year that Springs was injured and old as well. Look how that turned out. He was our #1 CB this year and is only a year older than Rolle.

And the Sporting News ranked Rolle at a 7.7 and Smoot as a 7.0.

Archived