Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Redskins close to Signing Rolle

vegeta613

The year: 2065

The Scene: Samuels in a nursing home

The Call: "Hey Chris, this is Snyd III here at Redskins park. We want to sign another FA so would you mind reworking your contract again? Yeah that's right, we'll back-load this one too. It'll be the highest SB the Skins have ever made. How much? Ohh...5 year contract, league minimum with a $500,000,000 SB. What do ya think?"

Originally posted by jbooma

Why are we signing guys with knee injuries, hasn't Trotter and Barrow shown us anything :doh:

Man hasn't Springs shown us anything yet??? Just because you're injured a season or two doesn't make you injury prone. Last time I checked injuries do occur when you're playing full speed. Things happen. It's not like he's tweaking his hamstring every year. That's a different story.

Barrow doesn't miss a game in his career and he misses one season with us and he's injury prone...get a grip :doh:

Originally posted by TODD

I don't know that we need superstar corners. Our division features no two-receiver threats. Do we really need a a player as quality as Rolle to cover the likes of Todd Pinkston, Ike Hilliard, and Quincy Morgan? My answer is no and that huge $10-$15 million dollar bonus could be spent elsewhere, either spread out over a couple of good players or to a big time DE or WR. I don't like the direction we're going in at this point. Not in the least.

All those teams have $10 million in cap space. There's no telling what any of them will do, but the idea is to be ready. And we won't play one of them in the super bowl, lucky if we meet 'em in the playoffs. Get my point?

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

Man hasn't Springs shown us anything yet??? Just because you're injured a season or two doesn't make you injury prone. Last time I checked injuries do occur when you're playing full speed. Things happen. It's not like he's tweaking his hamstring every year. That's a different story.

Barrow doesn't miss a game in his career and he misses one season with us and he's injury prone...get a grip :doh:

Thank you. :notworthy

Originally posted by dviands

why why whywhywhy

why do we give more money to other teams' players?

smoot is 3 years younger, at least as good as rolle, and he's played very hard for this org. for 4 years. wasn't gibbs supposed to bring continuity? weren't we supposed to keep our core guys here?

WTF:doh1:

Ok, per Bubba's thread. Don't take rumors as fact. Just because the paper says 15 million doesn't necessarily mean it's 15 million.

As I said before we aren't going to spend more than what Smoot was wanting. You're going to have to spend just a tad more than you offered Smoot for a better football player. Rolle by far is a better CB than Smoot. You can check the Pro-bowl's he's been to as proof.

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

What the pro-Rolle people aren't getting here is that we're not getting the Rolle of two years ago or three years ago.

We'd be paying top dollar for the current Rolle and the current Rolle is almost thirty. It's all well and good that he was an All Pro some years but we don't have a time machine. We're getting him (and losing Smoot) as they are today.

He's 28! How old was green when he retired? Close to 40? Cornerbacks have one of the highest age bars in the NFL! Why? Because they are not getting hit on every play! I would say the only other position that has a higher age bar is QB. I bet we could sign Rolle to a 7 year contract and he could fufill the contract.

It boils down to this for me.

1. Smoot has rejected the offers the SKins have made. We don't know how much he is asking for.

2. I doubt the Skins are offering Rolle dramatically more than they were willing to give Smoot. Maybe more but not 5 million more in SB. IMO.

3. Rolle is a better CB than Smoot in most non-Skins fans minds.

4. I would rather have Smoot over Rolle if it is a significant savings over Rolle.

5. Smoot deserves some of the blame on this one. Why are so many folks screaming about us not sigining Smoot when it may be that he is the one holding out for outrageous demands. Have any of the pro-Smoot posters considered that.

It is very smart for the Skins to sign someone (Smoot or Rolle) before FA begins. You don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops. I am not comfortable with Springs and Harris as the top 2. My preference would be Smoot at a reasonable contract but I think he is shooting for a huge payday. Just my guess.

Rolle is by far an upgrade over Smoot no matter how you slice it. I don't care if it's the player from 5 years ago or the one now. He's head and shoulders a better all around ball player than Smoot.

Smoot out priced himself... If he gets 14 million I'll be very surprised. GM's aren't stupid to pay a top 10 CB, top 5 money.

Originally posted by Displaced Redskin Fan

He's 28! How old was green when he retired? Close to 40? Cornerbacks have one of the highest age bars in the NFL! Why? Because they are not getting hit on every play! I would say the only other position that has a higher age bar is QB. I bet we could sign Rolle to a 7 year contract and he could fufill the contract.

So you think Rolle is going to be better over the next 7 years than Smoot is over the next 7 years?

So you think Rolle is going to be better over the next 7 years than Smoot is over the next 7 years?

You don't have a clue what Smooty is asking for. You are assuming it is equal or less than Rolle is asking for. That may not be the case.

Originally posted by laxpck

Samari Rolle is 10 X the corner that Smoot is

I seem to remember a end of half play like 2 years ago in which Samari went the distance (and on a side note 8 of the offensive redskins were knocked down on that play)

None the less, I love the fact that the only thing holding this up is Character issues.....Joe Gibbs ball is back

Its just funny to hear everyone second guess every move....you think Greg Williams did not pull the trigger on this one?

Are you telling me Greg Williams doesn't know defense now?

i think that was a monday night game in 99 or 2000.

Ok, per Bubba's thread. Don't take rumors as fact. Just because the paper says 15 million doesn't necessarily mean it's 15 million.

As I said before we aren't going to spend more than what Smoot was wanting. You're going to have to spend just a tad more than you offered Smoot for a better football player. Rolle by far is a better CB than Smoot. You can check the Pro-bowl's he's been to as proof.

rolle being better is debatable. let's say he is.....

w/ williams scheme, do we need the BEST. how about keeping continuity, keeping our guys around instead of overhauling everything every damn year? the spin here is funny. many people talk about wanting continuity, but then they jump all over the FA's come 3/1. "if the 'skins FO wants him, he must be good."

this pro-smoot poster does take into account that he's asking a lot. but we should've learned w/ bailey and negotiatied this thing with smoot before last season started.

Rolle is by far an upgrade over Smoot no matter how you slice it. I don't care if it's the player from 5 years ago or the one now. He's head and shoulders a better all around ball player than Smoot.

Smoot out priced himself... If he gets 14 million I'll be very surprised. GM's aren't stupid to pay a top 10 CB, top 5 money.

Even with a bad knee :doh: Just like saying Barrow is better then Trotter

Originally posted by Rasta

You don't have a clue what Smooty is asking for. You are assuming it is equal or less than Rolle is asking for. That may not be the case.

That's not true at all. I'm assuming that Smoot is asking for more, $14 million versus $12 million. Smoot is still the better bargain because he's younger.

...and better.

For me to sign Rolle over Smoot, Rolle would have to drop down into the $9 - $10 million range because he's 3 years older and coming off of a knee injury.

How are we judging 7 years? That is a little redick. Nothing is known yet, but given the facts...Smoot rejected our offer. He thinks the open market will be more profitable for him. If he were a true Redskin, he would have taken our generous offer. Look at the guys on the Pats, they play for less for their team. They are true Patriots. When it comes to our guys, it is show me the money....no kind of loyalty at all. If Smoot wanted to be here, it would have been done....but it is not, so we are proceeding.

w/ williams scheme, do we need the BEST. how about keeping continuity, keeping our guys around instead of overhauling everything every damn year? the spin here is funny. many people talk about wanting continuity, but then they jump all over the FA's come 3/1. "if the 'skins FO wants him, he must be good."

this pro-smoot poster does take into account that he's asking a lot. but we should've learned w/ bailey and negotiatied this thing with smoot before last season started.

Actually, the thing with Williams scheme is we do need the best at CB since the corners are alone in man-2-man so often

I don't disagree about the continuity thing, but what this obviously says to me is that Greg Williams does not think Smoot is as good as his reputation.

Do you honestly think Smoot would have done that? I seriously doubt it. He knew darn well that he would be worth more after the season. Considering he started by asking for 14M bonus do you really think the SKins would have given him that last summer. Not a chance. They only offered Champ that much. How would it have gotten done last summer?

That's not true at all. I'm assuming that Smoot is asking for more, $14 million versus $12 million. Smoot is still the better bargain because he's younger.

...and better.

For me to sign Rolle over Smoot, Rolle would have to drop down into the $9 - $10 million range because he's 3 years older and coming off of a knee injury.

You are not living in reality dude. No CB of that caliber is going to sign for that. And once again, you thinking Smoot is better is your opinion that is not backed up by anyone other than Skins fans. And i'm a Skins fan who loves Smoot and wants him to stay here. Your only argument that holds water to me is his age.

You never know.

example from early 2004: "So...you thing Springs is going to be better over the next year or two than Smoot is over that period? I mean, Springs is old and injury prone is Smoot is young and on the rise."

Can you honestly say that Springs was not better than Smoot last year?

*cough* NO *cough*

It's obvious Greg Williams sees something that we don't, besides the obvious fact that Rolle is better than Smoot. Our team is about players who fit in the system. Rolle fits in Williams' system like a glove. But I'll meet you halfway and admit that Greg Williams is no capologist.

Archived