Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Redskins close to Signing Rolle

vegeta613

Originally posted by dviands

rolle being better is debatable. let's say he is.....

w/ williams scheme, do we need the BEST. how about keeping continuity, keeping our guys around instead of overhauling everything every damn year? the spin here is funny. many people talk about wanting continuity, but then they jump all over the FA's come 3/1. "if the 'skins FO wants him, he must be good."

this pro-smoot poster does take into account that he's asking a lot. but we should've learned w/ bailey and negotiatied this thing with smoot before last season started.

I agree with you that we should try and keep every thing together. But is Smoot trying to actually stay with the team on the other hand?? I don't think so with the demands he's making. If he wants to play ball he should come down from that demand. The problem is that everyone thinks that they should get paid more than they use to. In the past that might of flew, but I think we are going away with "overspending". Plus we don't have the room to over spend this year.

Rolle isn't going to get 15 million. If that's the case it's more of a bargain just to stay with Smoot. I can't believe we'd over spend for someone who is better. But we have a real good option already on our team.

I agree, we need to take a page out of Philly's book and lock up our young guys long term early before we get hit with this type of situation again.

The skins F.O. has to be sandbagging on this deal. Why would we blow all of this money on an aging CB when the problem with the team is on offense?

How about throwing that money at a Pass rushing DE?

I'm sure its been said, but what happened to looking for those diamond in the rough guys-blue collar guys, and staying away from the Dana Stubblefats, Trotter, Deion, etc...

I always have faith in Coach Gibbs, but that faith is being tested right now.

:doh:

People, I wouldn't worry about any acquisitions we are making on defense. They will work themselves out, as we saw last offseason and during the season. The player acquisitions, the coaching... it was a thing of beauty.

The offense, on the other hand... Well I worry about the personnel management there. :(

Question.. IF smoot wants 14 and were thinking about 15 for Rolle and everyone says its debatle both are good cover corvers and Smoot is like a clone of rolle, then Why not just give smoot the 14. He is younger..

I think its a smokescreen. Good ol GW called up his buddy Samari and said "Samari will you do me a favor.. we need to start this rumor that you are signing with us so we can pressure fred smoot into signing. Can you do this for your ol Coach .. Id really appreciate it"

Originally posted by DB44

The skins F.O. has to be sandbagging on this deal. Why would we blow all of this money on an aging CB when the problem with the team is on offense?

If Smoot is to leave, a CB is a higher priority than a pass rushing DE. Reason being, we can generate a pass rush from other areas (as we saw last year), but a good cover corner is needed to make the system run. The corners and pass rush go hand in hand. In a perfect world, we would be able to either keep Smoot (or sign Rolle) AND aquire a pass rushing DE.

I'm kind of split on this Rolle-Smoot issue. I'd like Smoot to stay for continuity's sake and the fact that he's one of my personal favorites. But the fact remains, we don't know the deal the FO offered Smoot. I'll reserve judgement until then. If it's true that Smoot turned down a fair deal, we can argue, as we did with Champ, that Smoot is a corner who has excellent cover skills, but is not a game changer. I don't know that Rolle is, but he is a more legit blitz threat off the corner.

Originally posted by DB44

I'm sure its been said, but what happened to looking for those diamond in the rough guys-blue collar guys, and staying away from the Dana Stubblefats, Trotter, Deion, etc...

I always have faith in Coach Gibbs, but that faith is being tested right now.

:doh:

And I'm sure you're probably one of those people when some of key players got injured you were saying jesus age ***** who is Ryan Clark and Salave'a??? Our FO sucks!!

This is all Greg Williams. Do you think Joe calls the shots on defense? Greg Williams knows what's best for his style of defense. I'm sure he wants another corner he can blitz with that can tackle.

Whatever it is that the Skins are thinking, Im sure they understand their situation a little more then we do. Im also positive they won't offer Rolli more then Smoot. It may seem like more on paper, but they have something up their sleeve, you better believe that.

In Gibbs we trust.

Originally posted by TCR

TCR = The Cowboys Rule

Ahh, excellent choice, mate!

I note that you wonder why we do what we do concerning contracts in FA. Tell me, would you rather have YOUR team overpay for one of the many high profile FA Corners or would you rather stick with Frazier, Hunter, or whoever the hell you got there for another season?

Originally posted by skinsfan56

Smoot > Rolle

because Smoot is a "true redskin." Stop overpaying for free agents and pay the players that have been here who deserve it.

Aye aye aye:doh: How many times must it be stated? If I'm tight on dough and my "true Redskin" demands MORE than the other guy (who is BETTER, I might add) Then I'm letting the "true Redskin" walk every time. I'm sorry, but that's called BUSINESS.

Originally posted by cfujskins

Aye aye aye:doh: How many times must it be stated? If I'm tight on dough and my "true Redskin" demands MORE than the other guy (who is BETTER, I might add) Then I'm letting the "true Redskin" walk every time. I'm sorry, but that's called BUSINESS.

I understand your point, but anything we offer Rolle should be offered to Smoot.

Originally posted by skinsfan56

I understand your point, but anything we offer Rolle should be offered to Smoot.

We did and you know what? He turned it down. Yea, that's right. "The true Redskin" turned it down. It's kind of strange that he seems so content on testing the market.

Archived