Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:After Trade Fails, Coles's Release Appears More Likely

mhd24

Originally posted by Skins11

Coles is more likely to be released than traded to the Jets for Moss, if that's what Nunyo is trying to say. The probability of him getting released is 0.0001%, while the probability of him getting traded for Moss is -324234234%. :rolleyes:

Those percentages are kind of on the high side, don't you think?

Originally posted by pr11fan

No way should they release Coles. Tell him if he wants to go he can find a team willing to take over the 5 million and shut up about a new contract. Otherwise he can stay here. Gibbs said he would "try" to accomodate anybody who didn't want to be here. Well Coles, that only works with your contract if you meet him halfway, otherwise shutup and play. :mad:

Agree 100%

Originally posted by bubba9497

wrong. only if the other team is willing to take on roster bonus

because Coles is under Contract for 5 more years.... he has zero barginng position.... exect if he agrees to re-do his contract because of the $5 million due

4-1

Obviously he has bargaining position Bubba as he nixed the trade with the Jets because he wanted his contract re-worked...

Originally posted by pr11fan

Exactly, after the job GW did last year both in coaching and talent evaluation, if he said he wanted to move Taylor to DE I'd still believe he knew what he was doing. :D

Remember, it was our defensive staff that told Gibbs that Smoot was not worth $14 million. I'll take their word over Jerrah's any day. Besides, other than the Chicago game last year, the thing I remember most about Smoot last year was him playing WAY off his man and giving up the underneath ball on almost every play. Hell, Rolle can at least do that...anyone could...

So if we release Coles we get 5 mil in relief right?

I think we should just go ahead with this plan and try to acquire a WR in FA and draft one of the 3 remaining guys (Edwards, Williamson, or Williams) in the draft.

Maybe there will be a surprise June 1st cut we can go after.

Originally posted by Bugs'

Obviously he has bargaining position Bubba as he nixed the trade with the Jets because he wanted his contract re-worked...

because contrary to what Lenny P said the Jets where going to assume the $5 million, roster bonus. That means they would have to sign Coles to a new contract to do so. (reported by the Daiy Press, and USA Today)

a team not assuming te bonus... would not have to do anything but pay the remainder of the contract Coles signed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...dskins/home.htm

—Left unanswered by the Redskins' scurry to rework LT Chris Samuels' contract to gain the cap space to deal Coles was the intriguing question of whether Coles would have been permitted to return a portion of his signing bonus to facilitate his release.

"I have no answer to that question," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "That totally depends on what is being proposed."

In essence, Aiello was punting until Coles truly was ready to put his money where his mouth was. Washington's maneuvering prevented talks from reaching that stage.

The trepidation, a source close to the talks said on the condition of anonymity, comes from the Jets' side. The Jets are concerned about the condition of Coles' big toe and the salary cap ramifications of absorbing all or a portion of Coles' $5 million roster bonus.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp...dp-sports-local

$12 million SB for Rolle sounds about right.

I wouldve predicted $10 or $11, but he is one of the best out there right now, if not the best.

Only Law is better, but he is older by 2 years.

Whoever signs him is taking a risk because it will be a double digit SB for a guy who has missed good portions of 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Originally posted by soljaofjesus

How about a trade coles to the vikings for the 18th pick and trade down Alot an get troy williamson or vincent jackson

What makes you think Coles won't ask them for a new deal and in effect kill that deal. If Coles doesn't change his tone he should be a redskin in 05, I know it's not the ideal but if he isn't willing to play ball than he obviously doesn't want to leave here too badly.

And hhm, every guy is a risk, Smoot is a risk cause he's the same size, he's an injury waiting to happen, Pierce is a risk as he excelled in Gw's system as did just about everybody this year so who is to say he isn't the redskins version of Trotter. If there's one thing I've learned as a skins fan it's that there is no sure thing even in FA and they all carry risks.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

$12 million SB for Rolle sounds about right.

I wouldve predicted $10 or $11, but he is one of the best out there right now, if not the best.

Only Law is better, but he is older by 2 years.

Whoever signs him is taking a risk because it will be a double digit SB for a guy who has missed good portions of 2 of the last 3 seasons.

right now, we don't know what Law is. He hasn't played in months and his team's D was still tight without him.

Its going to be a highest bidder type situation.

Originally posted by Bufford

right now, we don't know what Law is. He hasn't played in months and his team's D was still tight without him.

Its going to be a highest bidder type situation.

Of course, comparing both "when healthy".

Rolle has his health issues, as does Law, so right now, you are correct.

It will be a highest bidder game.

"[The Redskins] have to get the $5 million back before Wednesday. The clock is running out. If I'm the Redskins, I'd release him for the $5 million because he still has too much leverage."

:wtf: - Coles holds none of the cards in my opinion. Let him sit on the inactive list all season, see how that works. Maybe his toe will finally heal, or worse, Mike Nolan will engineer a trade to reunite former disgruntled employees on the west coast.

Either way - :ciao: - don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!

Peace out quitter!

Originally posted by HeHateMe

Of course, comparing both "when healthy".

Rolle has his health issues, as does Law, so right now, you are correct.

It will be a highest bidder game.

I think my point was, that Law might never be the same again. That goes for Rolle also, but more so for Law.

That's why I'd rather keep Smoot and let somebody else go for that two. Even if that means giving Freddy a 12mil bonus, if he'd accept.

Originally posted by Bufford

I think my point was, that Law might never be the same again. That goes for Rolle also, but more so for Law.

That's why I'd rather keep Smoot and let somebody else go for that two. Even if that means giving Freddy a 12mil bonus, if he'd accept.

I'd agree with that. That 12Mil number splits their difference right down the middle...seems like a great compromise number.

Archived