Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss = 1st Down Machine

Dan T.

Looking at Santana Moss's numbers, I came across an interesting stat. His 2004 catch total was low - 45 catches. But 35 of those catches were for first downs. That means 78% of his catches went for first downs.

I did a quick check and could only find two top receivers with such a high percentage of catches for first downs, Randy Moss and Mushim Muhammed:

Randy Moss 87%

Mushin Muhammed 79%

SANTANA MOSS 78%

Joe Horn 77%

Marvin Harrison 73%

Jerry Porter 73%

Issac Bruce 72%

Javon Walker 71%

Chad Johnson 66%

Terrell Owens 66%

Rod Smith 65%

Hines Ward 65%

Rod Gardner 58%

Lavernaeious Coles 57%

So, does this mean he's a playmaker?

Santana is very talented and with his speed he can stretch the defense. He will not go over the middle on crossing patterns as Coles will, so he is either running the post, the fly, or a sideline route. He gets most of his seperation from teams playing off of him respecting his speed, or by blowing by them. He used to be a fearless punt returner, but this past season, he seemed to lose his stomach for it. It seemed each time the ball was punted to him, he headed in a straight line towards the sideline.

It also should be pointed out, that we had Paul Hackett as the Offensive coordinator last year, and he ran a risk averse offense. Not many shots long. Santana is not a good fit for the west coast offense, which depends on the slant and YAC, while Coles thrived in it when a member of the Jets before he was "disrespected"

Originally posted by friscojet

He used to be a fearless punt returner, but this past season, he seemed to lose his stomach for it. It seemed each time the ball was punted to him, he headed in a straight line towards the sideline.

He had a NASTY punt return against the Steelers in the AFC DIvisional game, so I wouldn't say he's too scared as a punt returner anymore.

Originally posted by jkam

Here's even a better stat. Santana Moss has averaged 1 TD for every 7.5 catches in his career. L Coles averages a TD for every 17 catches. (Of course he didn't have Brunnell throwing to him for half a season.)

-----

Yea but SMoss also didn't have Pennington (Sp) either and even when he came back he wasn't 100% and his down field passing game suffered. That is SMoss strength, the long pass. If Ramsey and SMoss get the timming right I can see the play action play being deadly for the skins especially if Portis can run the ball effectively. Man we need that OL to get better. Please God let us grab a good C in FA and a couple of sleeper OLinesmen in the 3 and 4th round.

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Nice find, that means he gets seperation which is one thing we could use right now.

:laugh:

Sorry, I'm still laughing at your sig.

I think this topic is very encouraging. I think the quickness Moss possesses is what Coach Gibbs is looking for. To have the option of the Hitch, or the Hitch and Go Route.

Again, Great Sig :cheers:

Moss is an effective #2 in the Gary Clark mode. We still need a #1 receiver though.

Here are Gary Clark's stats during the 8 seasons he and Art Monk played together in Washington: 549 receptions for 8742 yards and 58 TDs. He led the team in receptions 4 times, in receiving yards 6 times, and in TD receptions 7 times.

And Art Monk's stats during that same time period? 545 receptions for 7372 yards and 41 TDs. Monk led the team in receptions 3 times, in receiving yards once, and never in TD receptions while playing with Clark.

So, Clark is a #2 receiver????????

I'm getting so SICK of this mentality that feels the neccessity to designate a receiver as #1, #2, ...etc. It's meaningless, especially when trying to do so based on a receivers physical attributes.

STOP IT!!!!!!

I hope none of you are expecting Moss to be a #1 WR. He could be a good second option, especially with a strong-armed QB, but will never be the go to guy. He's soft and doesn't like going over the middle, he's somewhat injury-prone, and is not a threat as a PR. When he did catch the ball he did make the most of it, but he also must've been one of leaders in dropped passes. Coles plays with more heart, is the better blocker, has better hands, and is tougher. He's a legit #1 WR and him and Pennington were unbelivable together.

Originally posted by Jetsalltheway

I hope none of you are expecting Moss to be a #1 WR. He could be a good second option, especially with a strong-armed QB, but will never be the go to guy. He's soft and doesn't like going over the middle, he's somewhat injury-prone, and is not a threat as a PR. When he did catch the ball he did make the most of it, but he also must've been one of leaders in dropped passes. Coles plays with more heart, is the better blocker, has better hands, and is tougher. He's a legit #1 WR and him and Pennington were unbelivable together.

Moss doesn't drop a lot of balls especially compared to LC. Last year he caught 58% of the balls thrown to him, compared to LC, who only caught 54%. In 2003 Moss caught 63% to LC's 52%.

Thanks for your totally subjective opinion, but you're wrong. Here's a link to the stats I used as a source, you may find that they provide an interesting comparison of Coles vs. Moss over the last two years in other areas as well:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2003.php

Archived