Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CPND Exclusive: Demasio Defends His Story

rtandler

Nunyo's been getting hammered pretty hard this afternoon and I invited him to give us his side of how the Coles story developed.

Said Demasio:

It started late last season. I heard from a player that Coles had asked to be traded during the season. And then, as the season came to an end, Gibbs let it be known that anyone who did not want to be a Redskin next season should come and talk to him and he would do his best to accommodate the request. Coles and (Rod) Gardner were the only ones to take him up on that.

CPND Exclusive: Post Reporter Defends Coles Story

I believe he hit the head on this one, Gibbs obviously didn't want it leaked like this, but I believe by the middle of March the basic gist of the story (Coles won't be here in 05) will be true. I kinda feel bad for the guy cause people are going hang onto what Gibbs says like it's the gospel and denounce Demasio as a moron, yet if this proves to be correct Gibbs will just have been posturing and ND will still catch grief the next time he posts something the fans don't like.

I don't understand why people are mad at the writer. Aren't you guys glad you know right now?

If Coles is ultimately not going to be with the team, and the guy did his homework, what is the beef? Is Gibbs so beyond reproach that if he gets pissed that a story got leaked, the messenger must be killed?

I think Gibbs and fans should be more upet then with the mole in the organization.

I don't understand why people are mad at the writer. Aren't you guys glad you know right now?

If Coles is ultimately not going to be with the team, and the guy did his homework, what is the beef? Is Gibbs so beyond reproach that if he gets pissed that a story got leaked, the messenger must be killed?

I couldn't agree more, I would rather know this is going on assuming that ND actually did his homework and didn't just pull the story out of thin air. Just b/c Gibbs denied it doesn't mean it isn't true, I mean if I remember right almost all the clues last year were leaning towards Winslow in days leading up to the draft and Ed Werder reporting 1 pick before ours that Gibbs was basically enamored with Winslow, so it's not like everything that comes out of Gibbs mouth is the truth and that's not a bad thing in this business, but I can't understand why some people have such a hard time believing this could be true just b/c Gibbs won't verify it, and are willing to crucify the messenger b/c of it.

i have mixed feelings on the issue. obviously we enjoy receiving inside information - but if the public release of this news ultimately ends up hurting the prospects of the redskins making a trade or completing any kind of beneficial deal, then i'd rather wait to hear until after the work is done. The early report of this information is certainly not going to help the redskins at the bargaining table

Originally posted by bubba9497

why?

how?

It could hurt the Skins' position because now other teams know Coles doesn't want to be there, and the Redskins almost have to move him. That gives other teams a little more leverage than if the Redskins approached some team like, say the Jets, and said "We want Abraham. You can have, oh I don't know ... how about Coles."

Frankly, I'd give up knowing the Redskins wanted to move him if it meant getting a better deal in the end.

Gibbs wants his house secured and every time this happens he will get pissed. He wants to connect with the fans but is old school in his "need to know" kinda way. In this case i would be pissed to because much more could have been accomplished without the 3 ring circus in town.

I bet you all that Nunyo burnt a couple of his contacts this go around - unless it was intentional which I find hard to believe.

As to whover it was who questions that we would rather know than not know, if its for the better of the team than I would rather not know. Redskins park will officially be on lock down after this mess is cleared up. And I won't blame Gibbs a bit - the media is SOOO much worse than it was his last go around.

Numbnuts could have avoided this whole thing by calling Joe Gibbs and asking for confirmation that Coles was about to be released. If he took the time to call Coles agent "100 times" then why didn't he try to ask Joe just once?

What has effectively happened now is exactly as Henry describes. A deal will be much more difficult and this hurts both the Redskins and Coles (which is why his agent is so pissed). The Redskin employees that talked to Numbnuts should be fired. Numbnuts should be disciplined for not getting confirmation from Gibbs.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

His report was inaccurate. The Redskins were looking to trade Coles, not release him. Period. And if you dont think journalists sit on/delay stories ALL THE TIME, you are crazy.

Actually the story was basically that coles was leaving the redskins, does it make a huge difference if he was beeing traded or not?? He was the first reporter to write on paper that the redskins were getting rid of coles, at the time he had the wrong info on how maybe but the report it self is accurate.

He knew he had to jump on it because he must have been aware of ESPN's report as well as the WT's report today. So he jumped the gun, however if they don't come to an agreement with Coles and a trade then he is going to be released. Gibbs is not going to keep someone unhappy here, period.

The report is false. There is a monumental difference between dumping Coles on his ass and getting something in return for him. When Skins fans are up in arms about getting nothing in return for a player of Coles caliber, it's misleading. There was no mention of a trade in the original article and that's just bad reporting. He should have researched it better rather than release a nah-nah-nah article just to beat someone else to the punch. Bad Nunyo.

It makes a huge difference in terms of leverage and negotiations, and thats why Gibbs was pissed, and when pressed on the issue in the conference, specifically said "the article said he would be released, that's inaccurate".

Nunyo tap daced his way with multiple iterations of later articles to try to get closer to the truth of the situation.

And ESPN clearly jumped on the story AFTER seeing Nunyo's article. They obviously contacted sources for verification once it had already leaked.

I don't have a problem with the report. The crux of it was that Coles was on the outs, and while the possibility of a release was the story, the fact that Coles had requested a trade was mentioned.

Frankly, as I said on another thread, I would be more confident in the details of the story if it came from LaCanfora instead of Demasio. But at the same time, I think Nunyo is on fine turf here in the big picture.

A few details may turn out to be incorrect, but he had sources on everything, and that's enough to go. His first job is to be a reporter, not look out for the interests of the team.

BD

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

It makes a huge difference in terms of leverage and negotiations, and thats why Gibbs was pissed, and when pressed on the issue in the conference, specifically said "the article said he would be released, that's inaccurate".

Nunyo tap daced his way with multiple iterations of later articles to try to get closer to the truth of the situation.

And ESPN clearly jumped on the story AFTER seeing Nunyo's article. They obviously contacted sources for verification once it had already leaked.

Then maybe Gibbs should stop worrying about reporters and find the leaks first, since the information given to Nunyo was part of the whole thing, he knew about the meetings which were supposed to be in secret. Nunyo is doing his job, he has to beat everyone to the punch. Gibbs needs to do a better job of keeping information inhouse, he hasn't been able to do that.

It is obvious the agent wanted some leverage.

Archived