Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CPND Exclusive: Demasio Defends His Story

rtandler

His first job is to be as accurate as he can. Only Gibbs or Snyder can really speak with authority about the Redskins plans. There is no evidence that numbnuts made any attempt to confirm that the Skins were about to cut Coles, but he wrote that anyway. Its not about loyalty to the Redskins. He didn't do his first job which is to make every effort to be accurate.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

The original article mentioned the likelihood of his release. The only time the word trade entered the article was in referennce to Coles asking to be traded during the 2004 season.

And as a reporter, his first job is to verify the story.

As someone who reads the post I want to know what is happening, if there was an earthquake, or bombing, etc....

Then later I would care more about the details.

Hence what I got from the article was the skins were getting rid of Coles, that is all I care about. I don't care about the fine details of it once it is all been taking care of.

Nunyo did that, and now is getting down to the details.

It is like the skins are interested in this player in FA, such as the CB from Tenn, then once they get more of the details let us know the rest. That is how it works.

I find it funny that everyone is screaming at Nunyo. When he was right all along, just didn't have the fine details of the transaction. No one actually would untill the paperwork is submitted to the NFL anyway.

I understand and respect that there was enough truth in numbnuts' story that it would have been a headliner regardless, but there is a huge difference in outright cutting a top notch player and in considering trading one. He needs to understand these things and make the effort to confirm rumors (which is all he ever had, regardless of source) before printing them. He has caused trouble for both the Skins and Coles.

Originally posted by wskin44

I understand and respect that there was enough truth in numbnuts' story that it would have been a headliner regardless, but there is a huge difference in outright cutting a top notch player and in considering trading one. He needs to understand these things and make the effort to confirm rumors (which is all he ever had, regardless of source) before printing them. He has caused trouble for both the Skins and Coles.

yes but does the average reader care about it, he can't just write his article for a particular fan, he has to right it for the average reader, and most only care if he is here or gone

we are different since we understand the game and all the inside stuff as well, the majority aren't like that

if that was something OM or Art would write for this site, then yes we would want all the details and all of them accurate, when you are writing for millions in this area, they don't care as much

since most of these readers will read the morning article, and then todays and be fine, they don't need the information now like we crave here

Good of you to speak for the readers booma. Now....BS. Nunyo has a responsibility as a journalist to his readers to provide as accurate a story as he can. Regardless of what the average reader may or may not care about. That's his job. This also protects the paper and it's reputation and integrity. This also helps to make sure the paper maintains it's relationship with the Team. Which is just a little important too. If in fact the average reader didn't care,( as well as the Post), then Nunyo wouldn't be spending so much time defending it. No sir. He owes the reader better than to put out a story before it's ready in order to get a scoop. No matter how you or Nunyo try to rationalize what he did, it was wrong and now he's in the position he's in now.

Back to work

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Good of you to speak for the readers booma. Now....BS. Nunyo has a responsibility as a journalist to his readers to provide as accurate a story as he can. Regardless of what the average reader may or may not care about. That's his job. This also protects the paper and it's reputation and integrity. This also helps to make sure the paper maintains it's relationship with the Team. Which is just a little important too. If in fact the average reader didn't care,( as well as the Post), then Nunyo wouldn't be spending so much time defending it. No sir. He owes the reader better than to put out a story before it's ready in order to get a scoop. No matter how you or Nunyo try to rationalize what he did, it was wrong and now he's in the position he's in now.

Well according to Mortenson just now Coles has only agreed to give back money if he was released, he has not agreed to it yet if he is traded. So at the time he was right.

It makes since he is only going to give back the money when he can make it up in a new contract with a new team, if he is traded that team does not have to work a new deal unless they want too.

Not it makes sense why Gibbs was so mad since he must have been trying to work out an agreement for a trade which still is only if Coles gives back money.

Maybe he was defending his story so much is because he was right afterall.

Originally posted by Henry

I think Gibbs is trying to do some damage control after it came out that Coles no longer wanted to be here. He could very well be released, but that may be because he is now virtually un-tradeable, thanks to Nunyo.

I highly doubt he is untradeable, just as Keyshawn appeared to be last year. Gruden basically banished Keyshawn from the team last year. Keyshawn is older than Coles and is less talented, and is known to be a selfish player / headcase. It was clear that the Bucs were not going to have him back on the team under any circumstances. Yet the Bucs still got a trade out of it.

Surely we could get more than Joey Galloway, if it comes to it. And if nobody bites on the trade, we could always have him still play on the team. It has happened before. And it's not like teammates have openly hated Coles or anything, as they did with Meshawn.

Originally posted by Henry

I think Gibbs is trying to do some damage control after it came out that Coles no longer wanted to be here. He could very well be released, but that may be because he is now virtually un-tradeable, thanks to Nunyo.

Like Skins11 said if Keyshawn could be traded anyone can. The issue though is if Coles agrees to the same deal, if not we can't trade him.

Henry are agents allowed to talk with other teams, like general conversation etc... curious how much an agent can actually say to others.

Untradeable's a strong word. However, if we don't trade him, and we were actively shopping him around, then I think it's safe to say his value lowered substantially enough that we couldn't get what we had hoped to before this story broke.

I'm sure we could get SOMETHING for him under practiaclly any circumstance. But that wasn't my point.

Originally posted by jbooma

yes but does the average reader care about it, he can't just write his article for a particular fan, he has to right it for the average reader, and most only care if he is here or gone

we are different since we understand the game and all the inside stuff as well, the majority aren't like that

if that was something OM or Art would write for this site, then yes we would want all the details and all of them accurate, when you are writing for millions in this area, they don't care as much

since most of these readers will read the morning article, and then todays and be fine, they don't need the information now like we crave here

Average reporters create average readers. I haven't heard any theory as to why numbnuts called the agent 100 times to confirm the rumor, but apparently didn't bother to contact Joe Gibbs. Any takers?

Originally posted by Westbrook36

So if the Skins do wind up releasing Coles, will you all apologize for your comments towards him?

Absolutely not. He had the opportunity to tell Gibbs that he was about to print a story that the Redskins were going to cut Coles and would Gibbs like to make a comment. He called Coles' agent "100 times" but didn't bother to call Gibbs? He owes us an apology.

I don't understand why people are mad at the writer. Aren't you guys glad you know right now?

If Coles is ultimately not going to be with the team, and the guy did his homework, what is the beef? Is Gibbs so beyond reproach that if he gets pissed that a story got leaked, the messenger must be killed?

I think Gibbs and fans should be more upet then with the mole in the organization.

People are upset because this story being leaked at this point makes it very difficult to move Coles for any of any kind of real value, either in draft picks or players. Regardless of how good the info is or not, a reporter dropping this story without the home team's approval puts a real dent in that team's ability to do business.

He could have called Gibbs and said that he had the info but would like Gibbs permission to run with it. If Gibbs said he would prefer that it not hit the papers right now, trade not doing it now for an exclusive later when a deal is done.

What ever happened to "you scatch my back and I will scratch yours"?

My problem with Nunyo is that his "fresh gossip" undermines Coach Gibbs ability to manage this team. The fact that Coach has to have a press conference/news breifing to clarify his position in reference to Nunyo's most recent remarks is getting old. He is probably not even a fan of this team, the Post should fire him and bring in someone local who cares about the team.

Originally posted by Neophyte

People are upset because this story being leaked at this point makes it very difficult to move Coles for any of any kind of real value, either in draft picks or players. Regardless of how good the info is or not, a reporter dropping this story without the home team's approval puts a real dent in that team's ability to do business.

He could have called Gibbs and said that he had the info but would like Gibbs permission to run with it. If Gibbs said he would prefer that it not hit the papers right now, trade not doing it now for an exclusive later when a deal is done.

What ever happened to "you scatch my back and I will scratch yours"?

Numbnuts was not required to do that. He just should have given Joe the opportunity to comment on the story before it was released.

On the other hand if I was the Post's Redskin reporter, I would be Joe's b _ tch.

:laugh:

You are still all under the impression that Demasio or any reporter answers to Gibbs or the Redskins.

Reporters report news. That is their job. They don't have or have to have any loyalty towards a team.

Not "all" of us. Some of us have made it clear that his job is to be loyal to accuracy, not the team.

The fact the skins and post are not on good terms is maybe why they didn't try to get confirmation from Joe.

Now that the Post was able to scoop everyone, maybe joe will be kind to them again.

The funny thing is he should be kind to the post since no one cares about the WT.

The reporter's job is to report the truth as he knows it after researching it...not look after the best interests of the team.

His report, like it or not, is essentially true.

Originally posted by jbooma

You are still all under the impression that Demasio or any reporter answers to Gibbs or the Redskins.

Reporters report news. That is their job. They don't have or have to have any loyalty towards a team.

Tell the truth. You two were seperated at birth, weren't you.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by DUSTINMFOX

I don't like it how Nunyo is trying to cover his ass by writing the statement that he tried to call Coles agent and he hung up on him......

To me that's bad reporting...

Dustin, he didn't write that, he said that to me on the phone. It didn't come across to me as CYA, just that Coles' agent didn't want the story out either.

If it pisses off both sides, it's probably a pretty good story, IMO.

Archived