Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prisco on the Trotter signing

Nerm

I saw this over at cbs sportsline. It seems like the Skins had to know about Trotter's knees. I have read that some teams took Trotter off their draft board because of the knee thing. It looks like it hasnt really hurt his play so far. Did the Skins give him a physical before they signed him? Did the team Dr give a thumbs up on him?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5296633,00.html

In talking to several coaches and front-office people around the league, the consensus is the Washington Redskins badly overpaid for free-agent middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter. Many in the media are applauding the signing, which includes a $7-million signing bonus paid out in the first two years and averages over $5 million, counting the final two years that will void based on Trotter's playing time. In reality, the deal is a five-year, $20-million contract. Those on the inside of the league's dealings aren't as optimistic. "That's a lot of money to pay a linebacker who doesn't rush the passer at all," said one NFC coach. Trotter has been strictly a run player during his career with the Eagles, getting 3½ sacks in four seasons playing mostly in an aggressive style of defense. The other concern some expressed was his health. Trotter, according to some in the league, has problems with his knees that could be trouble down the road. "He has bone on bone," said one NFC personnel director. "When he came out of college, it was a worry then." Even the Eagles had reservations when they selected him. The Redskins, though, are thrilled with the signing, which many now think completes one of the best linebacker trios in the league. Trotter will start between outside linebackers LaVar Arrington and Jessie Armstead in Washington. It's a good group, but Arrington is the only potentially great player. Maybe all that heat Eagles coach Andy Reid took for releasing Trotter doesn't have as much merit. Trotter had been designated as a franchise player by the Eagles, but when it became clear the two sides could not agree on a long-term deal, Reid set him free. The Eagles now have to figure out if Barry Gardner, who was a second-round pick in 1999, can fill Trotter's role.

I read in a philadelphiaeagles.com article (pre-2001 playoffs) that Trotter has to ice both his knees after every game and some practices.

Even if its a deteriorating issue, I still think we can get 3 or 4 nice years out of him.

Nerm,

Do me a favor, and TRY to think clearly for a second. In your hand you hold four year old draft worries about a player's knee. In my hand, I hold 48 consecutive starts at middle linebacker. Which hand do you think is more relevant?

Your hand, again, holds four year old "knee issues" with "knee issues" quoted because, a ton of players have issues that teams worry about and ultimately don't hurt them, or in some cases do. Mike Williams had a knee problem and if it flairs up, teams can say they knew it. If it doen't, and he starts for three years as the right or left tackle and never misses a start, while playing on concrete astroturf, do you think he'll have to answer his "knee issues" in four years when he's up for free agency?

Or, do you think it's just slightly possible that a guy who has started for three consecutive years and has not missed a start for any injury issue while playing on the worst field in the NFL might, JUST MIGHT, carry some weight at the end of the day with people?

Again, when comparing your four year old knee questions versus Trotter's status as a guy who hasn't missed a start in three years, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't be able to bluff me into folding my cards on this. What do you think?

Nerm - Pete Prisco is a notorious Skins-basher. I suppose if you're a Cowboys fan he's always a good read. I'll say this though....

When the Eagles and Bears squared off this season... Urlacher and Trotter were lauded as the NFC's best middle linebacker. Both young and ferocious. When the Eagles designated Trotter as a 'franchise' player... they applauded for 'doing the right thing' and keeping a core player intact. And prior to the Eagles franchising' Trotter... Reid went on record stating he need Trottter if the Eagles were going to make a Super Bowl run next year.

Since being designated a franchise player.... there were rumblings how unhappy Trotter was with the tag and how Reid was becoming embittered. Then all of a sudden... there's a degenerative knee problem that's been a worry since he was drafted.

You see how it works :rolleyes:

34 to go...

alright, trotter has knee problems. no sh!t. everyone has known that for 4 years. yet, trotter has played 48 consecutive games, has been to several pro bowls, and has been the defensive MVP for the eagles....all while playing on the deplorable turf at the Vet. he has to ice his knees? looks like he is trying to take care of himself to me...

he isn't much of a rusher? big deal. our weakness is vs. the run. we have lavar, champ and freddy (not to mention darrell) watching his back on the passing plays. the skins' front office knew what they were paying for...

by accounts i've read on this board by people who know alot more than i do about the cap, trotter's salary will not significantly damage the cap in the 3-4 years he will be here...

i like the signing. all we need is another DT to keep the OL off trotter so he can make plays.

HTTR

I think Trotter was a fine addition to the Skins. He is a very good MLB and plays well against Dallas. Just because I posted what Prisco wrote does not mean I have the same opinion on all of the issues he touched on. I was just wondering if the team Dr took a look at his knees before they gave him the signing bonus. I am glad to see the Eagles lose the guy they voted team MVP.

I do think the Skins overpayed for him though. Of course Dallas is currently overpaying a few guys too. As a Cowboy fan, I like what the signing does to the Eagle's chemistry and the Skin's cap. I think signing Trotter makes the Skins a better team, but the $ they gave him made him the 2nd highest paid LB in the NFL. I dont think he is one of the top 2 LBs.

This isnt a Skins bashing post. Im just saying that if I was Snyder, I would have spent the $ differently. Im sure everyone on this board would have their own preferences on how to use availabe cap space. Dallas is currently overpaying Woodson, Emmitt, and Robinson among others.

some may argue that the skins' overpaid, but....

trotter was set to get 5+ million as the wiggles franchise player. we are paying him an average of 3+ million a year. granted that the bonus payout is a bit squirrly, but i don't think we overpaid.

Nerm "did you get a free bowl of soup with that brain....well, it looks good on you" :D

To answer your question no we just took Trots word for it.

Trot are your knees good? "yes". Ok Trot here`s an extra million sorry we asked.

Even if we didn`t, there is 4 years of game film to look at to see if there ever was a problem.

I'm not too worried about his lack of a pass rush. Marvin Lewis' defense in Baltimore was geared more to stopping the run anyway. We already have an excellent pass rushing LB in Lavar.

I'm not sure we can totally reconstruct Marvin's Baltimore defense without a big DT to keep O-linemen off Trotter. Hopefully we can sign Sam Adams.

I want us to sign a DT to pair with BDW also to allow our LBs to fly to the ball.

However what would happen if we acquire a DT who pentrates the O line the same as BDW?

Is that a bad thing or do we need the other DT to just occupy space and hold two O linemen?

well, from what I recall the Vikings released Terry Allen in 1995 over concerns about his knee surgeries and he came here and set the franchise record for rushing yardage in a season and had 2 1,200+ campaigns for us. :)

playing in the NFL is about pain. NOBODY is completely healthy and without some scars after suiting up over a number of years.

Joe Montana even at 29/30 had problems with arthritis and of couse his well-documented disk problems in his back.

He went on to win 2 more Super Bowls. :D

Let's face it.

This kind of scuttlebutt is being spread around because the Eagles are the league's darling team right now and no one wants to think that Andy Reid made a major mistake and that he might have been outmaneuvered by the Redskins, who seem to have been waiting on Trotter ever since last summer when Marty Schottenheimer was considering giving up 2 #1 picks to secure him as a restricted player.

Originally posted by NavyDave

His knees seem to have held up on the worst field in the league and he is now playing on one of the best

You're 100% right on that, NavyDave, good point. In fact, let's take a poll on Eagle players...How many had to ice their knees after playing on that field overall? I'd say quite a few.

Atlanta Skins Fan,

quote:

----------------------------------------------

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

That number is indicates how many more genuine (non-filler) posts Die Hard has to make before he can get rid of that icon.

----------------------------------------------

And what provoked the icon?

I provoked Die Hard's icon. He lost a bet with me. :laugh: The bet was one of us would have to wear a dress and be the other's "b!tch." He bet the Skins would stay put with the #18 pick, and I bet him they would trade down from the #18 spot.

And the rest is history. :rotflmao:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

The bet was one of us would have to wear a dress and be the other's "b!tch." He bet the Skins would stay put with the #18 pick, and I bet him they would trade down from the #18 spot.

And the rest is history. :rotflmao:

Funny. When did the bet take place? After Stallworth and Haynesworth went off the board, I was sure the Skins would trade down. But while those guys were still around, I figured the Skins would hold or trade up.

Geoff

Ever hear about Tre Johnson's bad knees?

Every hear about Michael Westbrook's bad knees?

Ever hear about Jim Lachey's bad knees?

how about Correl Buckhalter?

In this league it doesn't matter at all how bad your knees are until the big one hits. We could lose Trotter, or Arrington, or Chris Samuels in the pre-season. In fact, last year was a good year you can EXPECT a major season ending injury this year through the law of averages...

Trotter's a pro bowl player at 25. End of story.

In this league it doesn't matter at all how bad your knees are until the big one hits. We could lose Trotter, or Arrington, or Chris Samuels in the pre-season. In fact, last year was a good year you can EXPECT a major season ending injury this year through the law of averages...

I wouldnt say we had a good year when we lost our starting OLB, Shawn Barber, to a knee injury.

Archived