Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Troy Williamson....please check this guy out

GIBBS LIVES

I know alot of you guys like either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards but have you guys done some checking on Troy Williamson? This guy is a stud. 6-4...runs a 4.49 and has great hands. Good route runner and from reports has a great character.

I wouldn't mind having this guy on our team. Maybe we can trade down a spot or two and pick up a 2nd round pick and get Williamson.

Before you guys say no, can you please do a little research and check this guy out and I think you'll be as impressed as I am with him. He could be a steal. And lord knows, this year more then ever we need to hit on a steal or two.

Troy Williamson

Height: 6-2 Weight: 200

WR, South Carolina

War Room analysis

Strengths: Had his best season in 2004 with 43 catches, 835 yards and seven touchdowns. Is very athletic with blistering speed and good size. Can stretch the field and makes big plays. Is very steady and productive.

Weaknesses: Production dropped off in the second half. Has durability concerns because of past injuries.

Bottom line: He should land in Day 1.

Dan Pompei analysis

Speedster has great body control and hands. Makes a lot of plays. Is put together well.

News

Williamson, a junior, is giving up his final year of college to enter the '05 draft. Williamson led the SEC this season with 835 yards receiving, 75.9 yards per game.

It looked like Williamson had a chance to improve those totals if he came back since offensive whiz Steve Spurrier was named South Carolina coach last month. But, Williamson's high school coach says Spurrier's hiring did not sway Williamson much.

Williamson had 43 catches and seven touchdowns in 11 games for a 19.4 yards per catch average. He also returned seven punts for 150 yards, an average of 15 yards per attempt.

Williamson's 42 points were second on the team in scoring behind kicker Josh Brown's 57.

He had three catches for 131 yards and a touchdown against Georgia in a 20-16 loss Sept. 11, then exploded with five catches for 210 yards and three touchdowns of 55, 56 and 73 yards a week later in South Carolina's 34-3 thrashing of South Florida.

Williamson also had 105 yards on six catches in the Game****s' 17-7 victory over Troy and four catches for 74 yards and a touchdown in South Carolina's 31-28 loss to Ole Miss. He had six catched for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Game****s' 35-32 victory over Arkansas.

Williamson led the Game****s with 31 catches for 428 yards and two touchdowns in 2003.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2005/players/5054.html

In a trade down scenerio maybe...but not @ 9..only Edwards or Williams at 9.

I'm sure they will work plenty of players out, have thier people at the combines and make the best decision as to who can best help this team. Looking forward to it all. good post on all of the info.

Originally posted by GIBBS LIVES

I know alot of you guys like either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards but have you guys done some checking on Troy Williamson? This guy is a stud. 6-4...runs a 4.49 and has great hands. Good route runner and from reports has a great character.

I wouldn't mind having this guy on our team. Maybe we can trade down a spot or two and pick up a 2nd round pick and get Williamson.

Before you guys say no, can you please do a little research and check this guy out and I think you'll be as impressed as I am with him. He could be a steal. And lord knows, this year more then ever we need to hit on a steal or two.

I have done research, I think you need to as well. First off, he is 6'2" or 6'1" and 200 lbs., not 6'4".../but he is much faster, runs a 4.35 range, not 4.49...He had a 99-yard TD catch against Virginia in 2003. He is a plain burner...He will be off the board by late first round...as of now..

Originally posted by Sebowski

Never caught more than 6 balls in a game.

Only 3 100 yard games last year.

Not in the same league as Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.

-------

You have to take a look at the offense this guy was playing in also and that is a run first offense if there ever was one. Put Troy in a USC uniform and then Mike Williams or Edwards would not look so impressive. Saw this guy play and two things stand out. Very sure hands (upgrade from Gardner) very fast (upgrade from Coles with that toe). If we can trade down and pick him up and a second round pick (to try and get Baas) I would be very happy. Much happier than getting Edwards say with the 9th pick and nothing in the second.

My only fear with this guy is the injury concern (which I don't know enough about to really comment on) and the fact that he was in an option offense. It could be that his skills don't translate to a more traditional NFL offense. It could be that the option offense draws enough defenders near the line of scrimmage that every now and then they can chuck it deep to a burner like Troy and get a big gain... thus the high YPC.

On the other hand, he could be a stud, and the fact that people like Betts and Jacobs have been labeled injury prone on this board despite having extremely durable college years and only one injury in the pros makes me question the legitimacy of these injury concerns. I definitely am for trading down and picking up very good prospects at DE, WR, and maybe C. In which case Williamson might be a good pick.

If we want to get an injury prone player why not just pick up plaxico burress. That way we can save our 9th pick for something else. No offense but troy williamson does not look that great. Being fast is overated. We just need a guy who can catch and can produce. That is mike williams and braylon edwards. If were going to get a receiver with our #9 pick might as well get the best.

I like Williamson, but I think what we need more than anything else is a possession receiver. Gardner was supposed to have that role but he can't be counted on to make a catch at any given time, which is of course a problem. I think most of the people on this board want Williams or Edwards is because they are big targets and thus suitable to a possession role.

And the original post gets my vote for most instances of the word "guy(s)" for any post so far in 2005. ;)

Originally posted by Sebowski

I question a WR that put himself on an option team. Why didn;t the kid go to a passing school? Doesn't he want to be the best?

Sure he probably would have like that. But, maybe he lived near there, like the school, and he might not have been that highly recruited. He may have wanted to be the man and get more playing time. A lot of these "passing schools" don't have great receivers, they jsut put up numbers because of the offense. Maybe he wanted to go because of Lou Holtz...

Archived