Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

P.King take on Trade Portis-Bailey

afparent

THE TRADE, ONE YEAR LATER. From Brian Kirkmeyer, of Freehold, N.J.: "I'd like to hear your take on the Portis/Champ trade now that the season is over for both teams. I personally think the Redskins got the greater impact player in Portis. Besides, you can scheme to cover up a CB ... and Denver's season ended up just like last year's.''

Remember: The trade was Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and Tatum Bell, because the Broncos used the second-round pick acquired from Washington in the Portis trade to take Bell. I still think it's a better deal for Denver, even with Bailey's effectiveness quasi-neutered by the clarification of the five-yard bump zone at the line of scrimmage. He's still a good to very good player at a position where the Broncos were destitute.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/01/11/mmqb.te/index.html

Originally posted by Oldskool

I still think we got hosed by having to give up a 2nd round pick in that swap.

Yeah if anything WE should have gotten that 2nd rounder. Oh well, what's done is done. I still think its too early to assess this trade yet. After next year we will have a better idea of who got the better deal.

Originally posted by 1-2-3 times a loser

i think its a bad trade for both teams, teams have figured out though great in coverage Bailey is poor when thrown at, and Portis looks a system runningback

yes...because 1300 yards is a bad season...especially on an offense like ours...definately a system back...geesh....you must be another cowboy trolling over here cause your teams messaged boards suck...:doh:

you people who are sayin that we should have gotten the 2nd round pick are kinda admitting that Champ is better than portis...if you think that Portis made a bigger impact...then you should say that the trade was even...even though i would have preferred giving them champ and a later round draft pick instead of a 2nd....that was too much

I say we got the better end of the deal...I mean how many times did we see Champ smiling and slapping his hands together after he got burned this year? Quarterbacks were not afraid to go after him this year... And somehow I think Marvin Harrison's block on him will be played on many high-light films for many years to come.

Granted Portis had a few fumbles here and there but he was a constant threat and 1,300 yards is still 1,300 yards.

Originally posted by skns4life

happy B-day BRAVESONWARPATH!....its mine also but how come i dont get a little cake??:(

Go to USERCP & edit your birthday into your profile. ;)

:wish:

The cake icon lasts for the week on your b-day.

Funny how he mentions it was Tatum Bell and Bailey for Portis and not Portis and Springs!

As already mentioned, that's just silly.

For the record, I think Bell is going to be a big time back. He had a lot of injuries this season (and maybe that will haunt him his entire career), but if he stays healthy next season, I would expect him to go for 1,500 yards without question.

The games he played, he looked really good- can't compare to portis, but he looked much better than Droughns.

Archived