Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HOF Final 15 Announced!

afparent

Marino, Young among 15 finalists for Hall of Fame

Jan. 11, 2005

SportsLine.com wire reports

CANTON, Ohio -- Quarterbacks Dan Marino and Steve Young and wide receiver Michael Irvin were among 15 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced Tuesday.

Marino, who holds many of the NFL's career passing records, and Young, who led San Francisco to the 1994 NFL title, were among four finalists who made the list in their first year of eligibility.

The others were Irvin, a member of the Dallas teams that won three Super Bowls between 1992 and 1995, and the late Derrick Thomas, who played for Kansas City and died in 2000 of injuries suffered in an auto accident.

Two of the finalists had already been determined -- senior nominees Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman.

Pollard, who played in the 1920s, also was the first black to coach an NFL team. Friedman played for several teams between 1927 and 1934.

The other nominees were linebacker Harry Carson, who played for the New York Giants in the 1970s and 1980s and was a member of the 1986 NFL champions; defensive end Richard Dent, the MVP for the Chicago Bears in the Super Bowl following the 1985 season; defensive end L.C. Greenwood, a member of Pittsburgh's "Steel Curtain" teams of the 1970s; guard Russ Grimm, a member of Washington's famed "Hogs," defensive end Claude Humphrey, who played for Washington and Philadelphia between 1968-81; guard Bob Kuechenberg, who played on Miami's 1972 undefeated champions, wide receiver Art Monk, a member of three Super Bowl winners with Washington; Roger Wehrli, a cornerback for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1969-82; and the late George Young, who built two Super Bowl winners as general manager of the Giants.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8089116

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Originally posted by skinsfan51

Does anyone know how Michael Irvin's numbers match up with Monk's? I'm just curious.

Monk (224 games):

reg season: 940 12721 13.5 68

playoffs (15 games): 69 1062 15.3 7

Irvin: (159 games):

reg season: 750 11904 15.9 65

Playoffs (16 games): 87 1314 15.1 8

Some Irvin numbers.

July 15, 1996: Irvin pleads no contest to second-degree felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years' deferred probation, $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges against him.:D

I don't know who Benny Friedman was...but since he is a candidate for the Hall of Fame you would think they could have come up with something more significant than:

Friedman played for several teams between 1927 and 1934.

Wow! Really? SEVERAL teams? Amazing! :laugh:

Originally posted by Ax

Some Irvin numbers.

July 15, 1996: Irvin pleads no contest to second-degree felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years' deferred probation, $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges against him.:D

Thanks for the info AX :laugh:

Originally posted by Ax

Some Irvin numbers.

With numbers like that, the Coke Machine's a shoe-in.

:laugh:

Monk may have been just a 'posession' receiver, but he set many records in his career, and helped us win 3 super bowls and go to 4 I believe. Based on stats, Irvin does have an edge being in the league less and whatnot, but I thought the HoF is not about stats, but quality? Based on his stats, which are still impressive, and the things he did, he should be in. Irvin just talked more, and was part of the "America's Team" Cowboys in the early 90's, so more people have him fresh on their mind still, hence a popularity contest. Irvin should make it I guess, but not before Monk.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Monk may have been just a 'posession' receiver, but he set many records in his career, and helped us win 3 super bowls and go to 4 I believe. Based on stats, Irvin does have an edge being in the league less and whatnot, but I thought the HoF is not about stats, but quality? Based on his stats, which are still impressive, and the things he did, he should be in. Irvin just talked more, and was part of the "America's Team" Cowboys in the early 90's, so more people have him fresh on their mind still, hence a popularity contest. Irvin should make it I guess, but not before Monk.

One more important factor. Irvin had a HOF QB throwing to him. Monk had to adjust to at least 5 different QBs, none of them HOF material, during his tenure with the Skins.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

The fact that Irving is a "lock" disgusts me. I know that the NFL, unlike any other professional-team HOF only takes into account what a player did on the field but thats ridiculous.

To anyone with some power in media, the creators of this site, and anyone with more knowledge on the subject, WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET ART MONK IN THE HALL!?!?!?

It seems to me that getting even half of the people on this site together to make some noise could get recognized by the committee.

Irvin will get in Monk wont...Sadly the HOF is a popularity contest and a great career will not be recognized for what it is...

Monk isnt outspoken, he hasnt gotten into any trouble, he is a model citizen and retired as the all-time receptions leader...What more did he need to do to be a HOF....

If he doesnt get in or Grimm get in I say :finger: HOF!

Archived