Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty wins Coach of the year

afparent

NEW YORK (AP) - Marty Schottenheimer's guidance of one of the great turnarounds in NFL history won him The Associated Press 2004 NFL Coach of the Year award.

Schottenheimer took the San Diego Chargers from tailender to division champion, from a 4-12 embarrassment to a 12-4 power that was to host the New York Jets in a playoff game Saturday night. The 61-year-old, who also has worked in Cleveland, Kansas City and Washington, did his best work of an 18{-season head coaching career.

"There is a great sense of satisfaction when you're able to get things going in the right direction," said Schottenheimer, who received 27{ of the 48 votes from a national panel of writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. "I always pride myself on one thing - I think I'm a teacher. It's fun to see your players listen and work together to apply the basic philosophies and concepts that are important to success."

Many of Schottenheimer's team have done that. He's coached division winners in Cleveland, where he was the head man from mid-1984 through 1988. And in Kansas City (1989-98). He even had an 8-8 record in his one season in Washington, and considering how other Redskins coaches have done for owner Daniel Snyder, that was impressive, too.

But his third season in San Diego has been charmed. And perhaps a bit lucky, because Schottenheimer was looking for a different quarterback and hoped to go with first-round draft pick Phillip Rivers.

When Rivers held out for half of training camp, Schottenheimer stuck with Drew Brees. Brees wound up as Comeback Player of the Year and Schottenheimer became Coach of the Year for the first time.

His players say Schottenheimer's decision to form a players council and ease up in practices, as well as remodeling the locker room, made a big difference.

"I've seen it all year," said linebacker Donnie Edwards, who also played for Schottenheimer in Kansas City. "The way he's changed his coaching to understand the players and let the players understand the coaches - so it's a two-way street now.

"There are so many things that have changed. It's all been for the best. I'm really excited about him, because he came into the year with great enthusiasm and great energy and it transferred over right to us as players, and we've been able to translate that onto the field."

San Diego won nine of its last 10 games - the loss was in overtime at AFC South champion Indianapolis - to run away with the AFC West. Schottenheimer got superb performances from unheralded tight end Antonio Gates and star running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who both made the All-Pro team. Edwards was one of the league's best defenders, as was tackle Jamal Williams.

That made the 2004 season even more fulfilling for Schottenheimer.

"At the end of the day, there is more than just the personal enjoyment that you've experienced," he said. "It's as much, if not more so, the fact that you can share it will all these people that have worked together with you to achieve it."

Schottenheimer is the first San Diego coach to win the award. He was trailed by Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher (14{ votes), who led the Steelers to the league's best record, 15-1. Cowher won it in 1992.

Last year's winner, Bill Belichick of New England, got three votes. Atlanta's Jim Mora received two and Carolina's John Fox got one.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3306104

I haven't watched any Chargers games this season...but was the turnaround due primarily to Brees' performance, or was there a lot of other factors that played into their success?...Because if it WAS due significantly to the play of Brees, then in a very real way Marty got kinda lucky...afterall, they DID draft a QB high in the draft because they didn't believe Brees was the answer...

I would have picked Cowher...

Originally posted by HeHateMe

In all seriousness, and I'm not busting chops;

Does this sting at all?

Does it bother Skins fans at all?

I for one hate when someone underachieves in Dallas then succeeds elsewhere.

Thoughts?

It really doesn't sting.All it does is make you wonder,what might of been,if Marty remained as coach.Firing Marty I feel,was the biggest mistake that Snyder has made as owner,because they were on the way up at the time.

Nah. No problems with Marty going at the time. And congrats to him doing a great job in San Diego this season. Didn't look like it at the beginning, but with Brees coming into his own, the got it going and look at them now.

Originally posted by bwall-2

It really doesn't sting.All it does is make you wonder,what might of been,if Marty remained as coach.Firing Marty I feel,was the biggest mistake that Snyder has made as owner,because they were on the way up at the time.

I know this is a perfect opportunity for someone to make a hindsight observation,

BUT, the issues that Snyder had with Marty was not his coaching ability at all and has stated that numerous times. Rather, Snyder wanted Marty to coach and someone else to be GM and someone other than Jimmy Raye to be offensive coordinator, all which is now the case with Marty in San Diego.

Add to that, he has LT, Brees has come around and he doesn't have the run most of the time offense.

Originally posted by afparent

Many of Schottenheimer's team have done that. He's coached division winners in Cleveland, where he was the head man from mid-1984 through 1988. And in Kansas City (1989-98). He even had an 8-8 record in his one season in Washington, and considering how other Redskins coaches have done for owner Daniel Snyder, that was impressive, too.

Ouch, that was quite a stab at the DC team.

Originally posted by jimster

I know this is a perfect opportunity for someone to make a hindsight observation,

BUT, the issues that Snyder had with Marty was not his coaching ability at all and has stated that numerous times. Rather, Snyder wanted Marty to coach and someone else to be GM and someone other than Jimmy Raye to be offensive coordinator, all which is now the case with Marty in San Diego.

Add to that, he has LT, Brees has come around and he doesn't have the run most of the time offense.

I don't care how you put it.It still was a mistake to fire him.

it was a mistake to let him be GM. He's not the GM now, he doesn't have Jimmy Raye now, he doesn't have the" pass only when you have to- Marty-Ball" mentality, thus, he's winning now.

All in all, I'm glad we've ended up with the guy we have now.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

In all seriousness, and I'm not busting chops;

Does this sting at all?

Does it bother Skins fans at all?

I for one hate when someone underachieves in Dallas then succeeds elsewhere.

Thoughts?

It would have stung more if Spurrier was here. I look at it like this. If Marty was not fired immediately, Gibbs might not be with the team right now. I'd take Gibbs over Marty anyday.

Anyways, he does deserve it this year and I think they will do some damage in the playoffs.

I encourage those of you discounting what Marty has done to stop it. Whatever the case, the man has turned around a bad franchise and has gotten the Chargers into the playoffs -- as a division winner no less. And how those of you can equate your animosity towards Marty to your animosity for Dallas baffles me.

And, by the way, Spurrier wasn't the best, but don't make him the scapegoat for all of the team's exisiting problems. There is, and has been, talent on the team for the last several years. At some point, the players need to start looking at themselves in the mirror. And, the fans need to start holding the players and their big, fat contracts accountable.

Archived