Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP On Smoot

heyholetsgogrant

$4 million? That sounds like the hypothetical $10m versus $4m that people have been throwing around. Probably worth $10m, definately not worth $14m. No one will give him that much, I don't think, so we do have a bit of leverage here. The thing that worries me is he'll balk on $10m, but take $11-12m elsewhere when he realizes he can't get $14.

We'll see what happens. I still think it'll work out somehow.

Nick

Like most everyone else on this board, I want Smoot re-signed.

But not at the completely UNREASONABLE price he seems to want.

And when I say "price", I just don't mean his contract demand. I also mean the price of having to let other contributrs on this team go if the Redskins gave him a near Champ Bailey size contract.

Champ Bailey isn't worth the money Champ Bailey got. :)

And niether is Smoot.

Skins Guy

Originally posted by heyholetsgogrant

Poeple were talking ealry about how he is becomming injury prone, IMO i agree completely, hes been getting injuried alot as of late. But I understand skins fans will start to downgrade a player if their on the way out. Also, their are some good FA CB such as Ken Lucas and Andre Dyson.

Smoot missed one game per season the last two years, I wouldn't call that injury prone! He has also played throught the pain.

I love Smoot, he plays with heart and passion and has the type of attitude where when he gets beat, he makes him try harder BUT no player is bigger than the Redskins and Smoot should not be overpaid if it is going to cost us other players or set a higher bar for other guys.

Antonio Pierce is more important than Smoot to this D and a more important guy to resign IMO although I would hate to see Smoot leave.

Business is business though........

Corners are not going to get the deals LAW & BAILEY received due to the league emphasis on illegal conduct. The day of the shutdown corner is over, and so is the shutdown corner payday. If Smoot wants to be a 'Skin he'll take the offer. If not he's free to go. He wants more money than Springs. He didn't play better than Springs so he needs to fallback or roll-out. If he's still communicating with Champ he should know how poorly Champ's season has gone. Everyone is starting to say the 'Skins got the better of the trade and week after week we see Champ stumbling or falling enroute to giving up a major gain for a TD.

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

Corners are not going to get the deals LAW & BAILEY received due to the league emphasis on illegal conduct. The day of the shutdown corner is over, and so is the shutdown corner payday. If Smoot wants to be a 'Skin he'll take the offer. If not he's free to go. He wants more money than Springs. He didn't play better than Springs so he needs to fallback or roll-out. If he's still communicating with Champ he should know how poorly Champ's season has gone. Everyone is starting to say the 'Skins got the better of the trade and week after week we see Champ stumbling or falling enroute to giving up a major gain for a TD.

If anything, the league emphasis on illegal contact is going to force teams to overpay more for defensive ends who can provide a pass rush.

Originally posted by SkinsGuy

Like most everyone else on this board, I want Smoot re-signed.

But not at the completely UNREASONABLE price he seems to want.

And when I say "price", I just don't mean his contract demand. I also mean the price of having to let other contributrs on this team go if the Redskins gave him a near Champ Bailey size contract.

bro you hit the nail on the head. i don't blame Smoot on trying to get paid as much as he can get - afterall the NFL is still a business. i love the guy's heart and he's a leader on the field but it wouldn't be in the best interest of the redskins to pay him top dollar. better to spend the $ on a D lineman. constant pressure on the QB can make up for losing Smoot.

I have always loved Smoot and his intensity/energy that he brings to the defense.

I think he is turning into a very, very good corner (probably a top 10-12 corner in the NFL) ..... but w/the cap and all the FA's we have to resign... I dont want to overpay for him.

He's deserves a big contract but I would rather another team pay it then us...unless we can work something out that is cap friendly and the front office is alright with.

Originally posted by ramseyskins

I've said it before: whatever difference there is in Smoot's desired signing bonus and the actual signing bonus offered by the Redskins, this difference should be paid by Brunell.

hahaha, agreed, one can dream cant they?

Anyways, 4 million should not make a difference if you claim you want to remain a skin for life. Springs got 10 million, and I say he performed just as good as Smoot, if not better.

I think we will have to get used to Smoot in a different uniform. I really am starting to dislike athletes who say they want to remain on a team forever, but then complain for an additional 4 million more. I gotta hand it to the Eagles FO for being able to sign their corners to modest deals, and their players for wanting to remain in Philly. Why would they want to remain there I dont quite understand, but whatever.

Originally posted by ramseyskins

I've said it before: whatever difference there is in Smoot's desired signing bonus and the actual signing bonus offered by the Redskins, this difference should be paid by Brunell.

ha! that would be HILARIOUS! :laugh:

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

I disagree with you about the value for CB's going down because of the new enforcement of the 'illegal contact" rules.

If anything, the demand for good corners who have more than adequate cover skills are going to go up.

I am a smoot fan as well but anything over $11 million is too much. The only danger in letting smoot go is if something happens to springs next season. We would be stuck with (the exception of harris) an inexperienced secondary. However on defense i think the priority should be pierce and the d line. If we lose smoot go after a good pass rushing end. We should be able to get a second for gardner from either san diego or kc. Kc has had terrible luck drafting receivers (sylvester morris, snoop minus?).

i hate to say this guys but i think gibbs or snyders love for brunell might cause us to lose smoot. If we didnt have such a raging hardon for brunell we might have had the cap room to pay smoot the money he deserves.

I just hope it doesnt cost us free agents that we would need.

Today's athlete tends to hold a grudge. If we end up increasing the offer to $11 million and he balks and continues to search for $14 million and doesn't get it, what do you think he'll do if someone else offers him that same $11 million? It turns into a pride thing. He can't turn down $11 million here and then turn around and accept it because he "loses face". If he hits the open market, I think he's as good as gone. :(

Archived