Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP On Smoot

heyholetsgogrant

Very few on this board or across the Skiis nation WANT Smoot to be anywhere else next year. But we must look at the big picture.....and who else on the defense must be signed. I believe the $14 is too steep.

Although he is one of the top CBs, that price would confine us in other areas that are so needy. We have to look toward the TEAM and what other positions must be cemented.

Blondie

Originally posted by ramseyskins

I've said it before: whatever difference there is in Smoot's desired signing bonus and the actual signing bonus offered by the Redskins, this difference should be paid by Brunell.

:D I think if this were possible, it should happen!

Originally posted by GoSkinsGo

I agree completely he's worth 10-12M but not 14M. Especially if it costs you more of the players on this D. I love that guy to death one of my favorite Redskins but you'd think he'd learn after the way they played without LaVar.

Notsure I get this logic. Hes worth 10 to 12 but not 14. Is there really a difference here. If they want him, he will stay.

ever since danny has taken over this team we've been dealing with this every off season...we over pay free agents on a regular basis. if i was fred smoot and watched them over pay for everyone else while i quietly busted my a$$ for the skins, i would want to be overpaid too. if we let him walk we will overpay a free agent anyway, and you can see where thats gotten us...lets try rewarding our own for their efforts. i agree that 14 is too much but if we dont offer him more than we did springs who had never bled the burgundy and gold...that is just wrong!!!

I'd love to see Smoot stay- but the Redskins have offered him money to be the top 10 CB's ($$ wise) but he's turned it down.

We have to keep money to get other FAs pay draft picks.

I hope to see #21 here next year, but if he's got to go (to get the big money) then I wish him luck elsewhere (Hopefully not in Dallas, NY or Philly:) )

I would hate to let Smoot go, but it makes financial sense. We're not exactly hurting in the secondary. We have four capable safeties and Shawn Springs. Harris is a very good 3rd corner and Wilds looked pretty good at the end of the year.

For the money Smoot wants, we could get a solid replacement, plus a good center and guard to replace Raymer and Dockery. I would hate to see such a good guy leave, but this is the reality of today's NFL. Hopefully we can resign Pierce to a reasonable deal.

Think it's silly for anyone to say that the new DB rules regarding contact have anything to do with being a "shutdown corner."

As much as it pains me to say, Slime Time in his prime would still be the top "shutdown corner" today under these rules.

The term "shutdown corner" has been abused for too long. There have been only 4 other "shutdown corners in the history of the league in my opinion:

Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977

Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983

Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978

Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989

They would all be considered shutdown in today's rule structure.

Darrell Green was at many times at their level. He was clearly not a physical "press" or bump and run CB and the new rules would have had no impact on his performance. Darrell had the makeup speed to compensate for flaws in his technique.

Slime Time had the technique that the HOF CBs above had PLUS the makeup speed of Darrell PLUS the ability to turn INTs into TDs that nobody else ever had. His play against the run clearly downgrades his overall rating as an all-time CB vs. the HOFers but it;s still close to impossible to say he wasnt the best shutdown corner ever.

Slime Time was the NFL version of "the Glove" - he not only played pass defense at a level no other has but he also made every pass in his direction a potental turnover layup.

Anyway, just suggesting we don't abuse the term.

Archived