Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins rusher not seeking quiet offseason

skins0128

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1958787

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Look out, Miami. Clinton Portis' plans for the offseason sound like trouble.

Clinton Portis

Portis

"To live like I ain't never lived before," the Washington Redskins running back said. "If y'all see me in the news, and I make the news for something that I ain't got no business making it for, don't bash me. Say it was a young guy living."

Portis, perhaps the most flamboyant player on the team, said he plans to deal with his rough season by hitting the beach at his Florida home.

"I'm too young to be stressed out," Portis said.

Portis, 23, said his 1,315 yards this season were "real tough yards" as he adjusted his slashing running style to an offense more suited for a power running back.

"I had to adjust. I had to switch up and become a big back," Portis said.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Portis' year compared favorably to John Riggins' best season in the 1980s.

"He is plenty strong enough. He can do everything," Gibbs said of Portis. "He can run inside, outside, he's a good pass receiver. He's a 1,300-yard back in this league in a year that we struggled. Does he have to be anything he's not? No."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1958787

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Look out, Miami. Clinton Portis' plans for the offseason sound like trouble.

"To live like I ain't never lived before," the Washington Redskins running back said. "If y'all see me in the news, and I make the news for something that I ain't got no business making it for, don't bash me. Say it was a young guy living."

Portis, perhaps the most flamboyant player on the team, said he plans to deal with his rough season by hitting the beach at his Florida home.

"I'm too young to be stressed out," Portis said.

Portis, 23, said his 1,315 yards this season were "real tough yards" as he adjusted his slashing running style to an offense more suited for a power running back.

"I had to adjust. I had to switch up and become a big back," Portis said.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Portis' year compared favorably to John Riggins' best season in the 1980s.

"He is plenty strong enough. He can do everything," Gibbs said of Portis. "He can run inside, outside, he's a good pass receiver. He's a 1,300-yard back in this league in a year that we struggled. Does he have to be anything he's not? No."

Originally posted by OWUeagleMD

This seems like a pretty typical ESPN move. Make a big deal out of an absolute non-story.

What the hell? These are young men with loads of money. Is it really a "news story" that they party in the offseason?

I hate ESPN.

Did you read the first line of the article? It's written by the Associated Press, not ESPN. ESPN.com publishes the sports stories available on the AP wire. ESPN had no input into the article.

Originally posted by 5Arrington6

Like Joe Gibbs said, "Just dont embarrass the team"

Bingo!

The only thing about that article that bothered me, is he sounds like he plans to make some headlines this offseason.

Wants people to just chalk it up to being young. :paranoid:

Its one thing to party it up during the offseason, its another to end up in the headlines for dumb****.

Its the ESPN effect.

News stories like this began when ESPN made sports a 24 hour news story.

There isn't enough news to talk about in the daily sports world, so nothing stories like this become topics on Around the Horn, PTI, Sportscenter or whatever.

Relax... I'm supporting your player right now.

Archived