Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better offseason pick up Portis or Springs?

prophet

wow , well id have to still say portis cuz he is gonna be a staple on this offense and he ran for over 1300 yards in a HORRIBLE offense , but i almost feel guilty cuz springs deserves so much credit for the year he has had ..... can it be a tie??

In terms of value, definitely Springs. Yes Portis is very good, but he isn't a great value when you consider his $17m SB and what we gave up for him. I'd have just as soon traded our 2nd to Cinci for Dillon or signed Staley and then traded Champ for a 1st rounder.

This may sound funny but Portis had the most Quiet 1300 yds I've ever seen. I'll cut him a little slack because the lack of complimenting passing game. We've all said on this forum before. "Portis doesn't seem to fit Gibb's system." Gibbs in the past has been good at implementing an offense to compliment a players abilities. Hopefully next year will be the same.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

In terms of value, definitely Springs. Yes Portis is very good, but he isn't a great value when you consider his $17m SB and what we gave up for him. I'd have just as soon traded our 2nd to Cinci for Dillon or signed Staley and then traded Champ for a 1st rounder.

Amen brother. I agree with the 2nd rounder for Dillon and getting at leat a 1st rounder for Champ. The scenario woulda been much better Cap wise and draft pick wise.

^^ maybe we woulda been better off getting dillon or something , but even with dillon this year we would be about the same recordwise and next year dillon will just be a year older while portis will be ..24? i think portis is gonna be a record breaking back if we just get a line and a passing game so in the long run i think portis is a better pickup than springs cuz he can give us more years than springs ....but thats the long run

I know ya'll will say springs, but he has a lot to work with on his side of the ball. Without an offensive line, Portis is pretty powerless. Ha, even powerless he had 1300 yard season. Trust me, once he gets the kinda support Springs has, it'll be obvious who the better pickup is. :)

All of our FA's were excellent except MB. We will do more of the same in 2005 and beef up this OL. Gibbs understands CP more and will develop the new line around his strengths. I thought that Portis is a very tough back for his size. He his much better than Betts ever thought about being; although, I like having Betts as our #2.

Originally posted by TLusby

All of our FA's were excellent except MB. We will do more of the same in 2005 and beef up this OL. Gibbs understands CP more and will develop the new line around his strengths. I thought that Portis is a very tough back for his size. He his much better than Betts ever thought about being; although, I like having Betts as our #2.

I know he was hurt, but Barrow didn't even play.

He gets a pass, but it still has to be factored in somewhat.

And didnt Ralph Brown get cut?

Originally posted by Riggotoni

Diddo

I thnk this year, Shawn Springs hands down. However I had to qualify that by saying "this year", because Clinton was handicapped by other things on that side of the ball. I think next year we see the "true" CP. Hell, 1300+ ain't half bad, but there's bigger things to come.:cheers:

Springs by a mile, he played his position better, not to mention he was a far better value. Springs might have been the steal of the offseason considering what cb's with lesser performance this year received. (Bailey & Winfield come to mind)

Had to be Portis. Springs was good for us too, but the difference between last year and this year (besides our record) was we kept the drive alive, portis definetly provided a running game, and that kept our defense on the sidelines a little longer keeping them rested and contributed to a solid D...

I don't see how a clear evaluation can be given since we've only seen year one of both players in the burgundy and gold. Speaking for this season, I still say Portis. I can't imagine how horrible this offense would've been if the threat of his abilities wasn't in the backfield and Brunell was still starting.

Archived