Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Need a Quarterback

NEEDAQB

Originally posted by goldenster95

Man, you are truly dense.

Did you not see my qualifier "most of the time" at the end of the my point about the four WR set?

He can make the offense less conservative by, as an example, going downfield more often and not being the anti-Spurrier by getting Ramsey to start checking off witht he shallowest receiver there is.

going down feild more often? Yes Ramsey has really shown trust he can go downfeild and make smart decesions. Gibbs told him o take a shot for a TD vs Philly if it not there throw it away. He just threw the ball in front of two philly defenders in the end zone

What coach would go down feild? After you see that

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Agreed, Jaws says a few things nice about the Skins, and now he is some kind of football guru. Give it up.

He blows....

Yeah, Jaws is a blow-hard right.

Vet QB for several years in the NFL.

Led the Iggles to Superbowl XIV.

Breaks down film and is considered one of the best evaluators of QB talent around.

Still loves the Iggles.

What was I thinking quoting him?

Originally posted by NEEDAQB

ok sorry. I mean accuracy in the vertical passing game . THE FACT IS he is 1- 11 on the road. He is leading the worse offense in the NFL. DID HEATH SHULER PLAY A FULL SEASON? No you do not play full seasons when you stink.

1. On the Road:

He's beaten Tenn., Atl., and San Fran

He's lost to Green Bay, Philly, Buff., Dallas (....), Carolina (who went to the SB that year), and Pitts.

Those aren't exactly chump teams he's lost to (expect Dallas :doh: )

2. The offense was bad before Ramsey was put in.

3. ?

2002 - He was a rookie and wasn't supposed to play at all.

2003 - He season was cut short by our offensive line

2004 - For reasons unknown Brunell was kept in. Do you think Gibbs named him the starter for next season because he stinks?

Gibbs doesn't trust Ramsey? Yeah, well I guess that's why he named him as starting QB for next year.

Stevie Wonder could see that he is the best QB on this team RIGHT NOW. That is not what this debate is about. It is about Ramsey not being enough.

The only reason why Gibbs is going slowly with Ramsey is to allow him to develop.

WHO, besides people on this board, and people in the media, have said that Gibbs is going slowly with Ramsey?

I'd really like to see or hear the sound file?

going down feild more often? Yes Ramsey has really shown trust he can go downfeild and make smart decesions. Gibbs told him o take a shot for a TD vs Philly if it not there throw it away. He just threw the ball in front of two philly defenders in the end zone

What coach would go down feild? After you see that

Ummmmmm, how many times did Ramsey go downfield with Spurrier's offense before D-Coors started to figure his offense out? During that time, Ramsey was lighting it up, so much so that he was the NFL's Player of the Week one week if not two.

And while Ramsey did make a mistake on that throw in the end zone, think about the fact that he had us in the game for all that time, dude.

Stevie Wonder could see that he is the best QB on this team RIGHT NOW. That is not what this debate is about. It is about Ramsey not being enough.

WHO, besides people on this board, and people in the media, have said that Gibbs is going slowly with Ramsey?

I'd really like to see or hear the sound file?

As to your first point, that blow-hard Jaws says that Ramsey is the man. But I guess Jaws doesn't know squat, right?

As to your second point, have you watched any of our games? Have you listened to what some of the sportscasters have been saying? Have you also tuned in to others like Sonny and listened to what he's said?

Interesting scenario, we want to get rid of Brunell but we cant afford to. Believe it or not but Brunell still has hopes of being our starting QB again and you keep hearing Gibbs say that Brunells chapter here is not over yet. As scary as it sounds, Brunell has leverage on the team " You cant cut me, Ill cost you too much money for that, I admit I haven't played any where near worth over 40 million but I may be willing to take a pay cut and help the team free up some cap space for people like Smoot and Pierce and that horrific offensive line, but I want to be the starter next year in exchange". Is that an offer we cant refuse??? Im talking a significant pay cut here one that could free up some much needed money!

jaws said Redskins should draft Winslow instead of Taylor. He said Lavar Arrington is the most overrated player in the NFL. his picks have been terrible on espn .com. Come on.

Jaws is an offensive guy, of COURSE he was rooting for the 'Skins to pick Winslow! A lot of folks were pretty torn between Winslow and Taylor, so this isn't anything astounding. Come on!

Well, if Jaws said that Arrington was overrated, it is an opinion that some on this board have shared. While I love the guy, I do think he is a bit overrated...for now. Let him return fully healthy and in Williams' system, and we'll see LaVar like we've never seen him before. That is what it takes to change the minds of pundits.

BTW, I found this gem while doing a Google: http://www.houstonprofootball.com/chair/arm10.html

It is a little OT, but still an amusing read.

Lets look at it this way

The only guy on the offense and the coaching staff that has not proven they can have a good year is Ramsey. ENOUGH SAID

Oh okay.

I'll foward your comments on to Jaworksi and tell him that he's dead wrong.

LOL.

Too bad Ramsey didn't have a full year to play. Rookie season: he wasn't supposed to play at all. Second season: he ends up getting hurt and can't play. This season: he ends up sitting for Brunell.

i never said he is heath Shuler. But as far as offensive production goes. About the same. Could it get any worse?

Shuler

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Passing | Rushing |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

|+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| TOTAL | 29 | 292 593 49.2 3691 6.2 15 33 | 67 198 1 |

Ramsey

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Passing | Rushing |

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| TOTAL | 29 | 448 810 55.3 5154 6.4 31 27 | 37 81 2 |

Over twice the TD's and fewer int's...that is far from the same production.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Drew Brees didn't look to good last year either. Ramsey will be fine we need to be patient and get a decent OL.

We need a center. With Jansen returning, we're looking pretty good. The only other thing we need to determine is if Dockery is the guy for LG.

Anything for an old compatriot, Goldy. :-)

BTW, I don't think Heath measures up that well to Ramsey. I can recall screaming at the TV a lot more during Heath's tenure than when I watch Ramsey. Heh.

Also, Ramsey HAS produced good games and to say that he hasn't shown any offensive capability isn't quite on the mark. It is very simple: Ramsey needs an entire season before we can see what he can do. If he shows little in the next season, or two, than you may be correct. But we won't know that, will we, until that time.

All we are saying, is give Pat a chance!

Originally posted by Baculus

Anything for an old compatriot, Goldy. :-)

BTW, I don't think Heath measures up that well to Ramsey. I can recall screaming at the TV a lot more during Heath's tenure than when I watch Ramsey. Heh.

Also, Ramsey HAS produced good games and to say that he hasn't shown any offensive capability isn't quite on the mark. It is very simple: Ramsey needs an entire season before we can see what he can do. If he shows little in the next season, or two, than you may be correct. But won't know that, will we, until that time.

All we are saying, is give Pat a chance!

Right backatcha, Bac.

I remember when Shuler was in camp and how Sonny was saying, ever so politely, that Heath didn't look like he'd be a pro QB and how Gus was actually the front runner in the QB competition. Suffice it to say that Sonny isn't saying that about Ramsey.

As to your first point, that blow-hard Jaws says that Ramsey is the man. But I guess Jaws doesn't know squat, right?

Not when it comes to Ramsey, nope.

As to your second point, have you watched any of our games?

From 1978 to 1991 I never missed a single game at home, I was at every game. My father was a die hard fan, and I was raised that same way. After 91 before the NFL network came out, a buddy of mine would send me a VHS tape weekly. Since the ticket, I have not missed a game.

Have you listened to what some of the sportscasters have been saying? Have you also tuned in to others like Sonny and listened to what he's said?

I don't much care for all the media hype. I watch the games, and try to enjoy them. I every so often catch Joe Jacoby's show on Sportstalk 980.

If Ramsey played this whole season the team would be 5-11 like they are now. He has not done worse then Brunell. But he has not done better either

And i would try to trade for Breese. A proven young QB who Gibbs does not have to wait on. The team needs to win now before we have to cut guys because of the cap.

Before this season, his 4th, Brees numbers were the same as Ramsey's. Gee, next season will be Ramsey's 4th. We can't afford Brees anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/WAS/2004/regular

Ramsey's stats are clearly better than Brunell's

And just looking at starts giving a young starter a little prep time), the divide is even greater...

125 of 191 = 65.4% completion

6/5 TD/TO ratio

I'm not as sold on PR as maybe I used to be, but it's obvious that the team needs OL and WR help to make any QB effective.

I stopped reading this thread after this comment.

How much time can Gibbs give him? Gibbs is not 35 he is 64. He was brought here to win now.

NeedaQB,

Your wear your ignorance on your sleeve. Gibbs was brought in to rebuild this organization. "Winning Now" was a fantasy born of ridiculous expections of a team that has been a loser for over a decade. Gibbs is a winner who understands how to put together winning organizations. Ramsey hasn't had a chance to prove anything yet. I think he has a chance to be great, but he could turn out to be a bust. I'm certainly not willing to see them go get a new QB that will be another unknown commodity. That makes absolutely no sense.

OMFG.

First of all, Jaws is a QB expert. And he completely disagrees with you. But I guess you've got better credentials than Jaws, whose played several years in the NFL, taken a team to the Super Bowl, and now breaks down film every week for ESPN.

Second, as for Brunell, you're making crap up again. There were plenty of people questioning the Brunell acquisition.

Believe it or not,but I've probably have seen Ramsey play more than he has.Don't give me this expert crap because a lot of "experts"claimed Spurrier would suceed in the NFL.A lot of "experts"claimed Champ Bailey to be a shutdown corner.Like I said before,there is no experts,just a lot of people that like to talk.

I want to see what's important like w vs l ratio. That's all that matters here.

I brought this point up in a thread comparing Ramsey to Big Ben a couple weeks ago, but the point was lost with many of the posters there as well:doh:

Giving Ramsey more time to develop into what many posters here think is a Pro Bowler is only part of the issue. The main issue here is that Gibbs either doesn't trust Ramsey enough with the ball, or our o-line REALLY is that bad. I would speculate that Gibbs knows more about Ramsey than anyone here.:laugh:

He has watched tape of his past two years under Spurrier, and knows that Ramsey has a gun for an arm. Gibbs knows that Pat has the ability to throw the ball down the field. So what would make Gibbs pull back the offense on him and only run hitch patterns, curl routes and quick slants?????

Most of this thread is speculation because we really don't know the real reason behind this "dumbed down" offense. I'm sure part of it is Ramsey's development, but I think most of it boils down to lack of offensive line. Gibbs isn't used to working with half steppers and dead beats like Dockery and Raymer. It's safe to say the interior of our line sucks ass. Thomas is good, but with two weak links like Dock and Raymer opposing defenses can abuse the hell out of the both of them, regardless of Ramsey's ability.

The bottom line is that Ramsey can only work with what Gibbs gives him. Gibbs is running super conservative offense right now largely in part because of our oline. Keep in mind Gibbs had the Hogs back in the glory years. This group is NOTHING in comparison. The few times Gibbs has let the leash out so to speak Ramsey either makes a bad decision with the ball or throws it away.

I honestly don't think we need another QB. This team needs consitency and improved oline play. Consider this for a moment if you will.

Transplant the Hogs into our current team.

Imagine Portis running behind Jacoby and Grimm:D

Imagine Ramsey in a perfectly formed pocket with more than 2-3 seconds to throw the ball.

I realize that "some" of the blame needs to be put on Ramsey's shoulders, but I truly believe that our current oline needs to shoulder alot of the blame. These are the same guys that Spurrier had and our record was the same:doh:

We don't need a QB, we need better play up front.

Not when it comes to Ramsey, nope.

From 1978 to 1991 I never missed a single game at home, I was at every game. My father was a die hard fan, and I was raised that same way. After 91 before the NFL network came out, a buddy of mine would send me a VHS tape weekly. Since the ticket, I have not missed a game.

I don't much care for all the media hype. I watch the games, and try to enjoy them. I every so often catch Joe Jacoby's show on Sportstalk 980.

I see. So Jaws disagrees with you, and he's garbage. Gotcha.

If you haven't missed any games and have listened to what others have been saying about Ramsey, you'll see what we're all talking about here.

If you remember, Sonny panned Shuler before the dude took a snap in the NFL. In stark contrast, he's been pretty complimentary of Ramsey.

Originally posted by bwall-2

Believe it or not,but I've probably have seen Ramsey play more than he has.Don't give me this expert crap because a lot of "experts"claimed Spurrier would suceed in the NFL.A lot of "experts"claimed Champ Bailey to be a shutdown corner.Like I said before,there is no experts,just a lot of people that like to talk.

Uh huh.

This is the proverbial waving of the white flag.

Yeah, Jaws knows nothing. Neither does Sonny.

And your point on Spurrier, like just about everyone of your other points, is off base. Most "experts" pointed out that Spurrier wouldn't succeed, citing to the track record of coaches who jumped from the college ranks to the NFL.

And I'll take Jaws opinion over yours anyday, unless you can prove to me that you've got more cred than him.

I see. So Jaws disagrees with you, and he's garbage. Gotcha.

If you haven't missed any games and have listened to what others have been saying about Ramsey, you'll see what we're all talking about here.

If you remember, Sonny panned Shuler before the dude took a snap in the NFL. In stark contrast, he's been pretty complimentary of Ramsey.

i now realize the difference between fan sites and basic fans. Fans on this site are the utimate homers and do not look at football objectivly. The redskins could be 5-10 with worse offense and best defense in the NFL. And people on fan sites will swear to you everything if fine.

But what i do no understand is how do you guys stay homers? Nobody belives the homer excuses other then other homer fans.

Well i do not understand it. But i wont try to change you guys

Archived