Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Need a Quarterback

NEEDAQB

Originally posted by skinsnatsfan

Short and to the point. Joe Gibbs and the Washington Redskins will be going into next season with Patrick Ramsey as the starting quarterback. Not really rocket science is it.

Amen, That raps this one up with a nice big bow on top. Anything else afterwards is wasted breath.

Originally posted by goldenster95

Uh huh.

This is the proverbial waving of the white flag.

Yeah, Jaws knows nothing. Neither does Sonny.

And your point on Spurrier, like just about everyone of your other points, is off base. Most "experts" pointed out that Spurrier wouldn't succeed, citing to the track record of coaches who jumped from the college ranks to the NFL.

And I'll take Jaws opinion over yours anyday, unless you can prove to me that you've got more cred than him.

Theae guys are not going to be criticle of another QB.Aikman says the same thing they say about Ramsey.Oh yeah,Aikman is a former QB also.And you're wrong,the shows I was watching,praised the hiring of Spurrier.

Originally posted by NEEDAQB

i now realize the difference between fan sites and basic fans. Fans on this site are the utimate homers and do not look at football objectivly. The redskins could be 5-10 with worse offense and best defense in the NFL. And people on fan sites will swear to you everything if fine.

But what i do no understand is how do you guys stay homers? Nobody belives the homer excuses other then other homer fans.

Well i do not understand it. But i wont try to change you guys

Fans on this site are, for the most part, intelligent and literate and have some basic grasp of the English language.

Yes, some of the comments made here are hued with varying degrees of homerism. But to say that Ramsey is the fault for most if not all of the offensive woes is abjectly ludicrous. And, contrary to your errant observation, most others here have noted that something is wrong with the offense, that being (i) a bad gameplan by Gibbs, (ii) poor o-line play (which is the subject of today's WP article), and (iii) and WRs dropping balls.

NEEDAQB, you JUST registered on this board, and because everyone isn't jumping onto your "Get rid of Ramsey!" thread and idea, we are homers? Me thinks you need to stick around first to read some of the battles waged on this war over some of our players. And I would suggest you stick around more and do some reading before making the cliched pronouncement that some folks are homers if they don't agree with you. (Just like some of us have to make sure we don't use the "You aren't a real fan of the team" if you don't agree with us either.)

It comes down to this: Your call to get rid of Ramsey shows that you don't trust Gibbs' ability to "coach up" Ramsey, improve the OL, and modify his system during the offseason. Your suggestion to explore other QB possibilities is just as much of a judgement on Gibbs as it is on Ramsey. This isn't to say that a switch to change QB's shouldn't be analyzed, but I think you have to think about the entire issue before making a conclusive analysis.

It can be generally agreed that Ramsey has not played up to a pro-bowl level thus far. But it cannot be generally agreed that he is a bust, since he is still too young, hasn't had the chance to play a full season, and needs some help from his OL before we can make any final decisions. And I am sure Gibbs is thinking the same thing when he makes his final decision.

i now realize the difference between fan sites and basic fans. Fans on this site are the utimate homers and do not look at football objectivly. The redskins could be 5-10 with worse offense and best defense in the NFL. And people on fan sites will swear to you everything if fine.

But what i do no understand is how do you guys stay homers? Nobody belives the homer excuses other then other homer fans.

I love the complete assumption that you're entirely right here. It's not being a homer to hope for the best for the Skins. Being a homer is expecting that Brunell will be great as the starter next year, or that Portis will get 3500 yards rushing next year.

Originally posted by bwall-2

Theae guys are not going to be criticle of another QB.Aikman says the same thing they say about Ramsey.Oh yeah,Aikman is a former QB also.And you're wrong,the shows I was watching,praised the hiring of Spurrier.

Huh?

Are you listening and reading, man?

Sonny Jurgensen was a former QB. He was a former 'Skins QB. He was also an announcer hired by the 'Skins when Shuler made his ignominous entry into the annals of 'Skins lore.

What did Sonny, a paid 'Skins employee, say about Shuler, before Heath even took a snap? He said that, based on his camp alone, Shuler didn't have it.

As for Spurrier coming here, what shows are you talking about? I'd love to hear who those folks were. Sure, some said that he might be able to make it. But most others said that he'd follow in the footsteps of most other college football coaches like Lou Holtz. The only distingiushing factor was the fact that Spurrier coached in the USFL and actually had success there.

Originally posted by bwall-2

Theae guys are not going to be criticle of another QB.Aikman says the same thing they say about Ramsey.Oh yeah,Aikman is a former QB also.

So it takes a fan who hasn't played on the proffesional level to see what's good or bad, while people who have played that position on the pro level have no idea what they're talking about.....

Dont categorize us all just yet...

I understand your point.

But listen...a lot of people around here are defensive of "Change", which they should be...and so am I. We havent had a QB/Coach relationship-stableized (sp?) in sometime.

Your right about Ramsey having flaws, I do agree and i get more frustrated than I can explain. 1 of my many beefs w/him is he seems to be locked in on 1 receiver and refuses to swivel his head often and takes a ton of chances w/risky passes. Now I dont know whether or not its a normal habit of his or if it can be corrected...only time will tell. I could probably go on w/others but he's young so I'd like to see him develop and not become the next Trent Green (a young drafted QB who was let go then did well).

Ramsey isnt a 10 year vet so he can be tought "new tricks".

My point is....we havent had any stable QB/Coach relationships and we havent had any young QB's to develop in sometime w/the same coach for more than a year. If we pull the plug on Ramsey then we are essentially starting all over and will have to teach the current system to a new QB.

I say we should hold on and avoid a change at one of the most critical positions in all of sports for atleast 1 more season.

This year and this offseason will serve as the foundation for Ramsey's development...I dont know if he'll be a probowler right now...heck he might play horrid in his first 4 games next year and get benched (it wouldnt surprise me)...but this is the foundation and I'd like to see it grow and then give him the ball next year and see if he can grow.

If Ramsey crashes and burns next year (after nearly 2 years under his belt w/Gibbs) then we MUST start to re-think our options.

I agree w/you vantage point....Ramsey shouldnt be annointed Mayor by any means...

Just remember that we dont have an Eli Manning or Philip Rivers that is being groomed...

We have a Mark Brunell on the bench.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

I love the complete assumption that you're entirely right here. It's not being a homer to hope for the best for the Skins. Being a homer is expecting that Brunell will be great as the starter next year, or that Portis will get 3500 yards rushing next year.

Right on, akhorus.

I only think Portis will rush for 3000 next year. I know, I know, I'm hating on him. But some sense of reality has to be thrown in here sometime.

:laugh:

Huh?

Are you listening and reading, man?

Sonny Jurgensen was a former QB. He was a former 'Skins QB. He was also an announcer hired by the 'Skins when Shuler made his ignominous entry into the annals of 'Skins lore.

What did Sonny, a paid 'Skins employee, say about Shuler, before Heath even took a snap? He said that, based on his camp alone, Shuler didn't have it.

As for Spurrier coming here, what shows are you talking about? I'd love to hear who those folks were. Sure, some said that he might be able to make it. But most others said that he'd follow in the footsteps of most other college football coaches like Lou Holtz. The only distingiushing factor was the fact that Spurrier coached in the USFL and actually had success there.

Salisbury and company on ESPN.

Right on, akhorus.

I only think Portis will rush for 3000 next year. I know, I know, I'm hating on him. But some sense of reality has to be thrown in here sometime.

:laugh:

And if Ramsey doesnt break Peyton Manning's TD record next year, he's a stiff!!!

I'll take your word for it that Salisbury said that. Most others didn't, some for the sole reason because they simply liked to ridicule Snyder and the fact that he abruptly dumped Marty.

The point here is that Jaws is considered an expert and his views are widely respected. So too with Aikman. In addition, I'll take their word for it over yours right now.

Ramsey stunk last year. Lats year was suppose ot be his break out year

So i have him to this year. Either show you can win games without the excuses or leave. Another year more excuses.

He is treated as if he is a kid playing in a grown mens game. And he is trying to adjust. His job is to be the leader. Not to be groomed. He is not some blue chip prospect in his rookie year trying to learn the ropes. He is a average college QB from Tulane who has not played a full season because he has been either benched or not named starter because his play

Carlson Palmer is a example of a QB with upside. Rookie year and showed brilliance at times

Kile Boller is more like Ramsey. Shows nothing but people want to blame others

Peyton Manning would have gone 5-11 with the Skins this year. Sorry he would have. The offense as a whole sucks. Theplaying calling is unimaginative, the WR don't get open because of a combination or routes and lack of talent. The OL is a sieve. Joe Montana in his prime would have sucked as the skins QB this year. Do you think there is any correlation as to why Brunell sucked so bad and Ramsey was only marginally better. I do, the offense was bad as a whole. If, and it's a big if, the Skins OL get better next year and we actually run some NFL plays and not use the High School playbook I would suspect that PR can do the job. Bottom line: It aint the QB.

I can't believe we have to debate this.

Uhh, hello guys, RON JAWORSKI likes Ramsey. That says it all right there.

I have a very tough time respecting the opinion of anyone who doesn't believe Pat Ramsey is a special special player and our QB of the future.

You'll be eating some crow when he's leading us to Super Bowls.

Originally posted by sbk92

I can't believe we have to debate this.

Uhh, hello guys, RON JAWORSKI likes Ramsey. That says it all right there.

I have a very tough time respecting the opinion of anyone who doesn't believe Pat Ramsey is a special special player and our QB of the future.

You'll be eating some crow when he's leading us to Super Bowls.

Is that really you sbk?

Originally posted by MarkPSkins

Peyton Manning would have gone 5-11 with the Skins this year. Sorry he would have. The offense as a whole sucks. Theplaying calling is unimaginative, the WR don't get open because of a combination or routes and lack of talent. The OL is a sieve. Joe Montana in his prime would have sucked as the skins QB this year. Do you think there is any correlation as to why Brunell sucked so bad and Ramsey was only marginally better. I do, the offense was bad as a whole. If, and it's a big if, the Skins OL get better next year and we actually run some NFL plays and not use the High School playbook I would suspect that PR can do the job. Bottom line: It aint the QB.

So why have the QB postion . That is the worse post i ever read in my life. We might as well sign a guy for the vet min if QB does not matter. He is a screw in a machine

And this is a high school playbook? The steelers run the same exact offense

Originally posted by MarkPSkins

Well, wait a minute here, mack.

Have you watched Ramsey as much as some others here?

Archived