Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is It Wrong To Like Another Team?

TheEvilGeniuz

This is by a poster named Muzzy from a few other boards but I think it is fairly accurate to how many feel.

The Rules:

1. If you live within 100 miles of an NFL city, you must root for the team that represents the nearest NFL city, and ONLY that team. If I have to explain why you should root for a team that represents you and your community, it is too late for you. You are probably the type of person who rooted for the Soviet ice hockey team at Lake Placid.

A. Caveat A - If you Dad relocated from another city and imparted his love of that city's team upon you, you may root for either your Dad's team or your hometown team. But not both.

B. Caveat B - If you do not live within 100 miles of an NFL city, you are free to root for whomever you want, as long as you are not a fan of two or more of the following teams - Cowboys, Lakers, Bulls, Yankees and Red Wings.

2. If you move from an NFL city after having been a fan of that city's team for any extended period of time, you cannot immediately switch loyalty to your new city's team.

3. If you are a "life long" Cowboys/Yankees fan, do not try and convince me you are not a bandwagoner. I don't believe you.

4. I do not care if your brothers and uncles all rooted for the Cowboys. Just because you come from a pack of rats doesn't make you any less of a rat.

5. If you root for a team because of their color scheme or helmets, just get it over with, change your name to Sandy V*gina, and watch the Lifetime Channel on Sundays.

6. I do not care if you have been a "die-hard" fan of "your" team through thick and thin. John Walker Lindh has remained loyal to the Taliban all this time. It doesn't make him any less of a rat f-*ck turncoat.

7. If you cannot adhere to any of these rules, please do me a favor and buzz off. Do not root for any of my teams. I'd hate to think that the guy who is high fiving me whenever A.I. breaks someone's ankles is the same guy who was revelling in my pain last January.

I usually develop a "rooting interest" in another team during years we are not doing well. Or Decades!!!!! It is determined by a particular player I like and want to see do well. The Elway Broncos (During years were we weren't beating them. Hahaha!!) are one example. I'd like to see Brett get another ring. He's been through a ton of tragedy and has been a superb role model. Plus he's tuff as nails. So I will be rooting for the Pack this offseason.

Like Blade I "like" two others teams. The Bills (I'm from Rochester, NY and I get force fed Bills stuff *shrug*) and I've always had a soft spot for the Lions, lovable loser type of deal.

However, "Like" is used in the sense that I don't hate these teams. It doesn't mean I cheer for them ever, or care if they win or lose...

I have one team...

The Washington Redskins...

So in response to the question "Is it wrong to have two favorite teams?"

I say yes.

No team from any sport will ever fill me with the absolute elation following a victory or sick feeling in the pit of my stomach following defeat than does the Redskins.

I will say, though, that now that I've moved to NY - I follow the Jets since they are the hometown team not in the NFC East. I want to see em win, but I care a lot less when they lose, that's for sure.

Whoever made the comment about loving 2 women is like loving 2 teams - its impossible......that was BRILLIANT. I couldnt have said it better myself. Im going to use that line in the future - Thanks!

There is no such thing as having 2 favorite teams.

Those who have a "Second favorite" are just hiding behind that 2nd favorite because the Skins sucked this year.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I live & die by the Redskins year in and year out and there is no other way to look at it.

There is no 2nd favorite or 3rd favorite or 12th favorite.

I hate Dallas

I hate The Giants

I hate The Eagles

And I hate the Ravens...anyone playing those teams would be a team I root for but thats it. Otherwise I root for the Redskins no matter what the circumstances.

...In this year's playoffs I could care less who wins (except I will be rooting heavily against the Eagles).

The Washington Redskins is all I know and will know. I go to the grave w/this franchise no matter what happens & no matter who plays for them or coaches them.

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

There is no 2nd favorite or 3rd favorite or 12th favorite.

I hate Dallas

I hate The Giants

I hate The Eagles

And I hate the Ravens...anyone playing those teams would be a team I root for but thats it. Otherwise I root for the Redskins no matter what the circumstances.

:notworthy

my thoughts exactly :cheers:

Been a Redskins fan since I was 7 yrs old...no other team in football or any other sport can come close to matching my love for the Skins. Not even close.

That being said, I do have a rooting interest for several other teams.

The Rams - because my brother has rooted for them since the late '70's.

Fantasy football increased my "love" for other teams, so I end up watching their games because of it. This year I drafted Willis McGahee..when he started playing more in the 2nd half of the season I found myself pulling for the Bills. Even though the fantasy season is over...I'll still root for them through the playoffs (if they get there) because of him.

In the example someone used of "would you cheat on your wife, then the answer is no you cannot like another team"...the Redskins are like my wife - the one and only. The Bills and Rams are like the lovely ladies in the Daily Babe Thread. Nice to look at, but in the end you don't really care if they get knocked out of the playoffs

Interesting question.

I really only like one team, the Redskins, but will root for other teams to win.

For example, I'm a fan of John Fox, so I root for the Panthers. If he didn't coach Carolina, I probably wouldn't care if they won or lost.

Mike Tice is a UMD alum, so I usually root for the Vikings (except this weekend, of course). Though, his poor coaching is making it exceedingly difficult to continue to support him. After next year, when Tice's contract is up and he's gone, I'm not sure I will give a care about the Vikings.

In a sense, I could care less about other teams, but I do wish success for them due to the individuals associated with that team.

Well I've found that being "in love" and "love" are two completely different animals. I'm head over heels, nuts-crazy in love with the Redskins.

That being said, I'm also in love with the game of football. So it is natural for me to love another team as long as they pose no threat to my Redskins.

My second love is the New Orleans Saints. I've always seemed to pull for the underdog...even loved the cartoon! "There's no need to fear...":laugh:

Now the very few times that N.O. and Washington have played each other I had no qualms turning my back on the Saints. If I showed any mercy towards them it was just me wishing for a competitive game and not a blow out. Like I said, I'm in love with the game and want to see it played well. I did get to go to 2 Saints v. Skins games, one in the late '80's at RFK and once in N.O. three years ago. I had no problems wearing my Skin's gear all day long through the French Quarter. In fact, there were more Skin's fans in the Superdome than Saint's fans!:laugh:

On a side bar: Saint's tickets are CHEAP!!! If you want to see a game but refuse to pay a king's ransome so your family can go too, fly to N.O., make a weekend holiday of it and catch a game. Much better value.:2cents:

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

I hate Dallas

I hate The Giants

I hate The Eagles

Substitute Redskins for Eagles and normally I'm right with you.... not this weekend though.... I'm not going to be "rooting" for the Vikes.... and not for any playoff implications either.... and I won't be "rooting" for the Skins either.... but I would rather see the Skins win the game this weekend...... since they are out of the playoffs I'd just assume to see my fiance and many of my good friends enjoy a win for the season finale than go out on a loss...

:cheers:

I lived in Chicago so I kinda got into the Bears...however, I did grow up here and had a family full of rabid Redskins fans, for which I am eternally grateful.

So, to answer your question, I follow the Bears and hope they do well, but if they ever play the Redskins....sorry Chicago!

Archived