Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Gibbs to take hard look at offense

bubba9497

Gibbs to take hard look at offense

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20041228-121332-8747r

A day after watching his offense revert to its struggling midseason form, Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs outlined a plan to review all aspects of personnel and schemes so that changes can be implemented this offseason.

The coaching staff will meet from Jan. 4, two days after Sunday's finale against the Minnesota Vikings, until probably Jan. 7. Evaluations will be presented to owner Dan Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato as the team begins formulating a plan for 2005.

Although Gibbs offered no names, the continued struggles on offense likely will put wide receivers Rod Gardner, Darnerien McCants and Taylor Jacobs under close scrutiny. Also, salary-cap considerations could contribute to a hard look at left tackle Chris Samuels.

Gibbs indicated all elements of the team will be subject to review. However, certain compliments he issued -- for veteran leadership and the defense, for example -- established where change is unlikely to occur.

"By the end of the week, we're going to have laid out where we stand as a football team," Gibbs said.

Of greatest concern is Gibbs' once-famed offense, which has devolved into a plodding, conservative attack reminiscent of 2001's "MartyBall."

This year's longest gain was running back Clinton Portis' 64-yard touchdown run on the second play of the opener. No. 1 wide receiver Laveranues Coles is on pace to top 90 catches and finish with less than 1,000 yards. And only the Chicago Bears have scored fewer points (217) than the Redskins (219).

In fact, barring an outburst this weekend, these Redskins will score fewer points than Marty Schottenheimer's team in 2001 (256).

"That starts with me," Gibbs said. "We're going to have to take a long, hard look at everything we do on offense, every part of our offense and every part of our scheme."

Gibbs said he won't consider changing Washington's fundamental one-back philosophy, but he added he's open to tinkering with the play-calling. That said, the Redskins have been tinkering pretty much all year.

"We're trying to be progressive," Gibbs said. "Our philosophy is we'd like to be balanced. We'd like to get big plays, and we'd like to run the football. I think that will kind of stay true to form. But we're looking at everything as we go."

Washington had been showing signs of progress in recent weeks, but Sunday's 13-10 loss at Dallas seemed to be a major step back. The Redskins generated just 233 yards, their fifth-lowest total of the season, and a review of this season's NFL scores showed that in only about 2 percent of the contests did the winning team score 10 or fewer points.

Players yesterday acknowledged their scoring problems but didn't sound overly concerned. They mostly credited the Cowboys with playing aggressive, sound defense.

"Really and truly, I'm not making any sort of excuses. I think they did a real good job defensively," quarterback Patrick Ramsey said. "We had just a few plays here or there, at critical times, we were unable to convert."

Gibbs agreed: "I would say [it was] two very good defenses rockin' and sockin'."

Still, with Washington (5-10) making little if any progress from last season, something's got to change. Gardner will draw the most scrutiny among players because he hasn't produced in four years. The 15th overall pick in 2001, Gardner has just 50 catches for 641 yards this year. Because one year remains on the five-year, $7.7 million contract he signed as a rookie, he could be cut or traded.

McCants, meanwhile, signed a three-year, $4.5 million extension last spring but has been inactive in nine games. Jacobs, a second-round pick in 2003, caught two passes at Dallas but has just 13 on the year. Both players are emblematic of the Redskins' failure to find a legitimate No. 3 target.

Of course, an injury to Coles has played a role. Coles signed a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2003 to be the deep threat, but a toe injury has hampered him both seasons. Club officials still haven't determined whether he will undergo surgery.

Erratic pass protection also is a factor. Although Samuels hasn't been bad, he's a non-Pro Bowl player making Pro Bowl money -- $6.5 million in salary and bonuses in 2005. Center Cory Raymer, meanwhile, has had a rough year, and guards Randy Thomas and Derrick Dockery have been up and down.

Next week, all of them will go under Gibbs' microscope.

"We've got to pick the right players," Gibbs said. "And then we've got to be geared up [for], 'Where can we help the team the most?' By the end of next week, that's our goal, to have it all listed. We're going to present that to the scouts and Dan and Vinny, and then we're going to progress from there."

Let the overhauling begin. Aside form Portis and Ramsey, the offense we see on the field next season, especially the offensive line, will probably be very different.

I think Gardner, McCants, Jacobs, Samuels, Thomas, Raymer, and Dockery will all be out of here. Aside from Jansen, the entire line will be different, and we will have a new #2, and #3 receiver on this team.

Originally posted by Resurrection

Let the overhauling begin. Aside form Portis and Ramsey, the offense we see on the field next season, especially the offensive line, will probably be very different.

I think Gardner, McCants, Jacobs, Samuels, Thomas, Raymer, and Dockery will all be out of here. Aside from Jansen, the entire line will be different, and we will have a new #2, and #3 receiver on this team.

yes im sure we're going to dump Dockery ( only a 2nd year player who can still improve) and one of our big FA signings of last year Thomas (who is better than any G out there this year and he would cost to much to cut):doh:

Jacobs is also going to stay. He's a tough kid who plays and practices hard.

A bit overboard.

Originally posted by dfbovey

A bit overboard.

Maybe, maybe not. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they go that far. What have any of those players done to distinguish themselves this season? I wonder if Gibbs believes the Redskins can succeed with those players.

One statistic that absolutely kills me, and I'm starting to wonder if we have some players who are just plain dumb is the penalties. We groaned all last year about the lack of discipline, and the dumb penalties. Penalties were one statistic that were supposed to drop significantly this year, and should have. Well, this year they have been just as bad especially the o-line. The problem was the same under Gibbs as Spurrier. What does that mean?

I doubt the team can even afford to cut some of the guys you listed due to their accelerated signing bonuses. Especially Thomas.

I think we'd be better off keeping Samuels and Jansen, Dockery and Thomas... add a new Center and depth on the line. Dockery is young, next year should be do or die for him. Raymer is a liability and won't get any better. Samuels isn't the greatest, but for the right price I'd rather keep him. Thomas has been inconsistant but he's played injured and has still been our best lineman this year.

WR... get Coles healthy and add a real possession WR to the mix to compliment him. We have Jacobs and McCants who would both be fine as the #3 and #4 guy, and Thrash as a utility.

Cut Morton, Raymer, Barrow, Jimoh and Gardner loose.

Originally posted by Clark84

I have complete faith in Coach making the right moves.

I definately agree here. Coach Gibbs will do what he has to do, and I truly believe that he will right the ship. Like I said though, I just wouldn't be surprised if that means more significant changes then people are expecting. I think we are going to see what Coach REALLY thinks this off season. He is always very respectful of his teams during the regular season, and doesn't call anybody out. Not only do I think a great majority of those players I mentioned will be gone, but I bet 1 or 2 shockers are going to be released also. Players, that none of the fans would ever think were going to be released. I could be wrong, we'll have to just wait and see what happens, but I bet we won't have to wait long.

Originally posted by dfbovey

I doubt the team can even afford to cut some of the guys you listed due to their accelerated signing bonuses. Especially Thomas.

I think we'd be better off keeping Samuels and Jansen, Dockery and Thomas... add a new Center and depth on the line. Dockery is young, next year should be do or die for him. Raymer is a liability and won't get any better. Samuels isn't the greatest, but for the right price I'd rather keep him. Thomas has been inconsistant but he's played injured and has still been our best lineman this year.

WR... get Coles healthy and add a real possession WR to the mix to compliment him. We have Jacobs and McCants who would both be fine as the #3 and #4 guy, and Thrash as a utility.

Cut Morton, Raymer, Barrow, Jimoh and Gardner loose.

You could be right. I didn't mention Morton, or Jimoh either, but I think they could very well be out of here also. Morton especially, he gets to much money for what he brings to the table. Especially now, that he clearly won't be a contributor at RB, which is one of the reasons Spurrier brought him here.

I agree that Gardner, McCants, Samuels, and Raymer will be gone off the O...

I think Gibbs likes Taylor that's why he is playing more at the end of the season, if you havent noticed he has take McCants spot in that Goaline Package....

You guys want some shocker cuts...?...try this on for size....

I will not be surprised to see Samuels cut this next year....And Arrington's injury MIGHT just keep him from being cut as well...but this arbibitrary thing won't help matters however....

i think gardner is going to get the knife....

Chad Morton is also a possibilty....Raymer is a definate cut....!

I see Hasslebeck gone just so Gibbs can draft and groom his own prodige....They will keep both brunell and Ramsey for now....

I'm also concerned with john hall getting cut..don't know why....?He's good.....!!I like him...

Tupa may have a say in that however....?...

Wynn needs to go....He's too much money!

Barrow could get his walking papers as well...With arrington,pierce,washington,marshall and clemons playing well....

I just think that some of these injured players MIGHT be held accountable for what gibbs plans on doing this next year....

So look out!!

raymer?...history...we will draft or sign an FA center

gardner?...history...but who becomes the possession receiver?

samuels?.....history...it will play out as restructure new contract more to performance incentives and he will refuse. trade or FA.

mccants?...history....too bad....never got a cahce to do the one thing this team needs most: sacore friggin touchdowns.

morton?...history....brown is cheaper and seems to have a quicker upfield move

one of the DEs....history...we will draft or sign an FA

dockery?.....last chance for him......we will da=raft some gueards just as we drafted tackles last season

kozlowski?...history.....we will draft a TE in the mid rounds

rock?...history...unless special teams play was good enough to save him

sellers?.....history...too many bonehead mistakes

brown?....makes the team....moves to a backup role or shifts to left guard with Dockery becoming a backup......

questions: can Ramsey throw a touch pass deep? Started thinking about this after watching MNF graphics on McNuggets deep passes. are some of our problems traceable to PR not being able to throw a deep pass that angles in over the defense? or is all abut poor blocking, receeivers who cannot get open and predictable playcalling? If PR can't make the touch passes....then everything else is moot.....

One statistic that absolutely kills me, and I'm starting to wonder if we have some players who are just plain dumb is the penalties. We groaned all last year about the lack of discipline, and the dumb penalties. Penalties were one statistic that were supposed to drop significantly this year, and should have. Well, this year they have been just as bad especially the o-line. The problem was the same under Gibbs as Spurrier. What does that mean?

Dockery doesn't exactly strike me as a Rhoads scholar. He's good for at least one false start every game.

Originally posted by jtyler42

I agree that Gardner, McCants, Samuels, and Raymer will be gone off the O...

I think Gibbs likes Taylor that's why he is playing more at the end of the season, if you havent noticed he has take McCants spot in that Goaline Package....

From a strategic standpoint, I don't know if that's a good thing. Jacobs is still a smallish receiver who has trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. I don't know if he's the ideal goalline WR. That's the good thing about McCants, he's bigger and stronger.

Dockery will get demoted to 2nd string, but he's cheap enough I doubt he gets cut.

Samuels is a goner (I hope).

Gardner will likely stick for one more year, again because he's a cheaper alternative. Look for him to have a big contract year, then bust wherever he gets signed....

Raymer is gone.

We'll sign a bruising TE.

Sadly, McCants is likely gone, and will make us look stupid by breaking out wherever he goes (sadly, probably Philly as the # 2).

Jacobs will likely stick because of special teams and a cheap price tag, but he was a stupid pick.

Rock, who could've been our short yardage back before Byner told him to lose 20 lbs, will sadly be a victim of that bad advice, and land on his feet elsewhere.

Goodbye Mr. Penalties Mike Sellers.

Morton is history.

In summary, only Thomas and Jansen will be holdovers on the OL; the other side will be rebuilt from scratch.

Look for us to pick up/draft a pass rusher, a blocking TE, 4 OL, and a new WR.

"We're trying to be progressive," Gibbs said. "Our philosophy is we'd like to be balanced. We'd like to get big plays, and we'd like to run the football. I think that will kind of stay true to form. But we're looking at everything as we go."

If the offensive coaches are trying to be progressive, wouldn't it be a good idea to add a smart, young offensive coach to the braintrust?

I'm just glad he knows we need to make some changes. I know a solid # 2 reciever would help, a deep threat. Let Coles do the short stuff, the O line definately needs help, I thought Thomas was having a good year. I tend to not pay attetnion to the O Line. Royal is starting to play better in the last few games. I guess we'll all just see what happens. I really like Samuels, but the makes way to much. He'll probably become an Iggle and cowpuke and haunt us for the rest of his career.

Archived