Extremeskins

Possible QB Change in Dallas!

afparent

Undecided Parcells Leaves Door Open For Possible QB Change

Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Dec. 20, 2004, 5:47 p.m. (CST)

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=F2C1E4CD-CEE8-CD57-FD22FFD9FF4DB85C

IRVING, Texas - The question is starting to become a regular part of the Monday press conference here at Valley Ranch.

Every week following the game, Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells is asked the status of his quarterback position, and whether Vinny Testaverde will remain the starter.

The answer has always been the same . . . until Monday.

Now Parcells didn't exactly give a definitive answer, but this time he didn't automatically say Testaverde would start this Sunday against the Redskins, seemingly leaving the door wide open for either Tony Romo sits to pee or Drew Henson to finally get the call.

And Parcells admitted there has not been a huge change of heart from what he has insisted all season about Testaverde giving the team the best chance to win. But after the Cowboys' 12-7 loss to Philadelphia, which puts them in a big hole with only two games to play and one game out of the final wild-card playoff spot in the unstable NFC, Parcells appears to be wavering on if his 41-year-old veteran will continue starting or if he will hand over a start to one of the youngsters.

"It's hard for me to do something maybe that I feel like is against what gives us the best chance to win," Parcells said Monday afternoon. "That's just against my nature to do that. So I just have to think about what we'll do and decide. I'll let you know Wednesday.

"I know it's hard not to think about it around here. But I do think about it, and overall what the upside is and overall what the downside is. I already know what the curiosity level is."

And it's not just curiosity about making a change at quarterback, but to which quarterback - Romo sits to pee or Henson?

Parcells said he has not decided if a change is made which quarterback he would go to, Romo sits to pee or Henson, saying he puts those two questions "both in the same category."

However, Romo sits to pee was elevated to the No. 2 quarterback last week, a move Parcells said had more to do with getting Romo sits to pee practice reps with the first- and second-team units instead of taking only reps with the scout team.

But there seemed to be a feeling around Valley Ranch last week that switching quarterbacks had more to do with than just practice. One source close to the quarterback situation said Romo sits to pee was expected to play the second half against Philadelphia, likely getting him ready for his first start against Washington.

However, the Cowboys didn't play like 12-point underdogs and kept the game close, only losing the lead in the final two minutes. Had the Cowboys fallen behind early, it was expected Romo sits to pee would replace Testaverde at quarterback.

But the Cowboys stayed in the game, and despite the loss, they're still in the playoff race, although it won't be easy to sneak in. But the 5-9 Cowboys still have a shot, considering 6-8 Carolina would be the sixth playoff team in the NFC, beating out two other 6-8 teams (New Orleans, St. Louis) based on tiebreakers.

And that's where this thing appears to be tricky for Parcells, who knows his team has not been eliminated from playoff contention and admitted Monday that Testaverde still is the best quarterback for this team, in his eyes.

"Sure, I do think that (Testaverde) gave us the best chance to win up to this point," Parcells said. "Or I wouldn't have done it."

Up to this point? Have things changed at this point?

Apparently they have a little or Parcells wouldn't be indecisive about who starts at quarterback Sunday against Washington (5-9). It appeared last week he was ready to play either Henson or Romo sits to pee, but said facing the Eagles defense on the road wouldn't be an ideal situation for a young quarterback.

Although the Cowboys return home this week, the coach said Washington's defense, which ranks No. 2 in the NFL, still is a big concern.

"I'm just thinking about the whole situation," Parcells said. "The team, the remaining opponents, what we're confronted with here. Washington has been playing very good on defense. They try to pressure the quarterback a lot. Like I told you, it might not be conducive to the best thing for a young quarterback to face."

But while neither of the three quarterbacks had an answer as to who would start, which now is considered a possibility since Romo sits to pee inadvertently leaked his promotion to the backup through the media last week, they all said they will be prepared to play.

"Right now, I don't know what's going to happen," said Testaverde, who now leads the NFC with 19 interceptions, including two more on Sunday. "No one has told me anything. We're just going to go watch the film and get ready for this week. I don't make the decisions. So I just continue to prepare the way I have all season long."

And that is the gist of what Romo sits to pee and Henson said as well, both affirming they will be ready if called upon.

At least Henson has played parts of a fourth quarter in Baltimore and the first half against Chicago, although his ineffectiveness led to his benching at halftime. But for Romo sits to pee, playing this week or at sometime before the season is out, would be his NFL debut, and the second-year quarterback said being prepared is his top priority.

"I know I have to get myself ready to play, both physically and mentally," Romo sits to pee said. "When you get out there, if you're not prepared, it will show. I think I've been getting myself ready for this all year long, and so I have no excuse not to be ready. It's just a matter of being confident and having an understanding of what we're trying to do. So if I get the chance, I'll be ready to go."

The quarterbacks seem ready for the answer. It's the coach who appears hesitant to give one.

I hope and pray that Drew Henson will start...he looked awful against Da Bears on Thanksgiving.....we would make him look even worse.

Honestly though if Testerverde starts Im a little worried because he hasnt thrown a pick in the last 2 games weve played him (MNF vs. Dallas - week 3 & last year on Thursday night vs. the Jets).

I want a shot at fresh meat w/Henson. I cant believe they would start Romo sits to pee.

The gameplan should be the same regardless of who's QBing. Put a helmet on Whitten and don't let him slip off the line of scimmage and down the soft seam in the defense. He's killed teams this year feigning blocking and then slipping down the hashmarks for a big gain.

Put a man on him.... stay with him... tie him up at the LOS and don't let him slip away.... and Dallas shouldn't be able to move the ball against us. They're receivers don't scare me anymore, especially since Bryant is gone.

Originally posted by Potato Sack

Yeh...we're worried about either one of them. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Originally posted by KDawg

Not like it matters, China. All three of their quarterbacks will throw it directly to our defenders anyways...

I'm glad you guys are confident in spite of the fact that we have only beaten Dallas once in the last 13 tries.

I agree with one of the previous posters.

Doesn't matter who they put on their roster at qb.

Skins defense is pursuing their own goal #1.

Skins defense is just too tough. It is going to be a long

day for whoever is at QB.

I forget the LB names we picked up fm the Browns, but between

him and Arrington coming off the corners it is not going to be pretty for the Cowboys.

Dorsey was picked 4 times I think.

I figure at least 3 picks by our D on Dallas, I have never seen the skins defense swarm to the ball like I have this year.

The only way Dallas gets anywhere is if they get lucky with the run and of course of PF's by Taylor, Taylor always gives the other team 1 15yard gift. You think he does it just so he can hit someone again, or does he get pissed because he didnt hit the guy hard enough?

Originally posted by China

I'm glad you guys are confident in spite of the fact that we have only beaten Dallas once in the last 13 tries.

Will all of you guys stop brining this stupid statistic up.. Its a different team, different D Ranked #2 and our offense is working in to JG game plan the way he wanted them to.

You cant compare the old with the new. New era, that MNF game was our game and we got screwed. We will beat the cowgirls and for all of you doubters and haters book mark this post, CAUSE I TOLD YOU SO... :D

:wewantd:

:dallasuck

:point2sky

Originally posted by skins1972

Will all of you guys stop brining this stupid statistic up.. Its a different team, different D Ranked #2 and our offense is working in to JG game plan the way he wanted them to.

You cant compare the old with the new. New era, that MNF game was our game and we got screwed. We will beat the cowgirls and for all of you doubters and haters book mark this post, CAUSE I TOLD YOU SO... :D

:wewantd:

:dallasuck

:point2sky

When does this "New Era" start? Because in the last, oh, 6 seasons or so you guys have had about 2 or 3 "New Eras" and its just more of the same. The Eagles have one of the top Offenses and Defenses and they played from behind the entire game on Sunday. That #2 Defense doesn't really scare me a whole lot after that...Any given sunday.....

This is what is going to happen. I don't know who is going to win, but i'll bet it'll be a close game....close...and boring. I wouldnt be surprised if it ends 13-7 or something like that.

It IS a smokescreen and it DOESN'T matter who they start. It hasn't mattered in about 8 years who they start.

I'd like to see Vinny in there, though. If we win I want it to be against their best. If we lose, I sure don't want it to be against Drew Henson. (Oh, the humanity.:doh: )

Honestly, this skins game doesnt mean jack to me. We arent going anywhere, win or lose, and i'd MUCH rather lose with Henson than win with Vinny. Its time to get Henson some playing time. Vinny may get us a W, but at this point, i'd rather lose and get the future QB some PT and help draft position. Great rivalry or no, it doesnt mean much when both teams suck. The benefits of losing far outweigh any pride, IMO

The Cowboys are in disarray and the Skins look like they are really coming together. If the Skins can get up early on the Cowboys, they can "Portis-them" to death. I really like a Gibbs team with a lead. I think we see the tides change this week in Dallas. Wheither the Skins make the playoffs or not, I see them winning this game and it not even being close.

Archived