Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The phenomenon that is the 3-4 defense

The_Posse91

Look at the teams that run the 3-4. Pitt., New england,baltimore, ATL., SD. Is it a Coincidence that these teams are in the playoffs or in the hunt. What is it about the 3-4 that works so well. I know the skins D is better then just about all of them but it seems that most teams that use it are successfull. Why is that?

I think the 3-4 gives opposing teams QB more confusing looks than a regular defense, I'm not totally sure though. Its hard to find the right personell to run the 3-4 though. BTW ATL has switched to the 4-3 defense. Interesting point you bring up though. There are some great 3-4 defenses this year.

atlanta doesn't run a 3-4 anymore. They did under Reeves, now Mora is back to the 4-3, that's why Brooking is going off this year. Atlanta sucked a big fat ass under the 3-4, now trhey are a top team in the league after one year.

The only advantage the 3-4 has over the 4-3 is that not many teams run it, so the offense isn't as used to seeing the 3-4 as a 4-3. And you need very special defensive linemen.

Originally posted by The_Posse91

Look at the teams that run the 3-4. Pitt., New england,baltimore, ATL., SD. Is it a Coincidence that these teams are in the playoffs or in the hunt. What is it about the 3-4 that works so well. I know the skins D is better then just about all of them but it seems that most teams that use it are successfull. Why is that?

They have the line to apply pressure with 3... we don't. even if we did, we don't need to, not with our corners and safeties. We don't need that extra LB in coverage or blitzing, we have the best secondary lb core in the league imo.

Originally posted by Renegade7

Our base D is 4-3, but I've seen us do 3-4 on numerous occasions. Why does it work? The blitzing and versatility of the defense.

It works because you only get 6 days to gameplan and prepare. When you look at G. Willams' defense, you see blitzes coming from places that you don't see from other teams. You have to spend time teaching your players how to read where the blitzes are going to be coming from, linebacker, safety, or CB. That's takes a while, becasue almost no teams blitz the litany of different types of players that we are willing to. You get maybe a half a practice to gameplan for our small amount of 3-4 plays. That's why they work when we pull them out.

Originally posted by Renegade7

Our base D is 4-3, but I've seen us do 3-4 on numerous occasions. Why does it work? The blitzing and versatility of the defense.

Your actually seeing a form of the prevent defense I think.. I've never seen 3 down linemen and 4 linebackers this year.. I've seen 3 down linemen, 3 line backers and 5 DB's.

Also've seen 2 down linemen, 4 linebackers and 5 DB's. but that's rare and we usually will blitz one of the linebackers or corners. Not sure we've ever employed your basic 3-4 D all year, I could be wrong though, a lot of plays to keep track of them all ;p.

Most of those teams, ( except Baltimore), have some fairly respectable offenses that go with that defense. Why I don't think there's that much of a coincidence with those teams and the 3-4 and such, I do believe it helps to have that O thing. Hand and hand....so forth....

you have to have the right personel to run a 3-4 defense...fast linebackers...and 3 strong and agile lineman...Oakland runs a 3-4 and big boy Warren Sapp got moved to DE and is struggling. Plus, I remember Gibbs saying in the early 90's that the key to beat a 3-4 D' is to have a solid blocking TE.

I would love for us to switch to a 3-4 and draft Ahmad Brooks to play inside with Pierce and Barrow. We would have Washington and LA with Clemons outside. We have the guys to play on the d-line anyway with Big Joe,Griff,Noble and Daniels and Wynn are both protypical 3-4 ends. Brooks already plays ILB in a 3-4 and plays De on 3rd downs. We would have the fastest,nastiest defense in the league. We would intimidate everyone with fast vicious hitters who can all blitz.

Originally posted by Samuels

I would love for us to switch to a 3-4 and draft Ahmad Brooks to play inside with Pierce and Barrow. We would have Washington and LA with Clemons outside. We have the guys to play on the d-line anyway with Big Joe,Griff,Noble and Daniels and Wynn are both protypical 3-4 ends. Brooks already plays ILB in a 3-4 and plays De on 3rd downs. We would have the fastest,nastiest defense in the league. We would intimidate everyone with fast vicious hitters who can all blitz.

Not a bad idea but why change something that isnt broke!?!?!

it is effective only if you have the players that can run it. The Ravens I guess are the best example, they essentially have 4 stud LB's even if Peter Boulware is out. Their front 3 have been receiving praise, but I think only cause of how impressive their LB's are, focuing on speed and strength. Plus, they have the secondary to match many other good secondaries.

I dont think we could emply the 3-4, we dont have the d-linemen that are effective for it, and our LB's may be good, but I dont think are on par with the Ravens yet.

Its just a confusing tactic, many of those teams that claim 3-4 still come out on 4-3 packages, all teams will very up at different times.

Originally posted by HoGz - For - Life

Your actually seeing a form of the prevent defense I think.. I've never seen 3 down linemen and 4 linebackers this year.. I've seen 3 down linemen, 3 line backers and 5 DB's.

Also've seen 2 down linemen, 4 linebackers and 5 DB's. but that's rare and we usually will blitz one of the linebackers or corners. Not sure we've ever employed your basic 3-4 D all year, I could be wrong though, a lot of plays to keep track of them all ;p.

I've seen the 3-4 a couple times on 3rd and long, but not very often other then that.

Originally posted by FullbackIsKey

It works because you only get 6 days to gameplan and prepare. When you look at G. Willams' defense, you see blitzes coming from places that you don't see from other teams. You have to spend time teaching your players how to read where the blitzes are going to be coming from, linebacker, safety, or CB. That's takes a while, becasue almost no teams blitz the litany of different types of players that we are willing to. You get maybe a half a practice to gameplan for our small amount of 3-4 plays. That's why they work when we pull them out.

Can't it be both?

i was watching nfl films presents on espn and it had the broncos vs the packers in the super bowl. anyways shannahan would love it every time the pack came out i 3-4 because his running play were dominat with that package. it seems like a major weakness with this 3-4 defense is the kind of running offense the broncos use

i was watching nfl films presents on espn and it had the broncos vs the packers in the super bowl. anyways shannahan would love it every time the pack came out i 3-4 because his running play were dominat with that package. it seems like a major weakness with this 3-4 defense is the kind of zone blocking type thing the broncos use [/b]

Archived